[GUIDE][GB/JB] All About Galaxy Ace 2 GT-I8160. Flashing, Pre-rooted Firmwares, etc.

Search This thread

kyrillos13

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 26, 2010
Athens
How to flash a new firmware to your phone with ODIN

8415795940_cd19730c4a_b.jpg

8414751263_cbf568ed60_b.jpg

Latest available Gingerbread Europe firmware: I8160XXLL2 (26 December 2012) [Android 2.3.6]

Latest available Jelly Bean Europe firmware: I8160XXMG2 (5 July 2013) [Android 4.1.2]

Instructions (Gingerbread)

1. If you don't have Samsung Kies installed in your computer, download and install Samsung USB Drivers. Download Odin 3.07 (latest), too.
  2. Go to: http://www.sammobile.com/firmware/, type "I8160" in the search and download the firmware you want. Alternatively you can make/download a pre-rooted firmware from the second post if you want.
  3. Extract the firmware and you will get something like I8160XXLL2_I8160OXXLL2_HOME.tar.md5
  4. Make sure that you have at least 15% battery. Put your phone in Odin Mode. (Turn off your phone, and then press: volume down + home + power button simultaneously for 3-4 seconds)
  5. Open Odin 3.07, connect your phone and you will see an ID:COM box filled with blue at the top-left corner. (1st image)
  6. Tick 'PDA' click it to select the I8160*****_I8160******_HOME.tar.md5 file you extracted in step 3.
  7. Take a deep breath. Press 'Start'. The flashing process will take about 6 minutes.
  8. When you see a green box with 'PASS' at the top-left corner, then you can disconnect the phone's cable. (2nd image)
  9. Enjoy.

Instructions (Jelly Bean)

1. If you don't have Samsung Kies installed in your computer, download and install Samsung USB Drivers. Download Odin 3.07 (latest), too.
  2. Go here to download XXMB2 JB leak (outdated) or here to download XXMB4 JB leak (outdated). You can find ME7/MF1 on Ace 2 General Forum.
  3. Extract the firmware and you will see a few files. CODE_I8160XXMF1.tar, CSC_OXA_I8160OXAMF1.tar and GT-I8160_EUR_XX_4G.pit will be used in ODIN.
  4. Make sure that you have at least 15% battery. Put your phone in Odin Mode. (Turn off your phone, and then press: volume down + home + power button simultaneously for 3-4 seconds)
  5. Open Odin 3.07, connect your phone and you will see an ID:COM box filled with blue at the top-left corner. (1st image)
  6. (Skip this step if you are already on JB) If you are on a GB firmware, click 'PIT' and select GT-I8160_EUR_XX_4G.pit. Re-partition box should be checked in options. Warning!!! Don't tick repartition if you are already on MB2/MB4/MC8 and you want to go to a newer firmware!
  7. Click 'PDA' and select CODE_I8160XXMF1.tar & 'CSC' and select CSC_OXA_I8160OXAMF1.tar.
  8. Take a deep breath. Press 'Start'. The flashing process will take about 8 minutes.
  9. When you see a green box with 'PASS' at the top-left corner, then you can disconnect the phone's cable. (2nd image)
  10. Enjoy.

Notes:

Odin: Its the latest available version, slightly modified by me, so all other options & file download options except 'PDA' are deactivated for safety.
Firmware: Always update to the latest available so you have the more recent bugfixes, stability fixes and new features.
Upgrading with Odin, won't wipe your data & won't increase the flash counter.
I take no resposibility if your phone explodes or sth ;)

Last edited:

kyrillos13

Sep 26, 2010
Athens
Official ROOTED firmwares for the SGA2 (Multi-CSC)

PRE-ROOTED STOCK FIRMWARES

The following firmwares are completely stock, original firmwares, with only the addition of the 2 needed files, su binary and Superuser.apk.
(Explanation: The first one (su) is the 'root' itself, while the second is the app that allows or denies superuser permissions to other processes).

This does not have CWM recovery, or any modifications. You can add those later yourself, if you wish. This is just the Samsung rom, rooted. Nothing more.

If you have OXX csc in your firmware (most of central-eastern Europe does; you can check by typing *#1234# and looking at the CSC - I8160OXXxxx), feel free to flash it on top with Odin, it will not wipe your data.

You don't have to install stock firmware first and then this. You should install this directly. Its stock firmware + SuperSU :)

8430403993_76c18d6beb_b.jpg

This does NOT trigger the flash counter!

- Unroot
If for some reason you don't want to be root anymore, (e.g. returning your phone for service or selling it), just go into the SuperSU app, go to settings, and press Full Unroot. That's it, no more root.
(Goes without saying: you should first remove any mods you did while rooted).

- Download

I8160XXLL2 (Android 2.3.6, OXX multi-csc, PDA: I8160XXLL2, CSC: I8160OXXLL2, SuperSU 1.0.2 included)

Password: kyrillos13
Note: Individual csc contained in these OXX multicsc:
AMN, ATL, BGL, CMF, COA, COS, CRO, CYO, DCM, DNF, ERO, EUR, GBL, ITV, KOR, MBM, MKO, MSR, MTL, NEE, OMN, ORS, PHE, ROM, SEB, SIM, SMO, TCL, TEB, TMS, TMT, TOP, TPH, TRA, TRG, TSR, TWO, VDC, VDF, VDH, VIM, VOM, VVT, WIN, XEE, XEF, XEH, XEO, XEU, XEZ, XSK

Thanks to tyxerakias for this thread :)

Last edited:

kyrillos13

Sep 26, 2010
Athens
Flash Custom Kernel - Install CWM/TWRP Recovery - Reset Flash Counter

Flash Custom Kernel - Install CWM/TWRP Recovery

If you want to flash a custom kernel so you have CWM/TWRP recovery and then flash a rom, here is a simple, mini guide how to do it (after flashing the pre-rooted rom from the 2nd post, without increasing the flash counter.

1. Download a custom kernel from here (eX Kernel) or here (Antsm's kernel). If you want a stock kernel with CWM and init.d support only go for the 2nd one.
  2. If it is a .tar file, extract it, if it has .tar.md5 extension, remove the .md5 first and then extract it until you get "kernel.bin.md5" or "kernel.bin" file.
  3. Copy the "kernel.bin.md5" file loose to your internal sdcard (phone's internal memory).
  4. Open Google Play and download Android Terminal Emulator.
  5. Open it and type:
  6. Code:
    su (grant Superuser permissions)
    dd if=/sdcard/[B]kernel.bin[/B].md5 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p15
    reboot
    Note: hit enter after each line
  7. Done!

Reset Flash Counter - Bring back your Warranty

If for any reason you have flashed/rooted the phone with odin and you have a flash counter > 0, antsm did find a solution for you.

Just for the info:
  • To manually reset "CUSTOM FLASH COUNTER", open the Terminal and type:
    Code:
    su
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0 bs=1 count=1 seek=3145732

Warning: The manually way is not recommended! If you do a typo, you can brick your phone!! Only for experienced users.

Head over to the original thread to download and install i8160_reset_ANT.zip file from the CWM/TWRP Recovery to reset the custom flash counter and current binary automatically.

For JB, download Triangle Away!

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2010
I'm buying this phone for my sister later today and I'm almost certain it will come with network bloat. I love that 5 seconds searching on XDA brings up a simple clear thread like this and I know that as soon as I get home I can flash a 'clean' stock ROM.

Thank you.

Reactions: kyrillos13

btb55

Jan 18, 2013
XXLL2 Pre-rooted upload complete!!

Thanks for such clear instructions to flash without updating the count. Couple of questions, my SGA2 has firmware I8160XXLK7, is this one of yours compatible and is LL2 just newer than LK7 or do the numbers mean something else?

Also when I do *#1234# I do have 'CSC' so should I first flash PDA then CSC and do I select the same file for both? The version of Odin I downloaded doesn't allow to select CSC, is there another way to do it?

And why do we not flash 'PHONE' ?

Thank you!

Last edited:

kyrillos13

Sep 26, 2010
Athens
Thanks for such clear instructions to flash without updating the count. Couple of questions, my SGA2 has firmware I8160XXLK7, is this one of yours compatible and is LL2 just newer than LK7 or do the numbers mean something else?

Also when I do *#1234# I do have 'CSC' so should I first flash PDA then CSC and do I select the same file for both? The version of Odin I downloaded doesn't allow to select CSC, is there another way to do it?

And why do we not flash 'PHONE' ?

Thank you!

Yeah you can flash this. Its newer version than LK7 (L>K).
This packet is all in one. Phone, PDA, CSC. Its in one package (PDA). If you flash it, csc & phone will be automatically be flashed too.

Last edited:
Reactions: btb55

chimaeragh

Mar 30, 2012
Takoradi
Re: [GUIDE] All About Flashing Galaxy Ace 2 GT-I8160 (+Official ROOTED Firmwares)

My CSC is BTU. Can i flash this rom on my phone ?

Sent from my GT-I8160 using xda app-developers app

KuChar_

Jan 5, 2013
Toruń
For what u need csc?

Of course you can flash this firmware on your phone..

Rememeber that firmware is dedicated to europe :)

veaceslav

Jan 1, 2013
Hello,

Today I flashed the rooted rom, everything went ok, except SuperSU is crashing when I try to open it. What can I do?

Last edited:

kyrillos13

Sep 26, 2010
Athens
Hello,

Today I flashed the rooted rom, everyhting went ok, sxcept SuperSU is crashing when I try to open it. What can I do?

Hmm. Try to update it from the play store.

My CSC is BTU. Can i flash this rom on my phone ?

Sent from my GT-I8160 using xda app-developers app

Yeah but you will drop kies firmware update support :p

For what u need csc?

Of course you can flash this firmware on your phone..

Rememeber that firmware is dedicated to europe :)

You need it to be able to update your phone's firmware through odin/ota

Reactions: chimaeragh
Apr 22, 2011
Rzeszów
Fast question here cus i'm new with samsung stuff... i have to install official "I8160XXLL2_I8160OXXLL2_NEE.zip"(from sasmung site) and after that i can install I8160XXLL2 rooted one from second post and i dont need a custom kernel, right?

atm i have XXLK6

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to flash a new firmware to your phone with ODIN

8415795940_cd19730c4a_b.jpg

8414751263_cbf568ed60_b.jpg

Latest available Gingerbread Europe firmware: I8160XXLL2 (26 December 2012) [Android 2.3.6]

Latest available Jelly Bean Europe firmware: I8160XXMG2 (5 July 2013) [Android 4.1.2]

Instructions (Gingerbread)

2. Go to: http://www.sammobile.com/firmware/, type "I8160" in the search and download the firmware you want. Alternatively you can make/download a pre-rooted firmware from the second post if you want.
    3. Extract the firmware and you will get something like I8160XXLL2_I8160OXXLL2_HOME.tar.md5
    6. Tick 'PDA' click it to select the I8160*****_I8160******_HOME.tar.md5 file you extracted in step 3.
    7. Take a deep breath. Press 'Start'. The flashing process will take about 6 minutes.
    8. When you see a green box with 'PASS' at the top-left corner, then you can disconnect the phone's cable. (2nd image)
    9. Enjoy.

Instructions (Jelly Bean)

2. Go here to download XXMB2 JB leak (outdated) or here to download XXMB4 JB leak (outdated). You can find ME7/MF1 on Ace 2 General Forum.
    3. Extract the firmware and you will see a few files. CODE_I8160XXMF1.tar, CSC_OXA_I8160OXAMF1.tar and GT-I8160_EUR_XX_4G.pit will be used in ODIN.
    6. (Skip this step if you are already on JB) If you are on a GB firmware, click 'PIT' and select GT-I8160_EUR_XX_4G.pit. Re-partition box should be checked in options. Warning!!! Don't tick repartition if you are already on MB2/MB4/MC8 and you want to go to a newer firmware!
    7. Click 'PDA' and select CODE_I8160XXMF1.tar & 'CSC' and select CSC_OXA_I8160OXAMF1.tar.
    8. Take a deep breath. Press 'Start'. The flashing process will take about 8 minutes.
    9. When you see a green box with 'PASS' at the top-left corner, then you can disconnect the phone's cable. (2nd image)
    10. Enjoy.

Notes:

Odin: Its the latest available version, slightly modified by me, so all other options & file download options except 'PDA' are deactivated for safety.
    Firmware: Always update to the latest available so you have the more recent bugfixes, stability fixes and new features.
    Upgrading with Odin, won't wipe your data & won't increase the flash counter.
    I take no resposibility if your phone explodes or sth ;)
    Official ROOTED firmwares for the SGA2 (Multi-CSC)

PRE-ROOTED STOCK FIRMWARES

The following firmwares are completely stock, original firmwares, with only the addition of the 2 needed files, su binary and Superuser.apk.
    (Explanation: The first one (su) is the 'root' itself, while the second is the app that allows or denies superuser permissions to other processes).

This does not have CWM recovery, or any modifications. You can add those later yourself, if you wish. This is just the Samsung rom, rooted. Nothing more.

If you have OXX csc in your firmware (most of central-eastern Europe does; you can check by typing *#1234# and looking at the CSC - I8160OXXxxx), feel free to flash it on top with Odin, it will not wipe your data.

You don't have to install stock firmware first and then this. You should install this directly. Its stock firmware + SuperSU :)

8430403993_76c18d6beb_b.jpg

This does NOT trigger the flash counter!

- Unroot
    If for some reason you don't want to be root anymore, (e.g. returning your phone for service or selling it), just go into the SuperSU app, go to settings, and press Full Unroot. That's it, no more root.
    (Goes without saying: you should first remove any mods you did while rooted).

- Download

I8160XXLL2 (Android 2.3.6, OXX multi-csc, PDA: I8160XXLL2, CSC: I8160OXXLL2, SuperSU 1.0.2 included)

Password: kyrillos13
    Note: Individual csc contained in these OXX multicsc:
    AMN, ATL, BGL, CMF, COA, COS, CRO, CYO, DCM, DNF, ERO, EUR, GBL, ITV, KOR, MBM, MKO, MSR, MTL, NEE, OMN, ORS, PHE, ROM, SEB, SIM, SMO, TCL, TEB, TMS, TMT, TOP, TPH, TRA, TRG, TSR, TWO, VDC, VDF, VDH, VIM, VOM, VVT, WIN, XEE, XEF, XEH, XEO, XEU, XEZ, XSK

Thanks to tyxerakias for this thread :)
    Flash Custom Kernel - Install CWM/TWRP Recovery - Reset Flash Counter

Flash Custom Kernel - Install CWM/TWRP Recovery

If you want to flash a custom kernel so you have CWM/TWRP recovery and then flash a rom, here is a simple, mini guide how to do it (after flashing the pre-rooted rom from the 2nd post, without increasing the flash counter.

1. Download a custom kernel from here (eX Kernel) or here (Antsm's kernel). If you want a stock kernel with CWM and init.d support only go for the 2nd one.
    2. If it is a .tar file, extract it, if it has .tar.md5 extension, remove the .md5 first and then extract it until you get "kernel.bin.md5" or "kernel.bin" file.
    3. Copy the "kernel.bin.md5" file loose to your internal sdcard (phone's internal memory).
    4. Open Google Play and download Android Terminal Emulator.
    5. Open it and type:
    6. Code:
      su (grant Superuser permissions)
      dd if=/sdcard/[B]kernel.bin[/B].md5 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p15
      reboot
      Note: hit enter after each line
    7. Done!

Reset Flash Counter - Bring back your Warranty

If for any reason you have flashed/rooted the phone with odin and you have a flash counter > 0, antsm did find a solution for you.

Just for the info:
    • To manually reset "CUSTOM FLASH COUNTER", open the Terminal and type:
      Code:
      su
      dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/mmcblk0 bs=1 count=1 seek=3145732

Warning: The manually way is not recommended! If you do a typo, you can brick your phone!! Only for experienced users.

Head over to the original thread to download and install i8160_reset_ANT.zip file from the CWM/TWRP Recovery to reset the custom flash counter and current binary automatically.

For JB, download Triangle Away!
    XXLL2 Pre-rooted upload complete!!
    I downloaded the leaked jb firmware and installed it successfully on my ace 2.
    But it is very unstable.
    I want to go back to gingerbread
    I downloaded the gingerbread firmware from sammobile and flashed it but i was stuck at the screen saying "Samsung galaxy ACE 2 i8160"
    plz help me if u can i would be very grateful and hit thanks button on all ur posts cuz they are really helpful.
    Also my phone is unlocked and I'm from the middle east
    i downloaded from sammobile the firmware for spain because many other firmwares have similar pda and csc
    is it the right one? if it isn't plz give me a link to the one for unlocked phones
    Thanks in advance :)

Use this TUTORIAL.

Press the THANKS button, please :)