[Q] 4.4.3 update made phone unuseable

Search This thread

kaleem11

Mar 21, 2013
Southampton
Hi. i have Nexus 5 sim free version. it was on 4.4 later upgraded to 4.4.1 followed by 4.4.2. till 4.4.2, it was great. a day before yesterday i received 4.4.3 OTA update and installed it. after installation,
1- phone started to hang a lot.
2- unless i push power button and re press it, phone remains hanged.
3- i tried flashing 4.4.2 but it stucks at boot loader screen as well and certainly i can't use power button to un freeze it.
4- phone starts well sometimes but there is no display but only colorful dots instead of screen, if i press and re press power button, start screen comes back.
plz help me to find a way so i can flash back some earlier android version.
thanks

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
Hi. i have Nexus 5 sim free version. it was on 4.4 later upgraded to 4.4.1 followed by 4.4.2. till 4.4.2, it was great. a day before yesterday i received 4.4.3 OTA update and installed it. after installation,
1- phone started to hang a lot.
2- unless i push power button and re press it, phone remains hanged.
3- i tried flashing 4.4.2 but it stucks at boot loader screen as well and certainly i can't use power button to un freeze it.
4- phone starts well sometimes but there is no display but only colorful dots instead of screen, if i press and re press power button, start screen comes back.
plz help me to find a way so i can flash back some earlier android version.
thanks

flash the factory img http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/general/tutorial-how-to-flash-factory-image-t2513701

and what do you mean sim free nexus 5? all nexus 5 have a sim card slot.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Flash the 4.4.3 factory image and give it another try. If it still has problems just flash an earlier factory image. And if it still doesn't work you have a hardware issue

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

kaleem11

Mar 21, 2013
Southampton
Flash the 4.4.3 factory image and give it another try. If it still has problems just flash an earlier factory image. And if it still doesn't work you have a hardware issue

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

i have tried to flash 4.4.2 factory image but phone freezes even at bootloader after 4-5 seconds. how can i flash image then?

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
have you tried unlocking the bootloader? maybe try to unlock it then flash the factory img. or you can try unlocking it, flash a custom recovery, superuser, and a rooted stock rom(maybe this will work for you?)

kaleem11

Mar 21, 2013
Southampton
What do you mean? Does it successfully flash but just never boot?

Did you Flash all the factory images? Or just system and boot?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

no. i said that i had tried to flash. after turning the phone off, i restarted in bootloader mode. but phone froze in bootloader mode too, so i was unable to flash. bootloader is unlocked BTW.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
no. i said that i had tried to flash. after turning the phone off, i restarted in bootloader mode. but phone froze in bootloader mode too, so i was unable to flash. bootloader is unlocked BTW.

OK but you Flash the images whilst in the bootloader mode. What does a frozen bootloader look like? What was the output error message when you used fastboot to flash the factory image?

kaleem11

Mar 21, 2013
Southampton
i have unlocked bootloader after couple of tries because phone kept on freezing even in bootloader mode. but as soon as i put phone in bootloader mode, it freezes. everything was fine before 4.4.3 OTA update. phone shouldn't freeze in bootloader mode. i think that 4.4.3 update has also corrupted recovery.

kaleem11

Mar 21, 2013
Southampton
OK but you Flash the images whilst in the bootloader mode. What does a frozen bootloader look like? What was the output error message when you used fastboot to flash the factory image?

it looks like that nothing is working, neither touch nor physical buttons. i can't change options with volume button. i.e. start, recovery, etc etc. u know what i mean. once in bootloader, one can change the options via volume buttons but i can't. on pressing the power button, phone restarts.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
it looks like that nothing is working, neither touch nor physical buttons. i can't change options with volume button. i.e. start, recovery, etc etc. u know what i mean. once in bootloader, one can change the options via volume buttons but i can't. on pressing the power button, phone restarts.

Boot to bootloader. Connect USB. Fastboot flash full factory images. If there is an error. Tell us what it is. If you cannot flash the full factory image, you'll need to send it for repair

kaleem11

Mar 21, 2013
Southampton

even if i use toolkit, phone freezes showing no process of flashing image at the end where it says that phone is unlocked.

kaleem11

Mar 21, 2013
Southampton
Boot to bootloader. Connect USB. Fastboot flash full factory images. If there is an error. Tell us what it is. If you cannot flash the full factory image, you'll need to send it for repair

yup. i think i have to send it for repair. as u have told me to boot into bootloader, i have tried it. after booting to bootloader, i m unable to change options. its like phone stops working after 3-4 seconds.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
yup. i think i have to send it for repair. as u have told me to boot into bootloader, i have tried it. after booting to bootloader, i m unable to change options. its like phone stops working after 3-4 seconds.

Try and boot into your "backup" bootloader. You can get into this by holding Volume Down AND Volume Up AND Power. You'll notice it is different bootloader because the bootloader version is different from the one you get if you just hold volume down and power.

Maybe that will work?