[UPDATED 28-04-2009] TorchButton v1.5, using camera LED for flashlight

Search This thread

da_jojo

Nov 19, 2006
Utrecht
houseofyu.nl
great idea using the g-sensor but what if you want the flashlight to be stationary ? it would mean one should shake the device at least every 10 seconds.

most of the use i make of the flashlight is to put the device on a object somewhere and let it light the area under it. so it would be nice if the flashlight can be turned on and stays this way for at least 5 minutes or so.
i tested with the htc wizard and it didnt do any harm to it burning for 10 minutes or longer. its just freaking irritating to have to turn it on all the time.
the led wont die of it. actually when you see the bright flash when you take a picture that is the only 2 seconds that it will burn at maximum capacity. the only thing which is hurt by this is the battery running low quicker then normal. also this is not an issue as the phone can draw a lot more energy from the battery then is used most of the time.

sysrq12

Aug 15, 2008
W-w
g-sensor
oh, that is really great idea ineed. Although I've got a lot of windows desktop coding to do (work) I'll try to do this after midnights ;)

well it could be like that:
1) as soon as there is no movement detected timer starts counting. and disables led after given time. any g-sensor activity resets timer.
2) no timeout for users who would like to take their chances ;)

Last edited:

da_jojo

Nov 19, 2006
Utrecht
houseofyu.nl
g-sensor
oh, that is really great idea ineed. Although I've got a lot of windows desktop coding to do (work) I'll try to do this after midnights ;)

well it could be like that:
1) as soon as there is no movement detected timer starts counting. and disables led after given time. any g-sensor activity resets timer.
2) no timeout for users who would like to take their chances ;)

count me in on 2 LOL ;)

on second thought it might be handy to turn it off while g-sensor indicates that the device is flat on the table :)

NetRipper

Feb 27, 2006
's-Gravendeel
www.netripper.nl
I have just updated the first post with a new version of TorchButton. It allows the default timeout to be changed by modifying the HKLM\Software\TorchButton\FlashlightTimeout value (which is in seconds).

Thanks for everyone suggesting features. The G-Sensor idea is also very nice, but I just want to keep the software plain and simple. It sounds like "sysrq12" may be implementing the feature in his software.

@sysrq12, perhaps you should create a new thread if you have a new release of your software, just to keep it seperated and to prevent people from getting confused about which cabs to use.

Hope this satisfies everyone! :)

da_jojo

Nov 19, 2006
Utrecht
houseofyu.nl
I have just updated the first post with a new version of TorchButton. It allows the default timeout to be changed by modifying the HKLM\Software\TorchButton\FlashlightTimeout value (which is in seconds).

Thanks for everyone suggesting features. The G-Sensor idea is also very nice, but I just want to keep the software plain and simple. It sounds like "sysrq12" may be implementing the feature in his software.

@sysrq12, perhaps you should create a new thread if you have a new release of your software, just to keep it seperated and to prevent people from getting confused about which cabs to use.

Hope this satisfies everyone! :)

got me just as excited as the moment i got this phone brought to my door...
this tell you enough ? :)

Hey guys.I've got an idea:
You are able to control the LED so now are you able to add some mode selector(combobox,radiobutton) and use these modes?:
- Torch - toggles light on/off for a adjusted time as now it is
- Flashing light for walking on dark road,so the car driver can see us - pulses 1:10rate 10Hz(as on bicycle)
- Push to light - one can send morse code for example,lights momentary
- SOS signalization(I hope we will have never need to use,but one never knows)
Also the interface can stay quite similar(the big thumb button I like) and can be black as default and there's no need to change interface colors automatically(change it using right softkey),because the application will be used mostly in the dark.

Last edited:

miland

Aug 7, 2007
Brno
G-sensor

turn the device upside down - change something -
shake the device - flash off/on

side (volume) arrows/rounding with finger on the touch sensor (like if you want to make page bigger in the Opera) - change intensity, or changing the timeout
big button on the screen - on/off
small slider - timeout

integrate this function to the menu which is open after you long press right key - that would be great

Last edited:

NetRipper

Feb 27, 2006
's-Gravendeel
www.netripper.nl
I see some nice possibilities indeed, both with alternative use of the flashlight and using the g-sensor and also the touch sensor. I will keep TorchButton pretty simple. I probably won't change it anymore. However I do like some of the suggested features I hear around here. For now I don't have to skill to do it in c++ (would become a .net app) and for that I'm currently busy with some other prototypes.

Perhaps in the future, if no other developers have made it yet, I'll attempt to make a flashlight app with a lot more features.

shake the device - flash off/on
Regarding this, I was actually planning on making a program that allows you to launch applications by using the g-sensor. This way you can start user-defined programs by:
- shaking device left & right
- shaking device up & down
- turning device over once or twice
- the above optionally in or out of standby (to prevent it from firing when you simply walk with the phone in your trousers)

It's still in "idea" phase. Still got lots of other things to play with first.

billu

Dec 10, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
yesterday I wrote for myself something just like yours. but i prefered fullscreen button which would change color to black while LED switches on (useful in dark places - eyes are not blinded by bright screen).

it is possible to change timeout (setting written in registry) using track bar or up-down, left-right keys.

enter key switches LED on and off. just like big on screeen button.

have fun.

I have tried it on my touch pro but when I run the program, it says i need a later version of the net compact framework. Should that be the case?

NLS

May 27, 2005
Piraeus
www.ilogic.gr
Any chance v1.2 will be a simple "on/off" on screen button?

In fact even simpler: Turn light on when program executes (like if you assign it to a physical button) and just have a large "QUIT" button when the user wants to turn it off.

I think it is even simpler than even the current version.

A simple VB form (make it black so to not obstruct night vision) and a dark gray button.

No registry edits or anything (who knows exactly how much time will need the light? Or who wants to go and re-execute if the light goes off at the critical second?).

Any hope for this?

fhsieh

Aug 15, 2008
One thing I did with my Sony Ericsson W43S (Japanese phone) was remap one of the buttons to turn on the LED flash on long-press. Or more directly: long-press the button and the LED flash turns on, and stays on while you hold the button; release the button and the LED turns off.

Quite useful, late at night for instance, since it's very easy to locate hardware buttons by feel alone, and it saves you from blinding yourself with the LCD backlight (which you would have to do to find and load an app).

Of course that probably steps a little beyond this project, since I could use a config tool to remap buttons to load/reload the TouchButton app. Though if I had the AT&T Fuze with its PTT button, I would remap that button to do just that.