Surface Pro 3

Search This thread

Trig0r

Jun 19, 2007
Anyone pre-ordered yet?

Got myself a stonking deal

i7, 8Gb, 256Gb, Type 3 cover, spare PSU, £650....

Trig0r

Jun 19, 2007
Signed a 10k deal at work, I asked for a free one but they said no, so I asked for a cheap one, hour later they came back with that offer, basically half price Pro 3 with free Type cover and spare PSU...
i7/8Gb/256Gb, should do the job :D

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Well, aren't you lucky! Sadly, 10k is a couple orders of magnitude more people than my company employs, so I doubt I can convince the boss to let me sign for that many ;)

jester350

Oct 17, 2009
I have the i5 256Gb model. I love it as it's exactly what I was after, large screen running windows so I could easily run lightroom and photoshop. I've had ipads for years and it takes a bit of getting used to. The screen is a little large for general tablet use and of course its a full on PC so can get v.hot and the fan can get full on loud at times. I also gets a lot more respect and thought when getting thrown in a bag, and there are places I would use the ipad without thinking where I would be more worried about the surface getting damaged. I has almost won w8 over for me as well though it's still far from perfect

xwere

Dec 26, 2010
Please share the recovery image. Mine is bricked from day 1. PM me if you can help

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

samykabu

Jul 24, 2014
I Deleted my Recovery Image Can you Help Plz

I have the i5 256Gb model. I love it as it's exactly what I was after, large screen running windows so I could easily run lightroom and photoshop. I've had ipads for years and it takes a bit of getting used to. The screen is a little large for general tablet use and of course its a full on PC so can get v.hot and the fan can get full on loud at times. I also gets a lot more respect and thought when getting thrown in a bag, and there are places I would use the ipad without thinking where I would be more worried about the surface getting damaged. I has almost won w8 over for me as well though it's still far from perfect

Could you Please share the recovery image

Trig0r

Jun 19, 2007
I've got the Pro 3 EU image added to my FTP along with the recoveries for the RT, Surface 2, Pro, and Pro 2...

nys299

Sep 20, 2013

It is terrific....you definitely should get it. I have been using it for a while now and it is just fantastic.

The tablet is so light (for a full core i7 PC, 800 grams for tablet alone) and typing on the type cover is terrific as the keys are quite broad. The 3:2 form factor actually makes the tablet very usable compared to the longish 16:9 in many laptop and tablets. Kudos for Microsoft for daring to be different. The ability to do work in a Portrait orientation makes me so ultra productive as I can see my entire page all at once (very important to me). There are so many pluses in Portrait orientation, I can read an entire webpage at one go without having to zoom in. However, there is a caveat. When in portrait orientation, you have to unplug the type cover and essentially the type cover is useless when it is not plugged into the SP3. So you have to get an external (preferably bluetooth) keyboard for that. It sucks that it has only 1 USB port and despite what I have read online, the battery life was so-so for me....around 5 hours plus. Maybe its because I am using the core i7/512GB version. I would have gladly accepted another 100g of weight on the product in exchange for slightly longer battery life.

I think the sweet spot for this product in terms of price/performance/battery-life is really the core i5/256GB version. Occasionally it does get pretty hot at the back.....I am not sure if it is because of the core i7. Also, I used to own a Lenovo Yoga 2 pro...and although I like that laptop, however, 2 negatives for me...the yellow colors are more like mustard and there is no way to overcome it and Lenovo is pretty much ignoring the issue....and the standard SD card slot has 80% of the SD card sticking out of the slot. The screen and colors on the SP3 are very accurate and the 2K (2156x1440) resolution is sharp and bright. And Microsoft hid a micro-SD card slot behind the tablet hidden by the kick-stand and its terrific. However, the micro-SD card tends to go to sleep very often and the only way to wake it is to pull it out of the slot and push it back in. I have found no way to get the micro-SD card to stop going to sleep. The accuracy of the PEN when taking notes is very very good compared to many tablets that I have tried before and its smart integration to One Note (free) and One Note 2013 (free also I think) is fantastic.

Last edited:
Reactions: kekos321

Scann69

So I've been using the SP3 for about a month and recently took it for travelling. At the hotel, i connected the SP3 to my Jambox speakers and it was great except that the music would turn off when the screen turns off. The only way to keep the music playing is to extend the sleep time on the SP3 which also means the screen is kept on. Not the most ideal case compared to using a notebook.

Is there a work around for this? Or maybe a setting i may have missed.

stricker49

Sep 30, 2014
Sleep bug-----Hibernate Alternative

i had the surface 2 pro for 1 year and absolutely loved it, but i kept running into an issue that when it was in its sleep mode it somehow would wake itself up in its case and stay on running. Later for me to find a superheated surface with significant battery drain. The only fix i could find is to make it hybernate, it uses 8 gigs of harddrive space for the ram, but thats the only drawback, it starts about the same speed. So i recently bought the pro 3 for the sole purpose of the larger screen, that was my only complaint from my pro2. i then found out that the surface 3 seems to have the same issue as i had with the pro 2. But the pro 3 didnt have hibernation available when i searched for its, i asked the staff at my closest microsoft store and they said it looks like they phased it out. But after a ton of searching and digging i found a way to enable hibernate.
i tried enabling by cmd line like normal " powercfg -h on" didnt give me an error but nothing showed up.

Remember that you need enough hard drive space as hibernate takes your ram and dumps it to your harddrive. space used on hard drive=ram size
This replaces your sleep option with hibernate

1) hit start
2) search add or remove programs or Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features
3) left side will have "Turn Windows features on or off"
4) select the main Hyper-V
5) hit ok
6) wait for it to find and install files
7) restart computer
9) should now show up under power button options

should you want to remove the hibernate and restore sleep option, simply go back in and uncheck the Hyper-V-you need to set your power button preferences again back to sleep

any help please leave a thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: kekos321

stricker49

Sep 30, 2014
So I've been using the SP3 for about a month and recently took it for travelling. At the hotel, i connected the SP3 to my Jambox speakers and it was great except that the music would turn off when the screen turns off. The only way to keep the music playing is to extend the sleep time on the SP3 which also means the screen is kept on. Not the most ideal case compared to using a notebook.

Is there a work around for this? Or maybe a setting i may have missed.

sounds like its just going to sleep, if that's the case
extend the sleep time like you did but adjust the screen turn off to be shorter

1) Control Panel
2)All Control Panel Items
3)Power Options
4)Edit Plan Settings

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Turning Hyper-V on or off as a way to control sleep-vs-hibernate is kind of silly; if you want to enable hibernate (and it's not already enabled) you can do that with a single line (in an Admin command prompt): "powercfg -H ON"
The behavior of the computer with regard to when it enters sleep and/or hibernate is controlled from the Power Options -> Edit Plan Settings, as you already gave steps to reach (though it's faster to just right-click the system tray battery icon and select "Power Options" than to go through the Control Panel).

Scann69

sounds like its just going to sleep, if that's the case
extend the sleep time like you did but adjust the screen turn off to be shorter

1) Control Panel
2)All Control Panel Items
3)Power Options
4)Edit Plan Settings

Thanks for the reply. That's what i've been doing with all my other notebooks and computer but on the SP3, when i change the "Turn off display after" settings, it changes the sleep timing to match it.

Hence i'm guessing i'm missing a hidden step. Attached pix for better understanding.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 209

stricker49

Sep 30, 2014
Thanks for the reply. That's what i've been doing with all my other notebooks and computer but on the SP3, when i change the "Turn off display after" settings, it changes the sleep timing to match it.

Hence i'm guessing i'm missing a hidden step. Attached pix for better understanding.

turns out i disabled sleep mode and replaced it with hibernate, it gives me turn display of after __ min not the sleep like yours
the sleep issue i keep running into is it wakes itself up in the case and stays on. ill try to revert back and look into it

---------- Post added at 02:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 AM ----------

Turning Hyper-V on or off as a way to control sleep-vs-hibernate is kind of silly; if you want to enable hibernate (and it's not already enabled) you can do that with a single line (in an Admin command prompt): "powercfg -H ON"
The behavior of the computer with regard to when it enters sleep and/or hibernate is controlled from the Power Options -> Edit Plan Settings, as you already gave steps to reach (though it's faster to just right-click the system tray battery icon and select "Power Options" than to go through the Control Panel).

did you even read the full post?
if you read my post i ran that command to begin with since it was the simplest solution, but it doesnt work.

Scann69

turns out i disabled sleep mode and replaced it with hibernate, it gives me turn display of after __ min not the sleep like yours
the sleep issue i keep running into is it wakes itself up in the case and stays on. ill try to revert back and look into it

---------- Post added at 02:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 AM ----------

Thanks but i'll rather let it sleep cos waking up is much faster compared to hibernate IMO. Mine does not wake itself so i have no issues there. Just can't get the screen to turn off without letting the device sleep.

lethal_x

Oct 8, 2007
Hi trig0r,

I just got my self a Surface Pro 3 with 256gb i5 8GB and manage to install fresh windows 10 on it but I Can't get it to proper activate i will rather have it recover to default using the recovery image and then upgrade to windows 10..

Please help me with the recovery Image for SP3 pro US.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It is terrific....you definitely should get it. I have been using it for a while now and it is just fantastic.

The tablet is so light (for a full core i7 PC, 800 grams for tablet alone) and typing on the type cover is terrific as the keys are quite broad. The 3:2 form factor actually makes the tablet very usable compared to the longish 16:9 in many laptop and tablets. Kudos for Microsoft for daring to be different. The ability to do work in a Portrait orientation makes me so ultra productive as I can see my entire page all at once (very important to me). There are so many pluses in Portrait orientation, I can read an entire webpage at one go without having to zoom in. However, there is a caveat. When in portrait orientation, you have to unplug the type cover and essentially the type cover is useless when it is not plugged into the SP3. So you have to get an external (preferably bluetooth) keyboard for that. It sucks that it has only 1 USB port and despite what I have read online, the battery life was so-so for me....around 5 hours plus. Maybe its because I am using the core i7/512GB version. I would have gladly accepted another 100g of weight on the product in exchange for slightly longer battery life.

I think the sweet spot for this product in terms of price/performance/battery-life is really the core i5/256GB version. Occasionally it does get pretty hot at the back.....I am not sure if it is because of the core i7. Also, I used to own a Lenovo Yoga 2 pro...and although I like that laptop, however, 2 negatives for me...the yellow colors are more like mustard and there is no way to overcome it and Lenovo is pretty much ignoring the issue....and the standard SD card slot has 80% of the SD card sticking out of the slot. The screen and colors on the SP3 are very accurate and the 2K (2156x1440) resolution is sharp and bright. And Microsoft hid a micro-SD card slot behind the tablet hidden by the kick-stand and its terrific. However, the micro-SD card tends to go to sleep very often and the only way to wake it is to pull it out of the slot and push it back in. I have found no way to get the micro-SD card to stop going to sleep. The accuracy of the PEN when taking notes is very very good compared to many tablets that I have tried before and its smart integration to One Note (free) and One Note 2013 (free also I think) is fantastic.
    Sleep bug-----Hibernate Alternative

i had the surface 2 pro for 1 year and absolutely loved it, but i kept running into an issue that when it was in its sleep mode it somehow would wake itself up in its case and stay on running. Later for me to find a superheated surface with significant battery drain. The only fix i could find is to make it hybernate, it uses 8 gigs of harddrive space for the ram, but thats the only drawback, it starts about the same speed. So i recently bought the pro 3 for the sole purpose of the larger screen, that was my only complaint from my pro2. i then found out that the surface 3 seems to have the same issue as i had with the pro 2. But the pro 3 didnt have hibernation available when i searched for its, i asked the staff at my closest microsoft store and they said it looks like they phased it out. But after a ton of searching and digging i found a way to enable hibernate.
    i tried enabling by cmd line like normal " powercfg -h on" didnt give me an error but nothing showed up.

Remember that you need enough hard drive space as hibernate takes your ram and dumps it to your harddrive. space used on hard drive=ram size
    This replaces your sleep option with hibernate

1) hit start
    2) search add or remove programs or Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features
    3) left side will have "Turn Windows features on or off"
    4) select the main Hyper-V
    5) hit ok
    6) wait for it to find and install files
    7) restart computer
    9) should now show up under power button options

should you want to remove the hibernate and restore sleep option, simply go back in and uncheck the Hyper-V-you need to set your power button preferences again back to sleep

any help please leave a thanks