What's the deal with cases from China?

Search This thread

felloffthetruck

May 12, 2014
I love the design of the Spigen Neo Hybrid. But they list it as being $30, which seems crazy for a case. So I'm googling for better prices, and find the "same product" on AliExpress...

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Gala...y-S5-i9600-G900S-i9500X-Cover/1721050549.html

...where it's $3. That's too good to be true, right? What's the catch? Is this a knockoff?

I believe that all cases are made in China these days. The difference is if they came out the front or back door.

I avoid fakes myself.

myKale

Jun 3, 2014
Ive never bought anything from Ali before, but it is likely a knock off. I have the Neo Hybrid that I bought from Amazon and I personally love it. When I tried using mine naked, man, the oem cover is just too slippery for my liking. I have extra money on my paypal, so I might try this purchase and see what is the difference. Big red flag from the reviews though, they are mostly one word responses such as "good" and "excellent."

Bageebies

Oct 18, 2012
www.pacczone.co.nz
Its pretty much guaranteed that all brand products on Aliexpress are counterfeits. Except for Chinese brands. Most Spigen products are made in Korea. If it was true that they came out the back door, it would most likely be for not passing quality control. Although I don't have two cases to compare, the usual differences are, not as good a fit, components not machined as well, lower grade materials.

lurch0101

Apr 10, 2012
I love the design of the Spigen Neo Hybrid. But they list it as being $30, which seems crazy for a case. So I'm googling for better prices, and find the "same product" on AliExpress...

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Gala...y-S5-i9600-G900S-i9500X-Cover/1721050549.html

...where it's $3. That's too good to be true, right? What's the catch? Is this a knockoff?

That one is cheap because it's not made in the official Spigen factory. Spigen also doesn't allow (usually gets taken down quick) others to sell their brand.

blessedswine

Mar 26, 2010

i bought the spigen hybrid on amazon for 18$ i put the savings towards a qi card for wireless charging.

i bought one from aliexpress now too ill take photos of both and compare any differences i see between the two when i recieve the aliexpress one, which could be up to a month depending on customs and stuff.

Last edited:

Bageebies

Oct 18, 2012
www.pacczone.co.nz
That one is cheap because it's not made in the official Spigen factory. Spigen also doesn't allow (usually gets taken down quick) others to sell their brand.

There are quite a few ligit Spigen resellers/retailers for different countries. Although it may be tricky to verify the authenticity of product unless you buy it and check the included serial number. One thing for certain, a genuine Spigen case will not be significantly cheaper as in $3.

Sinchero

Apr 15, 2014
i ordered two of them and they are fakes, i attached some pictures of the two i got and the real slim armor i ordered at amazon, they get the job done for $4 but the cut out for usb port is really tight and there is no room to open the flap of the port, i had to take out the case every time i had to charge the phone, that is why i decided to buy a real one at amazon.

Attachments

• DSC07390.jpg
    DSC07390.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC07391.jpg
    DSC07391.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC07393.jpg
    DSC07393.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC07392.jpg
    DSC07392.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 119

blessedswine

Mar 26, 2010
i ordered two of them and they are fakes, i attached some pictures of the two i got and the real slim armor i ordered at amazon, they get the job done for $4 but the cut out for usb port is really tight and there is no room to open the flap of the port, i had to take out the case every time i had to charge the phone, that is why i decided to buy a real one at amazon.

they may have been a initial batch that they later discovered the port openings werent big enough and instead of tossing them they sold them for pennies on the dollar. Its just a thought but i can see from your pictures the port openings are definatly smaller

gridflash

Sep 21, 2011
Portland, OR
they may have been a initial batch that they later discovered the port openings werent big enough and instead of tossing them they sold them for pennies on the dollar. Its just a thought but i can see from your pictures the port openings are definatly smaller

Ran into that exact problem earlier in the year on a Neo Hybrid knockoff. Holes for the volume control were about 2mmm off and only the up volume would work..lol

Top Liked Posts