[Q] SGH-I747 Update Issues to 4.4.2

Search This thread
D

Deleted member 5955676

Thanks @enewman17 for NE4 bootloader modem.
But when I tried flashing it using TWRP 2.6.3.1, it failed.

This is the snippet from the run:

Updating partition details...
Running boot script...
Finished running boot script.
Installing '/external_sd/d2at_I747UCUNE4_bootloader_modem_4.4.2'
Checking for MD5 file...
Skipping MD5 check: no MD5 file found.
E: Error executing updater in zip '/external_sd/d2at_I747UCUNE4_bootloader_modem_4.4.2'
Error flashing zip '/external_sd/d2at_I747UCUNE4_bootloader_modem_4.4.2'

In a desperate measure to get it working, here are a couple of things I tried.
1. I tried flashing the stock ROM enewman17 uploaded in the thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2788357.
I tried both the Odex and Deodex version. Both of them get flashed successfully but when they boot up, I keep getting the following errors and it fails to boot up.
a) Unfortunately, LogsProvider has stopped
b) Unfortunately, the process com.android.phone has stopped
c) Unfortunately, the process com.android.acore has stopped
d) Systems UID inconsistent etc.

2. I tried flashing the 4.4.2 OTA ROM in step 6 of the thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2789917.
There were a bunch of E:unknown command [install_error] and then it says the flash was successful. However, upon rebooting, it gets stuck at the AT&T logo screen.

Any thoughts, @enewman17, @DocHoliday77, @BWolf56.
Now, I am kinda stuck with nothing working :(

Thanks

Ok, enewman17 just put this together if you want to try it. This includes the full NE4 stock firmware minus system, kernel, cache and recovery.
So flashing it will preserve your current Rom, kernel and recovery, but will otherwise fully update your base firmware/bootloaders to NE4.

This should be perfectly safe to use, but seeing as it is untested, I cannot make any guarantees that it won't make things worse. (I wouldn't post it if I thought it would, but there is always the possibility)

Flash from custom recovery such as TWRP.

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23578570567716667

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

If you want to fully update your system (rom) to stock NE4, enewman17 has a thread in the development section with stock rooms you can flash via recovery after you update your firmware posted above.

BWolf56

Mar 25, 2011
Outaouais

Running boot script...
Checking for MD5 file...
E: Error executing updater in zip '/external_sd/d2at_I747UCUNE4_bootloader_modem_4.4.2'

1. I tried flashing the stock ROM enewman17 uploaded in the thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2788357.
I tried both the Odex and Deodex version. Both of them get flashed successfully but when they boot up, I keep getting the following errors and it fails to boot up.

2. I tried flashing the 4.4.2 OTA ROM in step 6 of the thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2789917.
There were a bunch of E:unknown command [install_error] and then it says the flash was successful. However, upon rebooting, it gets stuck at the AT&T logo screen.

Thanks

Sounds like there was an error while compiling the zip enewman17 did. TWRP isn't very precise on the error, but seems like an updater-script issue. Chances are that it's something he'll have to fix to make it flashable.

D

Deleted member 5955676

Flash it again, but afterwards copy log to sd. Post that here.

As for your other problems, a factory reset will probably sort them out for you.

Sorry for being away for about a month. I was desperate to get my phone working, so found a spare phone to use. I got back to my S3 just yesterday.
Thank you @DocHoliday77 :highfive:...I cleared my internal sd before flashing the Deodex version enewman17 uploaded in the thread http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2788357 and it worked like a charm.
I was able to succesfully flash the ROM and phone is functional again now. Thanks a ton :good:.

There are minor issues with the ROM though
- Some apps like Spotify, Whatsapp cannot detect an internal or an external sd card in the phone and don't work.
- Sometimes my 4G dies even though I have full AT&T connectivity but gets resolved if I restart the phone.

I am not worried about these as my phone works now.
I will dig through the forums again to see if there has been an updated new 4.4.2 ROM in the past month that can resolve the minor issues too.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
For the sd card issues, you need to flash an insecure, permissive kernel. Also you have to edit a line in the platform.xml.

/system/etc/permissions/platform.xml

Look for

Code:
        <permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
        <group gid="sdcard_r" />
        <group gid="sdcard_rw" />
    </permission>

Change to this (add the 3rd gid)

Code:
        <group gid="sdcard_r" />
<group gid="media_rw" />
    </permission>

Im not sure about the mobile data though. What is your baseband?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 5955676

For the sd card issues, you need to flash an insecure, permissive kernel. Also you have to edit a line in the platform.xml.

/system/etc/permissions/platform.xml

Look for

Code:
        <group gid="sdcard_r" />
    </permission>

Change to this (add the 3rd gid)

Code:
        <group gid="sdcard_r" />
<group gid="media_rw" />
    </permission>

Im not sure about the mobile data though. What is your baseband?

Sorry for asking a trivial question, but where would I find the permissive kernel.
I installed the android terminal emulator and opened the platform.xml. The <group gid = "media_rw"> is already included in the file.
As far as the mobile data, my baseband version is I747UCUFNE4.

Whatsapp on a whole functions fine (I am able to send and receive texts) but the issue comes when a friend sends a picture or video or some type of media. When I click it to view it, it throws a pop up "The download was unable to complete. Please try again later."

I have tried reinstalling the app but still the same issue.

Thanks,
CJ

D

Deleted member 5955676

Sorry for asking a trivial question, but where would I find the permissive kernel.
I installed the android terminal emulator and opened the platform.xml. The <group gid = "media_rw"> is already included in the file.
As far as the mobile data, my baseband version is I747UCUFNE4.

Whatsapp on a whole functions fine (I am able to send and receive texts) but the issue comes when a friend sends a picture or video or some type of media. When I click it to view it, it throws a pop up "The download was unable to complete. Please try again later."

I have tried reinstalling the app but still the same issue.

Thanks,
CJ

I found this permissive kernel on one of enewman17's post "http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2789917&page=24"
Stock Kernel, insecure, init.d, sdcard R/W, selinux permissive
http://www.mediafire.com/?oooglrsrna0vony

quick noob question...will flashing this kernel affect the current ROM installed or the data on my phone?

Reactions: DocHoliday77

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
It wont affect your data. It might change the modules used in the rom though, so if you decided to flash a different kernel later on, you might have to reflash the rom first. I think this is only with certain custom kernels though. Not sure about the one you linked.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, enewman17 just put this together if you want to try it. This includes the full NE4 stock firmware minus system, kernel, cache and recovery.
    So flashing it will preserve your current Rom, kernel and recovery, but will otherwise fully update your base firmware/bootloaders to NE4.

This should be perfectly safe to use, but seeing as it is untested, I cannot make any guarantees that it won't make things worse. (I wouldn't post it if I thought it would, but there is always the possibility)

Flash from custom recovery such as TWRP.

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23578570567716667

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

If you want to fully update your system (rom) to stock NE4, enewman17 has a thread in the development section with stock rooms you can flash via recovery after you update your firmware posted above.

I just tried flashing it again and got the following error.
    I loaded the zip into my internal SD and went to recovery mode (twrp gui, Power+Home+Volume Up)
    and tried installing the zip

Running boot script...

Installing '/data/media/Samsung_SGH-I747_4.4.2_OTA.zip'
    Checking for MD5 file...
    Package expects build fingerprint of samsung/d2u (the screen does not allowing me to scroll to the right to look at the complete line after 'd2u')
    E: Error executing updater binary in zip '/data/media/Samsung_SGH-I747_4.4.2_OTA.zip'
    Error flashing zip '/data/media/Samsung_SGH-I747_4.4.2_OTA.zip'

FAILED

This is the error I am getting.
    Am I missing something? Please let me know if you need any more info

Thanks a ton!!!

Sounds like you'll have to use Odin to flash Stock.

Your build.prop is most likely borked (or has been changed to something it's not). d2u is not a variant of the S3, nor does it exist.
    Since you somehow have the 4.4.2 modem, you can not flash anything older than the 4.4.2 firmware. Currently there is nothing that you can flash to fix this. Normally, I would say to flash an older modem, but if Odin is seeing it as already updated to 4.4.2 (SWREV 3), and the only thing you have that is 4.4.2 is the modem, flashing anything older will likely hard brick.

You need either the full stock firmware, which there is not one, Thanks AT&T!, or a recovery flashable firmware for 4.4.2. Enewman17 has this, but it will not work for you because of how the modem is flashed. For some reason, he has it patching the 4.3 modem rather than including the full updated one like with the other partitions. If someone makes the same thing, but with the already updated modem, you could probably flash that. No guarantees though. Running 4.1.1 firmware/bootloaders with a 4.4.2 modem is a scenario which is highly unpredictable, so anything you try to flash might cause more problems, we just don't know.

I've PM'd enewman17 to ask if there was a specific reason he updated the modem the way he did. If there is not an issue doing it like i mentioned someone can try to make a new package like that for you to try.

Running boot script...
    Checking for MD5 file...

Thanks

Sounds like there was an error while compiling the zip enewman17 did. TWRP isn't very precise on the error, but seems like an updater-script issue. Chances are that it's something he'll have to fix to make it flashable.
    Flash it again, but afterwards copy log to sd. Post that here.

As for your other problems, a factory reset will probably sort them out for you.