SLCD2 vs Super Amoled HD

Search This thread

Fangar

Mar 14, 2012
Shanghai
I like SAP screen for pure black making me feel comfortable watching streams or reading books at night. But I have to give them up until sammy succeed in increasing manufacturing yield of them, and of course real SAP HD screen under 7.7 inches.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

fuzzifikation

Dec 17, 2009
this has gone far enough. Information exchange has gotten repetitive but with the added bonus of being personal in some of the later posts.

let's cut to the chase: The S3 is a great phone and Samsung is one of the major electronics players in the world.

But the current state of AMOLED is more than debatable. It might be the future in displays. But that is not something we can figure out here.

As for the current state: IPS delivers sharper pictures due to not being pentile. Thats a fact.

color reproduction is measurable. Get a measurement comparison and we have another fact.

that should at least postings settle this debate, right?

Narrow Face

May 4, 2012
HTC one X and Galaxy Note owner here and my personal opinion is that SLCD2 blows Super Amoled HD away.

Both screens are nice, but when compared side by side you realise just how cartoony and unnatural Super Amoled HD looks. The blacks are deep yes, but everything else a out the screen seems oversaturated.

SLCD2 however looks extremely sharp and beautifully natural. It reminds me a higher resolution version of the iPhone 4s display but on a bigger screen. The colours aren't eye popping, but they manage to look alot more pleasing to the eye.

All in all, I'm no expert on screens, but I can tell you that Super LCD 2 is mind blowing, and for this reason and this reason only is why I won't be getting the Galaxy S3. If the S3 used SLCD2 I'd get one no questions asked, but instead it uses the same ugly Super Amoled HD display, and for that reason I'll pass.

Once you go to SLCD2, there's no going back to Amoled.

LuffyPSP

Aug 1, 2010
I agree. This is my first time going to SLCD2. Others are AMOLED. Even my HTC Desire is AMOLED version. SLCD2 rocks, though i have always liked AMOLED, cuz people said so. :p

Azurael

Jan 3, 2008
Bath
Colour reproduction is irrelevant - it's gamut (i.e. the amount of different colours the screen can produce that matter) - it seems to me that AMOLEDs are way oversaturated by default but I'm sure this can be fixed with a calibration.

I found the text readability to be pretty poor on my Desire AMOLED, although I'm guessing the Pentile layout is far less noticeable on a higher DPI screen like the SGS3/GNex.

I do love the contrast though :(

What can't be fixed, however, is the outdoor readability - the thing is with a decent transflective LCD, the sunlight is actually helping you read the screen whereas AMOLEDs are fundamentally hopeless as they can't reflect light through the pixels.

Anyway, the OX screen is I think still the best on the market on a mobile phone at the moment for that combination of sharpness, decent colour reproduction and fantastic outdoor readability. In fact, however much AMOLEDs might benefit from infinite contrast, even the IPS LCD in the OX puts my calibrated desktop PVA monitors to shame in many regards :(

Last edited:
Reactions: josephnero

downesey

Jul 5, 2009
Calne
I went in-store at my local phone shop to see the gs3 and the amoled was just pants, it didn't look like a 720p screen, there were clear black patches between the pixels were the rgbg sub pixel setup fails hard. So happy with my one x, had to reassure myself

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

Reactions: fuzzifikation

rawfa

Jan 2, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
I thought really long and hard before getting the HOX. I´m a really huge fan of amoled and I was spoiled by the GS1 and the GS2. I´ve tried other phones and always ended up going back to Samsung because of the screen and the multimedia habilities...until now! The screen on the HOX is gorgeous! I NEVER EVER thought anything would be able to come close to the incredible quality the amoled screens provided me over the years, but believe me the HOX screen can do it. Like many say, the contrast is not the same but when you look at it it feels just right. I watch videos EVERYDAY while going to work, so screen quality is crucial on a phone for me. The HOX meest my high standards with flying colors!

maggot_ff

I think the screen on both looks good actually. Sure the, LCD2 looks sharper when viewed closely, but there's just something about the AMOLED screen on the S3 that looks great (no, not the over saturated colors), but the fact that it looks more like a plasma screen in some regards. It's softer, and "snappier", in lack of a better word.
Watching a movie on the HOX is a bit of a bummer (overstatement, lol) after trying it one the S3. The one in the S3 definitely looks better than the one in Note and the Nexus though. Also, the use of Gorilla Glass 2 seems to help making the screen brighter.
I guess this whole thing just comes down to personal preference. I would've liked the screen in the HOX a lot better i you could adjust the sharpness, and the S3's screen would've been the business if it didn't use Pentile technology.

Now, people stating that one is tremendously better than the other, I don't understand. A lot of people here come of as faboys or a bit sore that they are stuck with either one of the phones. News flash: Sell/return it and get the other.

And are we really that spoiled that a 720p Super AMOLED HD isn't sharp enough? Or that the blacks on a LCD2 isn't deep enough? Come on, now we're just nit picking. :p

chrisjcks

Sep 26, 2010
Bolton
I think the screen on both looks good actually. Sure the, LCD2 looks sharper when viewed closely, but there's just something about the AMOLED screen on the S3 that looks great (no, not the over saturated colors), but the fact that it looks more like a plasma screen in some regards. It's softer, and "snappier", in lack of a better word.
Watching a movie on the HOX is a bit of a bummer (overstatement, lol) after trying it one the S3. The one in the S3 definitely looks better than the one in Note and the Nexus though. Also, the use of Gorilla Glass 2 seems to help making the screen brighter.
I guess this whole thing just comes down to personal preference. I would've liked the screen in the HOX a lot better i you could adjust the sharpness, and the S3's screen would've been the business if it didn't use Pentile technology.

Now, people stating that one is tremendously better than the other, I don't understand. A lot of people here come of as faboys or a bit sore that they are stuck with either one of the phones. News flash: Sell/return it and get the other.

And are we really that spoiled that a 720p Super AMOLED HD isn't sharp enough? Or that the blacks on a LCD2 isn't deep enough? Come on, now we're just nit picking. :p

The HOX also has Gorilla Glass 2.

The HOX is a non pentile display with 60+% higher brightness compared to Amoled & higher ppi whilst producing better colours, the only negative is black levels in comparison to the SGS3.

So, whilst people say Amoled is more battery efficient - it offers 60+% less brightness, yet doesn't offer 60+% more battery usage, so.... Amoled doesn't seem better on the battery at all.

... Watching a movie on the HOX is a bummer? - you cannot be serious!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Arsaw

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 31, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
LCD, SLCD, SLCD2, Amoled, Samoled, Samoled HD and Samoled HD Plus, all these panels make no difference to my eyes. To me, is just a screen. Choosing a phone solely base on the screen quality does not make any sense to me also.

Sent from my Incredible S using XDA

eadred

Jan 21, 2010
I compared today my hox screen with the SIII Amoled in a local shop. The Amoled screen is about miles away from being as good as the slcd2. SLCD2 is about twice brighter than AMOLED when both on automatic brightness. The amoled whites seemed to be gray compared to scld2.
This is my subjective judgement, but Amoled is no competition to slcd2. Our Hox screen is much better. I have absolutely no remorse having picked the hox before SIII came out.

maggot_ff

I compared today my hox screen with the SIII Amoled in a local shop. The Amoled screen is about miles away from being as good as the slcd2. SLCD2 is about twice brighter than AMOLED when both on automatic brightness. The amoled whites seemed to be gray compared to scld2.
This is my subjective judgement, but Amoled is no competition to slcd2. Our Hox screen is much better. I have absolutely no remorse having picked the hox before SIII came out.

Then why do you have to keep telling yourself that? idk, i guess I'm one of a few that like both displays. But then again, I have both at my disposal.

nikorette

Oct 24, 2011
Sydney
uploadfromtaptalk1339482154760.jpg

This is a photo from the HTC One X sales book.

As you can see slcd has the upper hand

nikorette

Oct 24, 2011
Sydney
Yes lol the non removable battery killed me but do you think they modified the image

Meltus

Jan 11, 2009
Manchester
www.androidaudiohacks.com
I own both and I can report that while the lcd2 might look better under a magnifying glass they both look pretty similar when you're actually using them :)
The only difference is that the One X has a much brighter screen whilst the S3 has much better contrast and saturation. Personal preference really :p

EDIT: The One X has MUCH better viewing angles btw. If you tilt the S3 even slightly you get a yellow tinge to the screen and if you tilt it even further you get a 'rainbow' effect. Not the best.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Last edited:

okuda1971

Apr 11, 2010
Much has been said about the quality of the screens but in real world situations the hox is better... Simply because when out on a sunny day you can still see the screen clearly... Isn't that more important that little dots...!!

xchasa

Dec 29, 2010
Also. GS3 has terrible blacks at low light. Blocks and ink smudges. Check their thread if you don't believe me. I gave my galaxy to an employee to use. And many sgs3 users are saying the thing that stopped them getting HTC was non removable battery and sd, not the screen. If you can live with that then HTC is the winner. And now they want either cm9 or sense ported to get rid of touchwiz. I also have both and HTC kills samsung in all areas concerning screen for me personally. Dark. Light. Inside. Outside. Up close or far away. And on any angle.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    a woman is alive. three died.

ie: before Dracula's bite . and after.

display04.jpg
    HTC one X and Galaxy Note owner here and my personal opinion is that SLCD2 blows Super Amoled HD away.

Both screens are nice, but when compared side by side you realise just how cartoony and unnatural Super Amoled HD looks. The blacks are deep yes, but everything else a out the screen seems oversaturated.

SLCD2 however looks extremely sharp and beautifully natural. It reminds me a higher resolution version of the iPhone 4s display but on a bigger screen. The colours aren't eye popping, but they manage to look alot more pleasing to the eye.

All in all, I'm no expert on screens, but I can tell you that Super LCD 2 is mind blowing, and for this reason and this reason only is why I won't be getting the Galaxy S3. If the S3 used SLCD2 I'd get one no questions asked, but instead it uses the same ugly Super Amoled HD display, and for that reason I'll pass.

Once you go to SLCD2, there's no going back to Amoled.
    Ya. But i see no issue with blue tint. Why everybody want see the white to be so white. I always try to keep my screen darker by installing some mods to turn everything into dark theme.

Sent from my Incredible S using XDA
    Because white should be white and not blue?
    586d679b-b0c5-170f.jpg

I'm going to say One X :D

I've just noticed last few days I've got screen burn on my SGS2 which I've owned since May. Just under the notification bar a faint line going across. Very visible when viewing in the browser or watching videos.

Hoping SLCD2 isn't as prone to AMOLED in screen burn issues which is quite common.

LCD do not get screen burns