com.android.camera, "lost" SD card and picture viewer

Search This thread

Autarkis

Dec 12, 2008
Basel
Hey Folks,

Not sure if this goes into the developer part of the forum, but it's pretty deep, so I guess that's the spot.

Sometimes, when I shoot a picture, my SD card umounts, or at least the camera app says so.

Now, usually a reboot fixes things. Occasionally, I had to do fsck -a, which fixed things. Now, I don't have a USB cord handy and a strange thing occurred to me: When I try to view the shot picture via the picture viewer, I can see it perfectly but I get an error message that com.android.camera force closes. But the camera isn't launched - I killed it after the first two attempts via Process Manager for Root Users - what's up? Is the camera app needed to view pictures? That seems wrong...

Thanks for all the help I can get. :)

deprecate

Jan 3, 2009
honolulu
Hey Folks,

Not sure if this goes into the developer part of the forum, but it's pretty deep, so I guess that's the spot.

Sometimes, when I shoot a picture, my SD card umounts, or at least the camera app says so.

Now, usually a reboot fixes things. Occasionally, I had to do fsck -a, which fixed things. Now, I don't have a USB cord handy and a strange thing occurred to me: When I try to view the shot picture via the picture viewer, I can see it perfectly but I get an error message that com.android.camera force closes. But the camera isn't launched - I killed it after the first two attempts via Process Manager for Root Users - what's up? Is the camera app needed to view pictures? That seems wrong...

That is odd...

Do you have any themes or wonky mods on your phone? To answer your last question..yes, in order to view pictures, you need to have the camera app installed.

Which build are you running? Do you happen to have a vanilla Camera.apk handy to test if something strange has happened with the one present on your device?

funbacon

Nov 7, 2008
Hanoi
Hey Folks,

Bad memorystick. I got this problem and I chang to new SDcar : Sandisk 8gb class 2. Do not use Trancend.

Autarkis

Dec 12, 2008
Basel
That is odd...

Do you have any themes or wonky mods on your phone? To answer your last question..yes, in order to view pictures, you need to have the camera app installed.

ADP1. Nothing else, every app is standard, although I have used the SnapPhoto app occasionally. Hm, ok, I'm half at-ease now that I know that the camera process isnt' some kind of virus. :rolleyes:

Which build are you running? Do you happen to have a vanilla Camera.apk handy to test if something strange has happened with the one present on your device?

Camera.apk is vanilla ADP1. It's really strange. Could my SD card be broken? Although, when uploading stuff from PC, playing MP3s, nothing like this seems to happen.

Bad memorystick. I got this problem and I chang to new SDcar : Sandisk 8gb class 2. Do not use Trancend.

Ah, thanks. I've got SanDisk 16 GB category 2. I'm getting a replacement tomorrow and post the results in this thread. Though I'd like to upgrad to Cat 4 if they let me. I heard apps launched from SD card should run faster then. :)

loomism2

Jan 30, 2009
I am having pretty much the same problem. I can't view any pics on my phone, although they show up on my computer when I mount the camera to my computer. All I get is a weird icon in place of all the photos. It even tells me how many photos I have in each folder, just no thumbnails shown. When I try to view an individual picture it says "The application Camera (process com.android.camera) has stopped unexpectedly." And I have to force close.

When I try to take a photo with the phone it says I need to insert an sd card to take a picture, but when I look under storage it shows the sd card fine.

I am running JF's RC30 1.41 with the BUUF theme, although I don't THINK that is causing the problem. I'm pretty sure it worked fine until the other night when I tried to take a photo with the battery really low and the phone shut down on it's own. However, I went into the card and deleted the jpg files that weren't showing a thumbnail picture thinking that would solve it, but no dice. Any thoughts? Is there a way to just re-install the camera app? I usually use SnapPhoto but the same no sd card message occurs with both camera apps.

Razor1973

Jun 23, 2006
Florida
I reported this issue to Google here:

http://code.google.com/p/android/is...ID Type Version Security Status Owner Summary

Their official position is "There's been some significant improvements in that area that will be in a future release." Hopefully, this is included in RC33 just coming out, even though it has not been mentioned so far.

My interim solution was to use a different card (my trouble card was a SanDisk 8GB). I used a 2GB for a while with no problems at all, but I have been using another 8GB car for a week and have not had any trouble. I'd recommend a Class 6 card like the Adata I just got.

justanothercrowd

Jan 29, 2009
i noticed when i remove the camer.apk i lose the shortcut to the picture viewer and the shortcut when long pressing the home screen to add a wallpaper. after removal the only option is wallpaper gallery

loomism2

Jan 30, 2009
Just an update. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner, but after removing the bad .jpg's from my sd card I finally rebooted the phone and I now have a working camera and I can browse my pictures. So anyone else having problems, check your picture folders for files that won't show a thumbnail and remove those. See if that helps. Just remember to reboot your phone afterward.

Autarkis

Dec 12, 2008
Basel
I'm terribly sorry but I forgot the promised update to this thread.

They gave me a replacement SanDisk SD card at fnac without much of a hassle and after the phone had indexed the 2200+ pictures on the phone, everything was smooth. I don't have camera app crashes at the moment.

My SanDisk ist 16 GB Class 2. Lots of thanks to funbacon!