[Q] [HELP] Google Apps Device Policy Work Around?

Search This thread

B1gC72

Feb 2, 2008
Maryland
Hey everyone,

This one really has me stumped. My work is finally moving it's email from Exchange to Google Apps for Business, and for many reasons at first I couldn't be happier. I signed on as an early adopter and have now realized I've hit a huge snag. I can no longer get email notifications on my device without basically giving my employer nearly full control of my personal device. They are requiring the Google Apps Device Policy and forcing a 6 character password to unlock my device, encryption, and permission to remote wipe, among other things. I just really don't feel comfortable giving them that kind of control over my personal device but I do need immediate access to my email to stay on top of things since I'm out in the field way more often than I get a chance to sit in an office. The mobile Gmail site works well enough, but not as well as IMAP support with push notifications would. When we were on Outlook, their policy was essentially similar in that you couldn't bring your own device, but I was able to find a nice app called Outlook Web Mail for Outlook OWA Web Mail which essentially logs into the webmail site and was able to present it in a mobile format and even offer notifications.

I guess what I'm looking for at this point is something similar. I'm hoping someone can suggest an app that, as far as the server is concerned, is just checking the mail from the mobile website but is presenting it to me in an app that is able to give me notifications, even if it's on an interval and not push. Does anyone know if such an app exists for Google Apps for Business accounts or is even possible?

If not, then I guess the next thing I would be looking for is a hackier workaround that can convince the server that I'm abiding by all the rules and still allow me to do whatever I want with my device. I realize this is riskier as far as getting me into trouble but I am rooted and familiar with flashing, Xposed Modules and whatnot (I was surprised my device was even approved with my root status and custom rom).

So sorry for the dissertation but I wanted to lay the whole situation out. I found other threads about GADP but they were more talking about device compatibility rather than a workaround/bypass for it. Anyone gone through something similar at their job? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Worse come to worse, the mobile site isn't the worst thing in the world considering that Outlook mess we came from. Thanks in advance.

My device:
Retail Verizon Note 3 rooted with SafeStrap running the latest Eclipse ROM

B1gC72

Feb 2, 2008
Maryland
Well is there any way to receive notifications from the mobile site? I think I recall a few years back when Google pulled sync support for iOS that some iPhone users had to do some shenanigans like this without push support and people used apps that were essentially browsers to check mail and provide notifications. Is there anything similar on Android? Or does it not exist since it's a niche concept? I just have a hard time believing I'm the only person with this problem.

B1gC72

Feb 2, 2008
Maryland
If you want to just access emails, calendar, etc., try Touchdown. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nitrodesk.droid20.nitroid&hl=en

You will not use the gmail or google contacts/calendar app though.
That's for the reply. I'll give that a go. I've actually rigged it up so I still get notifications at this point through filters and auto forwards to my personal account. But something more native would be a lot better. Thanks again.

k0ncept

Feb 18, 2014
No further information on this thread?

I'm in the same situation with my company making the switch to google apps. They are enforcing encryption and non root'd phone. I have found that I can use IMAP to get my email, but my calendar is not found.

I have looked into just circumventing the checks....the only encryption solution i've found is some twrp/titanium back up so that you can at least easily recover systems after u've already been encrypted (not exactly a great solution).

As for the root access, ,the only solution i've found is with rootcloak (im not even sure if either of these solutions would actually work. I'm very much interested in a real solution.

Blis

Sep 14, 2006
Rootcloack didn't work for me, but that was 8 months ago. Try Touchdown, it's free for 30 days.

kgptzac

Aug 13, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
ZTE Axon 7
I'm in a very similar situation and looking for the same workaround. Currently I'm able to use Edison Software's "Email" app to log in my corporate email account, but without the ability to receive notifications... which is a step better to endure the horrible mobile UI on gmail's website, but still would be better to have push notifications

scorpienez

Jul 8, 2012
Cotton City
Have you found any good alternative for gmail/hangouts/sheets without having to install "device policy"??
Hey everyone,

This one really has me stumped. My work is finally moving it's email from Exchange to Google Apps for Business, and for many reasons at first I couldn't be happier. I signed on as an early adopter and have now realized I've hit a huge snag. I can no longer get email notifications on my device without basically giving my employer nearly full control of my personal device. They are requiring the Google Apps Device Policy and forcing a 6 character password to unlock my device, encryption, and permission to remote wipe, among other things. I just really don't feel comfortable giving them that kind of control over my personal device but I do need immediate access to my email to stay on top of things since I'm out in the field way more often than I get a chance to sit in an office. The mobile Gmail site works well enough, but not as well as IMAP support with push notifications would. When we were on Outlook, their policy was essentially similar in that you couldn't bring your own device, but I was able to find a nice app called Outlook Web Mail for Outlook OWA Web Mail which essentially logs into the webmail site and was able to present it in a mobile format and even offer notifications.

I guess what I'm looking for at this point is something similar. I'm hoping someone can suggest an app that, as far as the server is concerned, is just checking the mail from the mobile website but is presenting it to me in an app that is able to give me notifications, even if it's on an interval and not push. Does anyone know if such an app exists for Google Apps for Business accounts or is even possible?

If not, then I guess the next thing I would be looking for is a hackier workaround that can convince the server that I'm abiding by all the rules and still allow me to do whatever I want with my device. I realize this is riskier as far as getting me into trouble but I am rooted and familiar with flashing, Xposed Modules and whatnot (I was surprised my device was even approved with my root status and custom rom).

So sorry for the dissertation but I wanted to lay the whole situation out. I found other threads about GADP but they were more talking about device compatibility rather than a workaround/bypass for it. Anyone gone through something similar at their job? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Worse come to worse, the mobile site isn't the worst thing in the world considering that Outlook mess we came from. Thanks in advance.

My device:

Reactions: Zainano

B1gC72

Feb 2, 2008
Maryland
Have you found any good alternative for gmail/hangouts/sheets without having to install "device policy"??

Nope. It just doesn't work on Android. They gave me an iPhone (I asked for a Pixel :rolleyes:) when I got a promotion last year, so now I just carry 2 phones. That said, I haven't rooted in a while so I don't know what's happening in that front anymore.

I don't think there's a way to do what I was trying to do before. Sorry folks.

Last edited:
Reactions: scorpienez

Bill720

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 13, 2013
AT&T HTC One
Moto X Style (Pure)
Me too...

Nope. It just doesn't work on Android. They gave me an iPhone (I asked for a Pixel :rolleyes:) when I got a promotion last year, so now I just carry 2 phones. That said, I haven't rooted in a while so I don't know what's happening in that front anymore.

I'm sorry to hear that. My educational institution's unlimited-storage Google account seems like the perfect match for this phone, but draconian MDM is a non-starter. Hopefully someone in the community does find a workaround at some point!

Reactions: Zainano

boxboy5

Jan 10, 2019
I have the exact same problem. I got a new personal phone which I was hoping I would be able to use Gmail and Google Classroom on for school but the device policy manager deactivates a bunch of my settings when i try it. The accounts just don't work without the policy manager, from the internet or the app. Do you think that if I were to speak to the school about it that they would be able to remove it? or is it impossible from their end due to the privileges they need over the account for security etc?
Thanks for your help,
Boxboy5

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone,

My device:
    I'm looking for a way to do this as well.
    Hey everyone,

My device: