WiFi?

Search This thread

Micheal1122

Jun 22, 2014
Fl
Hi,

Why am I getting this notification for the 1st time in approx 2 months that have got a OPO, despite that am connected to WiFi?

Hoping to hear from you experts.

Thanks.

Last edited:

oscarandjo

Aug 26, 2013
This sort of thing normally pops up when the WiFi network wants you to go to some sort of page, this is usually for a login to free WiFi hotspots, I assume this Dlink is your WiFi? Perhaps it wants you to open this page to change a configuration or login. This doesn't seem to be Android related at all but more to do with your router, could you try tapping on the notification and screenshot the page it opens, if any.

Reactions: Micheal1122

Micheal1122

Jun 22, 2014
Fl
This sort of thing normally pops up when the WiFi network wants you to go to some sort of page, this is usually for a login to free WiFi hotspots, I assume this Dlink is your WiFi? Perhaps it wants you to open this page to change a configuration or login. This doesn't seem to be Android related at all but more to do with your router, could you try tapping on the notification and screenshot the page it opens, if any.

Thanks for replying, appreciate your expert views.

DLink is my WiFi and not a hotspot WiFi, never occurred earlier.

When I tap on it, G chrome takes me to 173.194.35.96/generate _204

Google results of this IP......173.194.35.96 which is Spy-IP.com

and Google has different results for this 173.194.35.96/generate _204

It never happened earlier in the past 2 months.

Been using the same OPO and same WiFi.

Any solutions to resolve it?

Thanks again and Best regards!

oscarandjo

Aug 26, 2013

This is a router setting then, that page is some sort of login. Perhaps guest mode has been enabled on your router? Try this:

Settings>Wi-Fi>Modify Network>Show advanced options> Change DHCP to Static. Here, find the box that says Gateway and note the IP here. Now change Static back to DHCP and close this menu.

Go into the browser on your OPO and put in this Gateway IP, this will take you to the router config. The login for this is usually on the bottom of the router, otherwise the default can be found by searching the router model number, try finding a guest mode setting and turning it off - I really don't know... You can also change your WiFi name and password here if you like ;)

I can't really help you any more than that.

Micheal1122

Jun 22, 2014
Fl
This is a router setting then, that page is some sort of login. Perhaps guest mode has been enabled on your router? Try this:

Settings>Wi-Fi>Modify Network>Show advanced options> Change DHCP to Static. Here, find the box that says Gateway and note the IP here. Now change Static back to DHCP and close this menu.

Go into the browser on your OPO and put in this Gateway IP, this will take you to the router config. The login for this is usually on the bottom of the router, otherwise the default can be found by searching the router model number, try finding a guest mode setting and turning it off - I really don't know... You can also change your WiFi name and password here if you like ;)

Thanks for all your expert assistance, now you have given me options shall resolve it.

and keep you updated.

Best regards!

Btw factory reset reflash could help too?

Micheal1122

Jun 22, 2014
Fl
Another strange thing all internet/WiFi related apps work fine including G Chrome and Mail in it but no GMail..........:confused:

oscarandjo

Aug 26, 2013
Thanks for all your expert assistance, now you have given me options shall resolve it.

and keep you updated.

Best regards!

Glad to hear, I am strongly advising against the factory restore. This is a feature of Android, although it is strange for it to be happening in this circumstance there is nothing it will achieve.

Micheal1122

Jun 22, 2014
Fl
Glad to hear, I am strongly advising against the factory restore. This is a feature of Android, although it is strange for it to be happening in this circumstance there is nothing it will achieve.

1. Changed router's password.

2. Guests mode is Off.

3. All apps working with WiFi except GMail and GPS.

4. Still see the notification.

5. Should WPS be Enabled, it is disabled at the moment?

6. You don't recommend a factory reset what about a re flash of 30 OR?

Thanks.

Last edited:

d4fseeker

Oct 16, 2010
Your phone is working fine, it seems you have triggered some sort of bug in Android's WIFI login detection.
The system works by accessing DNS and check if the resulting IP is owned by google.com or some network-internal redirection/replacement by a login page.
Now, the IP 173.194.35.96 is owned by Google, so the DNS lookup obviously worked perfectly but for some reason the phone gets an unexpected answer from that server. Which makes me guess to one of the 2 following options:

a) one of the computers in your network is infected and Google keeps showing the "Prove you're human" captcha window on requests.

b) your provider is replacing failed DNS lookups with it's own "helper" page which for some reason is making Android trip. If possible, change the DNS servers in your router to either OpenDNS or Google DNS.

That's entirely your choice. However I would only recommend enabling it if it's the "Push to WPS" method and not constantly on - WPS is broken and depending on your router it takes between 1 to 10'000 attempts (1 second to ~ 2 hours) to break into your WIFI. Not good!

Micheal1122

Jun 22, 2014
Fl
Your phone is working fine, it seems you have triggered some sort of bug in Android's WIFI login detection.
The system works by accessing DNS and check if the resulting IP is owned by google.com or some network-internal redirection/replacement by a login page.
Now, the IP 173.194.35.96 is owned by Google, so the DNS lookup obviously worked perfectly but for some reason the phone gets an unexpected answer from that server. Which makes me guess to one of the 2 following options:

a) one of the computers in your network is infected and Google keeps showing the "Prove you're human" captcha window on requests.

b) your provider is replacing failed DNS lookups with it's own "helper" page which for some reason is making Android trip. If possible, change the DNS servers in your router to either OpenDNS or Google DNS.

That's entirely your choice. However I would only recommend enabling it if it's the "Push to WPS" method and not constantly on - WPS is broken and depending on your router it takes between 1 to 10'000 attempts (1 second to ~ 2 hours) to break into your WIFI. Not good!

Thanks issue resolved.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    He's right. This looks like a router setting that you might have turned on like guest mode.

and keep you updated.

Best regards!