[HELP] OTA KitKat update error on rooted D950

Search This thread
I have a (previously) rooted D950, and I can't get the OTA At&t update to install. I've completely removed root, and double checked through root checker that it's gone, and the update errors out every time with a message about having been rooted.

I read another thread where some people report being able to retain root after receiving the update THEN downgrading and rooting 4.2.2., then installing the OTA again, but it seems that I jumped the gun and rooted first, which is now causing the install to error out.

Has anyone else experienced this? Found a workaround? Ideas? Totally frustrating.

Sent from my LG-D950 using xda premium

Here is the link to a detailed guide . Dev hyelton's page includes links to AT&T ROMs.

If you need help with LG Flash Tool:

- Connect your phone with usb to laptop/computer and open device manager
- seek for Ports: COM & LPT, right click onto Android LTE usb port connection, click "properties", click "Advanced", then change port number to number 41, click "OK"
- DOWNLOAD LG Flash Tool and install .exe
- DOWNLOAD MegaLock.zip (3kb), unzipped (7kb)
- Exchange MegaLock.dll in your system folder "LG" with the unzipped MegaLock.dll file that you have downloaded
- Open LG Flash Tool, input .dll file of downloaded stock rom.zip folder and input .tot file of this folder
- Click onto USB instead of LAN, then click "OK"
- Left arrow at the window top should be enlightened now
- Click onto this arrow
- Wait for all popup windows telling milky way download and connections to fail
- Wait then for the check of CRC and .dll files
- One or all ports should be opened, "READY" enlightened
- Disconnect your phone from computer
- Connect again and watch the immediate start of the flashing process
- After completion you must install most of the app updates, update your LG and/or AT&T profile before installing kitkat update.zip

If you'll stick in updating stock rom to kitkat, watch my video on YouTube (it's about LS995 Sprint, but AT&T LG Flex will proof the same installation process):

Visit my blog at http://www.myreviewsofreviews.for the detailed description how to avoid bootloop during the installation of LG Kitkat update.zip via ADB sideload

Reactions: lorawithano
Thanks, but this is not a fix. Unfortunately, that guide is of no use since his links are still down. Further, I was hoping for feedback from others who have experienced this issue, and found a resolution. I have read that this is also happening on devices that have not been rooted.

I am not looking to flash a rom through FlashTool. I'm looking to fix the OTA error. All I want to do is install the OTA update.

brittoking

Apr 12, 2008
Thanks, but this is not a fix. Unfortunately, that guide is of no use since his links are still down. Further, I was hoping for feedback from others who have experienced this issue, and found a resolution. I have read that this is also happening on devices that have not been rooted.

I am not looking to flash a rom through FlashTool. I'm looking to fix the OTA error. All I want to do is install the OTA update.

Not sure what you were hoping for but the guide is correct process for your problem. You need to flash back to 4.2, don't touch anything in the way of modifying system files or deleting bloatware, sign into your main Google account, update all your apps...then root the phone and when it reboots look for the ota. I would give it a couple min to setup after flashing back to 4.2 so that it successfully finds the update rather than telling you you're on the most current software. I had your exact problem too, I was one of the first AT&T users on here to take the update I tried everything to
A: retain root with supersu features and some root cloaker programs etcetera
B: factory reset, call AT&T, to get them to push the update again because I just could not get it to successfully flash without detecting suspicion of root.
Flashing back to 4.2 to retain root worked for me over 4 times now on 3 different flex phones (I had some hardware and then software issues on my replacement model)

Sent from my LG-D950 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Not sure what you were hoping for but the guide is correct process for your problem. You need to flash back to 4.2, don't touch anything in the way of modifying system files or deleting bloatware, sign into your main Google account, update all your apps...then root the phone and when it reboots look for the ota. I would give it a couple min to setup after flashing back to 4.2 so that it successfully finds the update rather than telling you you're on the most current software. I had your exact problem too, I was one of the first AT&T users on here to take the update I tried everything to
A: retain root with supersu features and some root cloaker programs etcetera
B: factory reset, call AT&T, to get them to push the update again because I just could not get it to successfully flash without detecting suspicion of root.
Flashing back to 4.2 to retain root worked for me over 4 times now on 3 different flex phones (I had some hardware and then software issues on my replacement model)

You say flash back to 4.2, but I am already on 4.2. Never left 4.2. That's the issue. The device is defective. They're sending me a new one.

brittoking

Apr 12, 2008
You say flash back to 4.2, but I am already on 4.2. Never left 4.2. That's the issue. The device is defective. They're sending me a new one.

You didn't understand my post at all it seems, I gave you the instructions to flash back to STOCK which would have fixed your problem. I did accidentally word my post incorrectly saying "flash BACK to 4.2" obviously I knew you were on 4.2, so clearly I meant use the aforementioned guide to flash back to stock then take the update. Looks like you went another route, congrats

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Huh? Wut :confused::eek:

Not sure where things went wrong here.....

Me thinks some thread cleaning is in order...

Stand-by....

Cleaning finished.

Come on folks, let's relax and take a breath. Sometimes things just don't work and there's little to be done about it. If common known procedures don't work, then hopefully something else will, and just move along to something else.

Or in this case, the device is being returned which of course solves all.

No need for anybody to get all bent out of shape, what started out as being helpful, just took a bad turn somewhere for unknown reasons.

Relax, be cool....

MD

Last edited:

santy83

Oct 21, 2014
KitKat update on ATT G FLEX running on Tmobile.

This might be a stupid question . I have my ATT G FLEX D950 running on Tmobile. It is on Jellybean . I am unable to pull the Kitkat update and it says "Phone is not registered on network". I am assuming I need to get my phone on ATT network to pull the update. Am I right? is there any other way out ?

johny101010

Dec 21, 2011
This might be a stupid question . I have my ATT G FLEX D950 running on Tmobile. It is on Jellybean . I am unable to pull the Kitkat update and it says "Phone is not registered on network". I am assuming I need to get my phone on ATT network to pull the update. Am I right? is there any other way out ?

Kinda, yes.
I had the same problem. My phone was never activated on the ATT network so it would not recognize it. You have 2 options:
Get a prepaid sim from ATT, use it once and than put your Tmobile sim back in there or ask a friend that has ATT to use the sim for a few minutes. A text or a phone call is all you need.
Worked great for me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Huh? Wut :confused::eek:

Not sure where things went wrong here.....

Me thinks some thread cleaning is in order...

Stand-by....

Cleaning finished.

Come on folks, let's relax and take a breath. Sometimes things just don't work and there's little to be done about it. If common known procedures don't work, then hopefully something else will, and just move along to something else.

Or in this case, the device is being returned which of course solves all.

No need for anybody to get all bent out of shape, what started out as being helpful, just took a bad turn somewhere for unknown reasons.

Relax, be cool....

MD
    Here is the link to a detailed guide . Dev hyelton's page includes links to AT&T ROMs.

If you need help with LG Flash Tool:

- Connect your phone with usb to laptop/computer and open device manager
    - seek for Ports: COM & LPT, right click onto Android LTE usb port connection, click "properties", click "Advanced", then change port number to number 41, click "OK"
    - DOWNLOAD LG Flash Tool and install .exe
    - DOWNLOAD MegaLock.zip (3kb), unzipped (7kb)
    - Exchange MegaLock.dll in your system folder "LG" with the unzipped MegaLock.dll file that you have downloaded
    - Open LG Flash Tool, input .dll file of downloaded stock rom.zip folder and input .tot file of this folder
    - Click onto USB instead of LAN, then click "OK"
    - Left arrow at the window top should be enlightened now
    - Click onto this arrow
    - Wait for all popup windows telling milky way download and connections to fail
    - Wait then for the check of CRC and .dll files
    - One or all ports should be opened, "READY" enlightened
    - Disconnect your phone from computer
    - Connect again and watch the immediate start of the flashing process
    - After completion you must install most of the app updates, update your LG and/or AT&T profile before installing kitkat update.zip

If you'll stick in updating stock rom to kitkat, watch my video on YouTube (it's about LS995 Sprint, but AT&T LG Flex will proof the same installation process):

Visit my blog at http://www.myreviewsofreviews.for the detailed description how to avoid bootloop during the installation of LG Kitkat update.zip via ADB sideload