[Q] Kindle Fire use outside US.

Search This thread

BurnRubber90

May 1, 2011
Guayaquil
I need some help.. I would love to get a Kindle Fire, but I don't know if it will work outside the states. I don't plan using Amazon services and would install AOSP ICS as soon as I get it but.. If I got it would I be able to install a custom ROM on it?

Sent from my Pyramid-T using xda premium

jmcoffey

Dec 6, 2011
Peachtree City
I need some help.. I would love to get a Kindle Fire, but I don't know if it will work outside the states. I don't plan using Amazon services and would install AOSP ICS as soon as I get it but.. If I got it would I be able to install a custom ROM on it?

As long as you have working adb and fastboot, you don't even need to touch the kindle. (Other than to plug it in and install these things.)

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using XDA App

Reactions: BurnRubber90

-Zeta-

Nov 17, 2011
It will work outside US, no matter you root/flash it or not, you can still browse web, read docs/books/comics, watch your own videos...
But you may not use the Amazon version of "Market" to get apps.

And for sure you can flash it, root it and enjoy almost full Android features.

P.S. I am a KF user in Hong Kong(which is apparently outside US), now using IceCreamSandwich on the KF and previously using CM7.

Reactions: BurnRubber90

qwertal23

Feb 13, 2011
UK user - to root or not to root!

Hope my message sits correctly in this thread...So, my KF has just arrived (UK) - yet to turn it on, and hoping for your advice please!
Do I:
1/ Turn it on, put in WIFI password, allow the OS update, see what works and what doesn't in the UK
2/ Enter some elaborate hoax by using USA IP address etc to try and get access to cloud, games etc
3/ Go for broke - root it and install Android 2.3. Have done this with a ZTE blade before, but the more I read, the harder it looks (especially when you factor in most 'how to' guides need access to the Amazon app store at least once to get started. Any UK specific walkthrough's available?

Concerned that option 1 will rule out options 2 or 3...

Would genuinely appreciate any advice or tips from 'one who knows'. FYI I got the Kindle via Ebay (new), £150 all in (and they threw in a UK plug, bless them).

Many thanks,

Qwertal 23

wigsey

Jan 18, 2012
I'm in the UK and you can get most things to work on the fire bar the streaming.

For Access to the appstore set up a amazon.com account at a US address with a Dummy amex card number (google it) - If you want non free apps then buy a $ gift card with your uk amazon account and put it in the US account.

For Android market access with the stock Rom install TWRP and use the Modaco ROM.

If you set up the Amazon US account then you really don't need to do the TWRP stuff.

You also need to Install mobo player to play all formats of films in the UK. You can get the .apk with a google search.

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

The appstore doesn't check your ISP address by the way. Nor does the bookstore but the video sales does !!!!!!

Reactions: qwertal23

Hausschuh

Aug 26, 2010
If you are installing a CR then you don't have to worry, it runs perfectly. But you could also use the Stock Rom with an US Account.

Last edited:

gadgetman13

Feb 6, 2012
Concerned that option 1 will rule out options 2 or 3...

I'm no expert by any means, but I don't see why 1 would rule out 3 unless Amazon's come up with something newer than 6.2.2 that isn't rootable yet.

Just for the record, though, I don't use amazon services other than reading kindle books through the kindle app. On ICS.

manni4711

Mar 5, 2012
Amazon app store denies purchas

hey guys,

I followed the various instructions, set up a new amazon account with us address und us credit card, and also using ión my mac a us proxy not to have a regional ip (from gemany) but no matter how i try, i neither can get free apps from the amazon store on my kindle fire, nor can i purchase e.g. a movie.
does anyone know how to solve?

also my amazon store on the kf does not work, though telling me i use a non-us credit card, even though this is wrong, i use a us credit card.

miro101

Jan 22, 2012
hey guys,

I followed the various instructions, set up a new amazon account with us address und us credit card, and also using ión my mac a us proxy not to have a regional ip (from gemany) but no matter how i try, i neither can get free apps from the amazon store on my kindle fire, nor can i purchase e.g. a movie.
does anyone know how to solve?

also my amazon store on the kf does not work, though telling me i use a non-us credit card, even though this is wrong, i use a us credit card.

I'm from Germany, too. To buy the free apps I'm using the Tor network with exit "noiseexit01[a,b,c,d]". It does work perfect. On the kindle fire you can use Orbot and set it up in transparent proxy mode (only proxy for the appstore).

For downloading use the normal ip without proxy. Works for me for more than half a year.

I dont have us creditcard so i'm using one my fakenamegenerator

gregruckas

Jan 1, 2011
i am living in Germany too. Before flashing ics I wanted to know whether there are any issues with wifi channel 14. Saw that mentioned in the known bug list of cyanogen mod.
is wifi working properly in Europe with the custom roms?
regards Torsten

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

mx82

Dec 9, 2011
Hi,
I'm from Germany too and have no us credit card.
How is it possible to install free apps ? I need an explorer to root my kindle fire.

Greetings Max

b63

Dec 8, 2011
Last edited:
Reactions: mx82

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

As long as you have working adb and fastboot, you don't even need to touch the kindle. (Other than to plug it in and install these things.)

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using XDA App
    It will work outside US, no matter you root/flash it or not, you can still browse web, read docs/books/comics, watch your own videos...
    But you may not use the Amazon version of "Market" to get apps.

And for sure you can flash it, root it and enjoy almost full Android features.

P.S. I am a KF user in Hong Kong(which is apparently outside US), now using IceCreamSandwich on the KF and previously using CM7.
    I'm in the UK and you can get most things to work on the fire bar the streaming.

For Access to the appstore set up a amazon.com account at a US address with a Dummy amex card number (google it) - If you want non free apps then buy a $ gift card with your uk amazon account and put it in the US account.

For Android market access with the stock Rom install TWRP and use the Modaco ROM.

If you set up the Amazon US account then you really don't need to do the TWRP stuff.

You also need to Install mobo player to play all formats of films in the UK. You can get the .apk with a google search.

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

The appstore doesn't check your ISP address by the way. Nor does the bookstore but the video sales does !!!!!!
    Hi,
    I'm from Germany too and have no us credit card.
    How is it possible to install free apps ? I need an explorer to root my kindle fire.

Greetings Max
    kfu should do all what you need - perm root/fff&twrp/install gapps - includes the google android market - download apps ...
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1399889
    and then install
    http://munday.ws/kindlefire/MarketOpener.apk