My data dont work when using a vpn

Search This thread

xda23

Sep 13, 2013
When I use my Gs5 as s hot spot for internet for my laptop if I use a vpn the data will not work. If I try to download a web page it will say theres no data connection but if I disconnected the vpn it works just fine.Does anyone know why when connected to a vpn this problem occurs. Thanks In advance!!! :)

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Free mobile app

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
When I use my Gs5 as s hot spot for internet for my laptop if I use a vpn the data will not work. If I try to download a web page it will say theres no data connection but if I disconnected the vpn it works just fine.Does anyone know why when connected to a vpn this problem occurs. Thanks In advance!!! :)

More then likely, the VPN is detecting the tethering connection causing it to try to encrypt that as well as the actual data connection.

I take it you're using an app to establish a connection to the VPN? try using the native VPN connection inside android. I have used a VPN with tethering before and I believe that was my setup.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Reactions: xda23

xda23

Sep 13, 2013
More then likely, the VPN is detecting the tethering connection causing it to try to encrypt that as well as the actual data connection.

I take it you're using an app to establish a connection to the VPN? try using the native VPN connection inside android. I have used a VPN with tethering before and I believe that was my setup.

Yes I'am using an app to establish a connection.how do I set up the native vpn connection inside android. Thanks :)

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Yes I'am using an app to establish a connection.how do I set up the native vpn connection inside android. Thanks :)

Settings > Connections > More networks.

You will need to get the server destination address and other information from your VPN client.

xda23

Sep 13, 2013
Hey if I was to use wifi tethering app from the market for rooted devices then a vpn app set up would work right? I just need to use the built-in vpn setup when using my native wifi hotspot? I that right. Thanks. :)

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Hey if I was to use wifi tethering app from the market for rooted devices then a vpn app set up would work right? I just need to use the built-in vpn setup when using my native wifi hotspot? I that right. Thanks. :)

Nope. You need the built-in VPN setup any time you tether. Whats happening is the VPN App is detecting the WiFi connection and you data connection as being "internet connections" therefore it tries to encrypt the WiFi and Data connections double encrypting the data. Or, its not sure what network to port the data through. Using the built-in VPN setup only allows the data connection to be "VPNed"

I used to use WiFi Tether For Root Users on my S4 but still had troubles with VPN until I manually set up the VPN in android.

xda23

Sep 13, 2013
Nope. You need the built-in VPN setup any time you tether. Whats happening is the VPN App is detecting the WiFi connection and you data connection as being "internet connections" therefore it tries to encrypt the WiFi and Data connections double encrypting the data. Or, its not sure what network to port the data through. Using the built-in VPN setup only allows the data connection to be "VPNed"

I used to use WiFi Tether For Root Users on my S4 but still had troubles with VPN until I manually set up the VPN in android.

O.k. I got you.Im going to set me up a android vpn. Thanks, my friend. :)

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010

Shouldn't be too hard. Just contact your VPN service provider, and ask them for the specific connection options you need. For instance, I know Private Internet Access allows you to connect without using their app. They have a webpage setup that has all the info you need depending which server you wish to connect to :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Settings > Connections > More networks.

You will need to get the server destination address and other information from your VPN client.

Yup. I've used that method for playing PS3.

In the following post I described how you can setup a VPN connection on GS5 that might be helpful for your case as well:
    http://xdaforums.com/general/networking/how-to-set-s-native-vpn-android-device-t2868224#post55313798