[KERNEL] CM7 Nightly kernel with OC/RAM hack + tweaks

Search This thread

fallout0

Nov 27, 2008
Howdy,

I've been using the CM7 nightly builds for a while now and figured it'd be nice to have a kernel that's based on CM7 with overclocking, RAM hack and couple of other tweaks. This kernel is pretty similar to the volkKernel but I wanted to have my own ;)

Changes:
* Overclocking up to 1500 mhz (only through pimp my cpu at the moment)
* Default I/O scheduler of NOOP

I'll try to keep it up to date with the latest CM7 kernel sources.

Last edited:

lws803

Nov 15, 2010
Singapore
Hmmm pardon me for asking, but why is it a 32mb RAM hack now instead of 64mb? Is it to resolve the gallery bugs?

fallout0

Nov 27, 2008
I am using the original cpujauste o/c code that's why it only works with pimp my CPU. ill look into the others tomorrow to get that working

The 64mb hack caused issues for people with 1080p recording and the gallery. ill try it again and see how it works :)

ranrick

Jul 29, 2010
ok, i found some bugs.
1. Reboot doesn't work. I guess thats because of the 32MB Ram Hack (for the vorkkernal, reboot doesn't work either)
2. After running a couple of hours, you only get around 50% of your CPU performance. Maybe the scheduler isn't optimized well. I recognized it by playing n64oid and it has lagged. Also I only get 3900 points at Antutu instead of ~5000 points.

fallout0

Nov 27, 2008
ok, i found some bugs.
1. Reboot doesn't work. I guess thats because of the 32MB Ram Hack (for the vorkkernal, reboot doesn't work either)
2. After running a couple of hours, you only get around 50% of your CPU performance. Maybe the scheduler isn't optimized well. I recognized it by playing n64oid and it has lagged. Also I only get 3900 points at Antutu instead of ~5000 points.

I think it's actually booting at ~700mhz by default so unless you set it up in pimp my cpu it'll stay at ~700 mhz. Probably why it's lagging.

Reactions: ranrick

Imperticus

Jan 27, 2011
We need more people working on kernels, thanks for doing so. Any improvements on battery life? Personally I find CM7 battery life to be pretty bad.

somemadcaaant

Apr 28, 2010
Android Wear
OnePlus 7T Pro
Hey fallout0,

Nice work mate.

I think the general consensus is to not have the 64mb hack in kernels judging from a couple of poles about only 20% wanting the hack, probably less now.

I prefer to not have the hack at all imho, far too many instabilities for zero gain that being said I have yet to find a completely stable o/c kernel to use - stock seems to be the only completely stable kernel.

Be trying yours later on today so keep up the good work!

-smc

fallout0

Nov 27, 2008
Hey fallout0,

Nice work mate.

I think the general consensus is to not have the 64mb hack in kernels judging from a couple of poles about only 20% wanting the hack, probably less now.

I prefer to not have the hack at all imho, far too many instabilities for zero gain that being said I have yet to find a completely stable o/c kernel to use - stock seems to be the only completely stable kernel.

Be trying yours later on today so keep up the good work!

-smc

Hey

Cheers :)

The ram hack and even overclocking support are pretty nasty hacks. Having said that I like the ability of adjusting voltages/maximum frequencies and until there is a better solution I think it's worth having this one :)

I agree about the RAM hack. I tried volkKernel and besides the reboot issue I didn't have any problems with the 32mb RAM hack. However the extra 32mb of RAM might not even be that useful.

I'll see how things pan out with this one then remove/add things as people complain :)

TrymHansen

Jun 7, 2011
Hey

Cheers :)

The ram hack and even overclocking support are pretty nasty hacks. Having said that I like the ability of adjusting voltages/maximum frequencies and until there is a better solution I think it's worth having this one :)

I agree about the RAM hack. I tried volkKernel and besides the reboot issue I didn't have any problems with the 32mb RAM hack. However the extra 32mb of RAM might not even be that useful.

I'll see how things pan out with this one then remove/add things as people complain :)

Can't the reboot issue be easily resolved? According to RC, the bootloader expects the reboot-information to be at 128MB + 11 bytes, while the system writes it to [MB Reserved for Graphics]+11 bytes. As long as no ram-hack is applied, it'll of course be in the right place. Shouldn't it be easy for a kernel to just copy what is at [MB RESERVED]+11 to [128MB]+11 before shutdown?

Just talking by the seat of my pants here, haven't looked at any of the sourcecode, but it certainly feels feasible.

::Trym

ranrick

Jul 29, 2010
I wish for that kernal:
- option on 32mb hack
- AVP/SD ram OC
- CMPart OC settings

thats it ^^

ramilich

Jan 13, 2009
Almaty
He-hey!))) This kernel is almost burnt my phone off.... Came upstairs after the dinner and found the phone off and very-very hooot... So, now I'm waiting for it to cool down a bit... Hope it'll turn on again)))

Update: Thank God that it didn't turn into BRICK))) Came on again and I've flashed it back to vorkkernel.
I am using MIUI ROM.

Last edited:

timon85

Mar 26, 2008
Very good works!! ;) I have now tested with CM7 ROM "nightly full-77" version.
Fantastic Quadrant Score!!! :D

i102350_screenshot-1311415008737.png

Last edited:

aremcee

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 1, 2010
Can't the reboot issue be easily resolved? According to RC, the bootloader expects the reboot-information to be at 128MB + 11 bytes, while the system writes it to [MB Reserved for Graphics]+11 bytes. As long as no ram-hack is applied, it'll of course be in the right place. Shouldn't it be easy for a kernel to just copy what is at [MB RESERVED]+11 to [128MB]+11 before shutdown?

Just talking by the seat of my pants here, haven't looked at any of the sourcecode, but it certainly feels feasible.

::Trym

I thought about it, and decided against it. Writing random information into active RAM is never a good idea.

imayoda81

Apr 27, 2006
so far so good with this kernel on RC1...

we want more OC !!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

moooooooore! :D

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts