[Q] Can I root update-kindle-8.4.8_4849120?

Search This thread

donalgodon

Jan 10, 2010
I'm picking up a used Kindle HD 8.9. I'm not sure what version of SW is on it, but can I root and install Playstore on update-kindle-8.4.8_4849120 in case it's at the latest already?

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
I'm picking up a used Kindle HD 8.9. I'm not sure what version of SW is on it, but can I root and install Playstore on update-kindle-8.4.8_4849120 in case it's at the latest already?

yes its rootable and such(all amazon os versions are on the 2012 hd's), though personally i would just flash a custom rom on it, but yea its rootable and can use the playstore with stock os.

Reactions: donalgodon

donalgodon

Jan 10, 2010
yes its rootable and such(all amazon os versions are on the 2012 hd's), though personally i would just flash a custom rom on it, but yea its rootable and can use the playstore with stock os.

That's what I was hoping. I'm getting a good deal on it, and I love the idea of a custom ROM, but I actually use some of the Kindle-specific features, such as having the device read to me, etc. which I use quite a lot, and I'm afraid I'd miss them too much.

Is the later version of the Fire OS just as laggy as the earlier releases? That's the only real criticism I've seen that would bug me.

Do I need root to use the Playstore, or can I just sideload an apk of the Playstore app?

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
You have to root for the play store because part of it is a system app. The later versions of fire os got worse in my opinion, they disabled wallpaper from working and my fix is one of the only ways to get it working on the newer versions and its a little buggy itself. I believe cm has some kinda reading ability but idk the extent of it because I have never used it. I can vouch for the cm ROM as I came from cm 10.1 to cm 11 recently and man was there a difference in speed, much much faster. I can't really tell if amazon os was fast or not as I haven't used it in a while, probably about a year.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk

donalgodon

Jan 10, 2010
You have to root for the play store because part of it is a system app. The later versions of fire os got worse in my opinion, they disabled wallpaper from working and my fix is one of the only ways to get it working on the newer versions and its a little buggy itself. I believe cm has some kinda reading ability but idk the extent of it because I have never used it. I can vouch for the cm ROM as I came from cm 10.1 to cm 11 recently and man was there a difference in speed, much much faster. I can't really tell if amazon os was fast or not as I haven't used it in a while, probably about a year.

So, in your view, how is CM 11 now on the 8.9? I'm debating whether to flash it or not at this point.

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
I can only vouch for what I have used on the 7" model, but considering they are both updated quite a bit they should both be about the same, I have to say it is awesome, my only regret is Google took out the tablet navbar from the code and cm hasn't added it back in as a feature(it's not hashcodes fault in the least). If you haven't ever seen a tablet navbar then just forget I said that as the configuration night he standard navbar is about the same as Amazon's minus the fact its got android looking buttons. I just personally don't like having to use 2 thumbs to hit my soft keys.

donalgodon

Jan 10, 2010
I can only vouch for what I have used on the 7" model, but considering they are both updated quite a bit they should both be about the same, I have to say it is awesome, my only regret is Google took out the tablet navbar from the code and cm hasn't added it back in as a feature(it's not hashcodes fault in the least). If you haven't ever seen a tablet navbar then just forget I said that as the configuration night he standard navbar is about the same as Amazon's minus the fact its got android looking buttons. I just personally don't like having to use 2 thumbs to hit my soft keys.

Do you mean that the Kindle CM 11 doesn't have a full-screen immerse mode? Is the navbar not configurable?

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
It has full screen immersion, I love that feature BTW. And the nav bar is configurable was just talking about this(this is from my cm 10.1 days):

Could only find a portrait screenshot, could a sworn I had landscape pics too...

donalgodon

Jan 10, 2010
It has full screen immersion, I love that feature BTW. And the nav bar is configurable was just talking about this(this is from my cm 10.1 days):

Could only find a portrait screenshot, could a sworn I had landscape pics too...

So, there's no way to blend the on-screen buttons into the UI (not sure how to describe it) as I've seen on other devices?

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
If you are talking about what is seen in my pic the answer is not yet, Google removed the code necessary for that style navbar + status bar and cm hasn't added it back in, I think some people in the kf1 forum were attempting to. It is just a kitkat thing in general, not sure of PAC ROMs have it or not but I still recommend cm 11 despite this. Personally I mainly just liked this layout because it didn't require the use of both thumbs to reach for the buttons.

Pokeroo

Sep 24, 2013
stunts513, did CM10.x have tablet mode? I seem to remember having to go to SGT7 to get that tablet nav bar.

Ken

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
stunts513, did CM10.x have tablet mode? I seem to remember having to go to SGT7 to get that tablet nav bar.

Ken

sorta, it had the nessassary frameworks and such to enable it, but it required some patching on the cm 10.1 and 10.2 builds, i never made a patch for the 8.9" hd, but i think some of the other roms could do it but i don't remeber, think like pac rom and such could but i don't recommend using the older cm 10.2 and 10.1 based builds, the changes that were made sped them up and made them much much much less buggy so i really recommend using a cm 11 based build, i've gotten used to the normal ui, still am hoping for a patch though myself.

Pokeroo

Sep 24, 2013
sorta, it had the nessassary frameworks and such to enable it, but it required some patching on the cm 10.1 and 10.2 builds, i never made a patch for the 8.9" hd, but i think some of the other roms could do it but i don't remeber, think like pac rom and such could but i don't recommend using the older cm 10.2 and 10.1 based builds, the changes that were made sped them up and made them much much much less buggy so i really recommend using a cm 11 based build, i've gotten used to the normal ui, still am hoping for a patch though myself.

I'm with you on that. I'm on PA 4.4 beta1 as of today and probably the one feature I'm waiting/hoping Google will give us back is the tablet nav+notification bar.

Ken

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.