Serious batttery issue, is this normal?

Search This thread

kanej2006

Mar 22, 2008
London
The battery on my Note is decent, giving me 2-3 days of moderate use or roughly a full day with heavy use.

Problem is when the battery decreases to around 40% & lower, the battery drains like anything even when not used.

Simply idling the phone would lose roughly 5-6% over an hour.

When the battery is around 20% it will easily run down to 10% and less over a period of a few hours when doing NOTHING.

Yet when then battery is at 80 & 90% it will lose around 5-6% battery over many hours.

Here is the proof, I took a screenshot of the battery information & you will clearly see rapid drops in battery life when at 50% and less.

On the last 20% it goes down even faster, and this is with NO use at all.

I hope this is fixed in ICS as it's a serious problem.

4rozeu.jpg

jeromepearce

Jun 7, 2007
Mackay
www.processmapping.com.au
Pretty flat at the end there, even while being used.

I have seen that reported elsewhere, but not seen it on my own Note. I have just settled it into a new pattern after rooting and deleting the stats, so I am not certain right now, but I think it remains fairly even over the whole cycle.

I am not sure I could use is as little as you appear to have however! :)

kanej2006

Mar 22, 2008
London
I've yet to get my Note battery to last until 2 days, and not even a full 24 hours (almost heavy usage on data network).

So I guess that's good enough that yours lasted for almost 3 days! :D

Haha, don't get me wrong, I think the battery is great.

I'm only wondering why it goes so quickly when it's at 40% and under...

kazikcz

Sep 19, 2011
This seems odd. I'd say I'm having the same issue (the poor battery performance).

I've been trying to analyse this but don't have much time to do it right. From what I'm seeing the battery usage graph looks legit. Phone seems to enter deep sleep states. Nonetheless Note seems to drain the battery a lot faster in deep sleep than my Galaxy 3 does, which is odd considering Note having 3 times larger battery capacity.

What seems odd too is extremely slow suspend/resume cycles (e.g. the time it takes for the phone to turn the screen off/show lock screen). It takes more than a second on my Note to show the lock screen. I've seen other report this too. A friend of mine shocked a salesman on a Samsung booth lately when he showed him that. Galaxy S2 is thunderfast, while Galaxy Note takes ages to resume. My Galaxy 3 takes <0.5s. I've looked into the `dmesg` output for some hints. I'm no guru in this, but `ehci` seems to be taking some time to suspend/resume. This also converges with my other observation - Galaxy Note notoriously locks up when playing with usb host. I've tried couple of keyboard/mouse on usb - some of them do work, some of them don't (I can see 'Mouse/Keyboard' connected on the statusbar but there's no mouse pointer nor keyboard input is possible; after some time it's most likely to hard lock the system).

Thus I would suspect buggy usb host/otg hardware/driver that's leading to such a poor battery performance. But hey, maybe it's just me and my theories. Nevertheless something must be broken.

CorruptedSanity

Oct 7, 2007
Abu Dhabi - United Arab Emirates
My battery is terrible.
With soe usage, mostly data, I'll drop from 100% to 60% in 3 to 4 hours.

Im on rocket rom.

Only 1 heavy gmail syncing and 3 other gmails with barely an email per week and facebook syncing.
And microsoft exchange calendar syncing (no email syncing).

No twitter.

No other apps.

But im on H+ most of the time.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

I know HSPA (H+) eats battery because I turned off my data for 2 days and battery latest me 1.5 days.

indie

Aug 22, 2006
Middlesex
My battery is terrible.
With soe usage, mostly data, I'll drop from 100% to 60% in 3 to 4 hours.

Im on rocket rom.

Only 1 heavy gmail syncing and 3 other gmails with barely an email per week and facebook syncing.
And microsoft exchange calendar syncing (no email syncing).

No twitter.

No other apps.

But im on H+ most of the time.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

I know HSPA (H+) eats battery because I turned off my data for 2 days and battery latest me 1.5 days.

I found gmail syncing kills the battery very very fast. try to disable auto sync and see if that helps

O_G

Retired Senior Moderator / Retired ET Admin
Jul 8, 2007
Moved To Q&A

All questions in the Q&A section please!​

indie

Aug 22, 2006
Middlesex
Why in the world would I do that?
Its 2012. I need/want my data pushed.

Turning off auto sync would be like me going back to 2004.

I just made a suggestion, that's all. I'm trying to help you save battery. If you want all the bells and whistles and want battery then going for the extended battery is your route. I don't think you will get much more from the standard.

sudisk

Feb 7, 2012
Paris
I have had troubles with battery life since I bought this beauty. I have been trying several Roms and Kernels, and none seem to make much difference. I also tried selecting among governors but still no better luck.

When I have 20-24hrs battery life it is very good!

The only thing that allowed me to save some was to reduce lcd intensity, and use the Note in dark environments.

Maybe I am using it more than the average user, but with all the opportunities it provides, I can hardly refrain myself from using it.

My typical use is:
- Radio and surf when going to work and home,
- Email and surf every hour at work
- About 10-20mn phone calls
- Listening to music when I can be alone working (1-2 hrs each day)
- Tablet use when at home.

Do you consider this to be a very heavy usage of the phone ?

macminer

Jun 4, 2009
Silesia
I have just had my Note for a few days. The biggest battery eater in my case is WiFi. If I switch it off, the discharge is quite acceptable (a couple of percent during the night). I am not deep into Android internals, but it seems my 5-year-old Palm TX had much better WiFi power management than my brand new Note!

BTW, I am on a stock ROM and have disabled auto-sync.

cordell507

Mar 15, 2011
nat
Have you tried wiping battery stats? Let the phone completely die then charge it without interruption until it's been on 100% for an hour then boot to CWM and wipe battery stats

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

CorruptedSanity

Oct 7, 2007
I just made a suggestion, that's all. I'm trying to help you save battery. If you want all the bells and whistles and want battery then going for the extended battery is your route. I don't think you will get much more from the standard.

I thank you.
I wasn't lashing out at you. I know you were trying to help.

It was directed to the R&D at Samsung.

Maybe I am using it more than the average user, but with all the opportunities it provides, I can hardly refrain myself from using it.

My typical use is:
- Radio and surf when going to work and home,
- Email and surf every hour at work
- About 10-20mn phone calls
- Listening to music when I can be alone working (1-2 hrs each day)
- Tablet use when at home.

Do you consider this to be a very heavy usage of the phone ?

I do not consider the battery able to cope with the features.

I'm on H+. why wont I have everything auto syncing?

Battery should support the phone features.

Rght now I'm always connected to a power source via USB or car charger or home charger.

CorruptedSanity

Oct 7, 2007
well... then stop complaining about your battery drainage...

The other guy were simply gave you a advice as to why your battery were used up so fast....

I can complain. I paid $750 for it.
The bells and whistles are there but the battery can't cope. Major flaw in battery implementation.

I already told the other guy i appreciate his help but that defeats the purpose of such an advanced and sophisticated mobile phone.

I had a SE symbian for 3 years then several HTC WM 6 mobiles, then a year of HTC Desire then an iPhone 4 for 1.5 years. I'll head towards the best regardless of brand.

Quit being a fanboy.

sudisk

Feb 7, 2012
Paris
well... then stop complaining about your battery drainage...

The other guy were simply gave you a advice as to why your battery were used up so fast....

I am not complaining about the battery drainage per-se.

My previous phone was a Nokia N900, which I used all day long for calls, mails, radio listening, ssh to my home computer, etc... and I knew well that I could not use it for more than a day without charging, sometimes even less.

The phone battery was never advertized as being able to cope with such usage, and only announced battery times for 2G/3G calls.

When I first read announcements about the N7000, I read that Samsung decided to increase the battery power to make it last 2 days, which looked nice to me.

Now I have hardly 13 hours of battery time with my usage (see my previous post) and I want to know:
- is it a normal behaviour for the phone?
- is there a way to make things better with the same hardware?
- do I really need to lower my expectations?

If the answer to the last question is yes, I will be of course disappointed but I can cope with it, as I did with my previous phones. As CorruptedSanity already mentioned, my only complains are to the Samsung techs (or advertizers) and not to any member of this forum who are usually able to help beyond my needs.

I hope that screen optimizations will come that will increase the battery life while I use the phone, but my expectations are low.

indie

Aug 22, 2006
Middlesex
You can expect around 5 hrs of screen time based on peoples reports here

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium