[Q] Can we use softkey backlight for notifications?

Search This thread

theformula

Nov 21, 2006
I see it has been done for the international version I9000, but our buttons are different. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=772672

I think it would be great if the home key backlight pulsed on notification.
Anyone know how to implement something like this?

A small led pulsing would go a long way toward saving my precious battery life, instead of periodically turning the screen on to check for new messages.

Last edited:

theformula

Nov 21, 2006
I have that installed, it just keeps the lights on longer for the softkey buttons.
What I would like to see is one of the softkeys like home pulse with the screen off when a new notification arrives, like the nexus one trackball notifications.

Anyone?

jt1134

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 8, 2010
birdman's "barebones" kernel in this very forum supports backlight notifications

I have a handful of kernels on rom manager that support bln also

please stop posting questions in the dev forums!!!

Imagiohio

Oct 18, 2009
Where would you suggest the question be posted. It's not a general question and it's not a theme/app...maybe BLN is now an accessory?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

theformula

Nov 21, 2006
Easy there snappy dev guy, it was just a question. I appreciate your input and rom since im running it, but not the attitude.

jt1134

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 8, 2010
attitude?

easy there noob with lack of search fu

development != questions

HardcorePooka

Sep 28, 2010
How about instead of posting questions that are already answered... you search. Much easier for everyone else to deal with.

s44

Sep 25, 2010
Easy there snappy dev guy, it was just a question. I appreciate your input and rom since im running it, but not the attitude.
What is this "attitude" crap? You're the one breaking the rules of the forum. Don't ***** when people point this out.

Sent from my Voodoo-powered Fascinate with XDA

Jbuch84

May 14, 2010
hop on rom manager and look under jt1334 in the downloads section..

Last edited:

theformula

Nov 21, 2006
Maybe if the search function here worked I would have found the answer to my question. I obviously dont post much so I seem to know how to be resourceful.

In this case I thought we could all benefit in getting some sort of proper notification system working on the Fascinate. The kernel mod seems to light up all the keys then go out 30 seconds later. I was wondering if it was possible to just get the "home" button to pulse like it did on my nexus one (obviously not in color).

Sorry I am not a dev, I have a life outside of android, windows mobile, and IOS, but I am definately not a noob.

Anyway its been nice chatting with all of you open minded developers working on this open platform. Mods please close this thread as it seems the developers just want to be rockstars in their own little threads, and scream "search!!!" and "noob" in all the others.

Thanks for all your help...

martian21

Sep 12, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
Don't bite the hand that feeds...

XDA is a Developers forum - not a tech support forum. There are dozens of other android forums on the Internet for that. The developers here share their work for free here and grow tired of answering the same questions over and over. The Development Forum is getting so overrun with non-development threads that it's hard to find ROM, Kernel, and App releases.

EDIT: In fact it's grown so bad that some developers aren't even releasing there work here anymore. That is why you received a "lecture".

theformula

Nov 21, 2006
I dont think I bit any hand, I said I appreciated the work jt did on the clean rom, and in fact I am using it right now. I think a lot of these guys on the forum are brilliant and I dont generally ask for help or any type of hand holding. Im a big boy with a job and I take chances, if I kill a phone so be it, thats why I have insurance and a warranty.

I just wanted to start a discussion and see if an idea of mine was feasable. I must have asked the wrong question, at the wrong time, in the wrong forum. -Sorry guys!

Man, and I thought the ios guys were douchebags, I guess douchebagginess is carrier dependent here since I never had a problem in the Nexus One forums. Go Verizon!

Last edited:

wasupwithuman

Apr 6, 2007
Flagstaff
www.leumas.net
I dont think I bit any hand, I said I appreciated the work jt did on the clean rom, and in fact I am using it right now. I think a lot of these guys on the forum are brilliant and I dont generally ask for help or any type of hand holding. Im a big boy with a job and I take chances, if I kill a phone so be it, thats why I have insurance and a warranty.

I just wanted to start a discussion and see if an idea of mine was feasable. I must have asked the wrong question, at the wrong time, in the wrong forum. -Sorry guys!

Man, and I thought the ios guys were douchebags, I guess douchebagginess is carrier dependent here since I never had a problem in the Nexus One forums. Go Verizon!

"Sorry guys" --- then you go about calling us douchbags? or did i read this wrong? There is a little X button towards the top right of the screen.... press it.

theformula

Nov 21, 2006
I didnt call you anything, but this is getting childish. Someone delete this thread please.

gardndj

Aug 1, 2008
Milwaukee
There seems to be some confusion here so allow me to answer the question and end the cat fight in one shot. There are in fact TWO different backlight mods for the Fascinate. The one you currently have is the Extended Softkey Backlights, which simply extends the amount of time your softkeys stay lit during normal operation. There is also a mod called Backlight Notifications, which does exactly what you are asking for. It is implemented in jt1134's kernels, amongst others.

As for posting location, the others are correct that this question should have been posted in general, not dev. There was just a major post from the mods specifically about this issue.

http://www.xda-developers.com/announcements/a-reminder-from-the-xda-moderator-team/

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

theformula

Nov 21, 2006
Thank you for taking the time to clear things up gardndj, will definately check out the backlight notification mod.

s44

Sep 25, 2010
Now that this is in the right place, I should note that you don't want the standalone BLN mod, which is i9000-only. You need one of jt1134's kernels with BLN built in, which are only available on ROM manager.

Sent from my Voodoo-powered Fascinate with XDA