Full root for A10x and A5xx ICS. Simple method.

Search This thread

Jesse6749

May 1, 2010
T.B.A
I'm having trouble making this work. It looks like the files get pushed properly but then it fails. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Full root for A100 ICS. Simple method.
-
-
Device connected. Preparation for executing of the main script.
mkdir failed for /data/local/tools, File exists
push: tools/su -> /data/local/tools/su
push: tools/runit.sh -> /data/local/tools/runit.sh
push: tools/mount.sh -> /data/local/tools/mount.sh
push: tools/mempodroid -> /data/local/tools/mempodroid
push: tools/getroot.sh -> /data/local/tools/getroot.sh
push: tools/delroot.sh -> /data/local/tools/delroot.sh
push: tools/busybox.sh -> /data/local/tools/busybox.sh
push: tools/busybox -> /data/local/tools/busybox
8 files pushed. 0 files skipped.
794 KB/s (839527 bytes in 1.031s)
776 KB/s (37273 bytes in 0.046s)
-
Preparation is finished.
-
Executing of the main script.
link failed File exists
mkdir failed for /system/sbin, File exists
error: device not found
The file "su" isn't created!
-
Not getting root! :(
-
Error!
-
Press any key.

Make sure you have installed the A510 usb drivers that you can download from the Acer website and then go to settings then developer tools and enable usb debugging on the tablet. Then you can run the tool as System Administrator and it should work, but you have to download the su file from the google play store after running the tool.
Good Luck!!!!!

Last edited:

burbank

Aug 17, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Make sure you have installed the A510 usb drivers that you can download from the Acer website and then go to settings then developer tools and enable usb debugging on the tablet. Then you can run the tool as System Administrator and it should work, but you have to download the su file from the google play store after running the tool.
Good Luck!!!!!

Thank you. I did everything EXCEPT running the script as System Administrator. I'll give that a try and then report back.

I'm having trouble making this work. It looks like the files get pushed properly but then it fails. Any guidance would be appreciated.

-
-
-
Preparation is finished.
-
link failed File exists
-
-
Error!
-
Press any key.

My pc gave me the same readout, but when my A510 had booted back up it had root.

NoSudo

Feb 2, 2012
Kalifornia

-
-
-
Preparation is finished.
-
link failed File exists
-
-
Error!
-
Press any key.

Well I have never used this script to root. But it looks to me like you already had /data/local/tools folder created, and you probably still had the files in place too.

mkdir failed for /data/local/tools, File exists <-- It says File exists
8 files pushed. 0 files skipped. <--- All the files get pushed to /data/local/tools without issue

link failed File exists <---- Again not familiar with the script but this probably indicates the Symbolic link it tried to create for su or busybox was still in place.
-
-
Error!

What version of ICS and what kernel version are you trying this on? This root method counts on mempodroid which counts on a specific kernel vulnerability. I suppose it's possible the kernel you have is patched for that. You can try eew245's Hard way directions HERE to try each part step by step and get a better idea of what is failing.

My guess is either mempodroid needs a different offset for an A510, or that kernel has been patched to fix exploit CVE-2012-0056, or maybe an issue with mounting /system. Do you ever get a hash prompt after pushing the files or are you stuck with a $ for a prompt in adb shell?

Last edited:

locn

Apr 19, 2010
Gold Coast
OTA after root?

Hi

Thanks to all the devs who put effort into making it simple for us simpletons...

Question.... Will this affect any OTA updates in the future?

Cheers

ertrax

Aug 13, 2008
Rome
Hi , rooting process remains in "Wait for connect device...." and no root :( , the my PC detects it properly A100 ( ICS version 4.0.3). A100 in Debug Mode "ON".

jschall

Dec 30, 2009
Mont Saint-Hilaire, Québec
I just got the official OTA upgrade from unrooted 3.2.1 to 4.0.3. (Acer_AV041_A100_1.014.00_WW_GEN1)

Has anyone tried to apply the ZeroNull rooting procedure to this new OS?

Are there any old folders or files or apps that have to be removed first?

Last edited:

marlopainter

Sep 13, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
www.bakedpickle.com
mempodroid isn't created error on a510

If you are like me, you are getting the error:

"mempodroid isn't created"

I found a solution. I'm not sure if this is anywhere else,
but I will post it here.

I am using Win7 64bit, Iconia a510

I installed Superuser BEFORE I did these steps.

I opened runit-win.bat in a text editor and found the step
sending me to the error and simply deleted it.

I deleted lines 19 -21:
Code:
adb pull /data/local/tools/mempodroid
if not exist mempodroid goto ermem
del mempodroid >nul

I "saved as" and just added a "2" to the filename: runit-win2.bat
I ran it again, got the reboot, got root

Have fun.

jschall

Dec 30, 2009
This is what I get when I run "runinit-win.bat" on Windows 7 32-bit, with the A100 connected (I can see all the A100 folders in Windows Explorer):

-
-
Wait for connect device...

And that's all. The batch file doesn't detect the connected A100.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there an updated version of the script?

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

OK, then I installed the USB Driver from Acer Support.

When I re-ran runinit-win.bat, the script appeared to run, then the A100 rebooted.

Now, what should I do? Is it rooted or not? How can I tell?

I think the instructions should be improved. I am not a newbie, and I have rooted Honeycomb before. If it works, this method would be great. But how do I know if it worked?

illego

Aug 12, 2010
This is what I get when I run "runinit-win.bat" on Windows 7 32-bit, with the A100 connected (I can see all the A100 folders in Windows Explorer):

-
-
Wait for connect device...

And that's all. The batch file doesn't detect the connected A100.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there an updated version of the script?

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

OK, then I installed the USB Driver from Acer Support.

When I re-ran runinit-win.bat, the script appeared to run, then the A100 rebooted.

Now, what should I do? Is it rooted or not? How can I tell?

I think the instructions should be improved. I am not a newbie, and I have rooted Honeycomb before. If it works, this method would be great. But how do I know if it worked?

Is USB debugging on?

Make sure you have all the acer drivers for the a100 installed. adb is not seeing the tablet.

jschall

Dec 30, 2009

NoSudo

Feb 2, 2012
Kalifornia

adb = android debug bridge it's the app that gives you a shell on the tablet from your PC/workstation.

You can root the OTA version as far I have read. Until they patch the kernel for CVE-2012-0056. This root method which is relying on mempodroid will work. All hail Saurik!:D

Last edited:

NoSudo

Feb 2, 2012
Kalifornia
SuperUser was already installed.

What is "update binary"?

the "binary" he refered to is su. Programs that are compiled are often called binaries, he could also have said app or executable. It just means the format of the data is in Base(2), when you convert to hex you get base(16) = hexadecimal.

If you have never read up on what Binary, Hex are it's worth a few hours of reading. It can greatly expand your understanding of computers and how they function. It will teach you what a bit, nibble, byte etc are also.;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_numeral_system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_16

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Original article is published on this site and created by ZeroNull and vdsirotkin (4pda.ru).

How to:
    1. The tablet should be already upgraded to stock ICS for A100/A101 (or stock ICS A500/A501/A510 for other tablets).
    2. Download this archive on the computer. Unpack it to any place.
    3, On a tablet: "Settings" -> "Applications" -> "Development" -> "USB debugging" switch on.
    4. Сonnect the tablet to the computer (Before connection it is recommended to update the driver for a tablet from here: A10x, A50x, A510).
    5. Open the directory with the unpacked archive. Execute file: for windows - runit-win.bat; for Linux - runit-linux.sh.
    The root is received!
    6. Now you will have to install the following programs:
    SuperUser APK
    Titanium Backup
    At first it is necessary to start the Superuser program, at least 1 time after receiving root. And only then programs that require root access.

ATTENTION!
    Don't install Busybox! It is already installed and established! If you reinstall it, some programs will become unable to access root permissions!

Change:
    The error of final check of receiving root is corrected (The messaging that "root" isn't received, though it was not so)
    Support of A510 of tablets is improved

This method uses the 'mempodroid' exploit and some workings out by ZeroNull and vdsirotkin (4pda.ru).

List of rooting versions:
    New - ICS_rooting_A10x_A5xx.zip
    Old - ICS_rooting.zip

PS: I understand English rather badly, but I'll try to help, if it is necessary. :)
    PS2: Command "Mount ro/rw" for directory /system (partition) - works perfectly!
    PS3: This method does not work on the A511 tablets
    This also works on the new Acer Iconia A510!!!!!

Original article is published on this site and created by ZeroNull and vdsirotkin (4pda.ru).
    How to:
    1. The tablet should be already upgraded to ICS for A100.
    2. Download this archive on the computer. Unpack it to any place.
    3, On a tablet: "Settings" -> "Applications" -> "Development" -> "USB debugging" switch on.
    4. Сonnect the tablet to the computer.
    5. Open the directory with the unpacked archive. Execute file: for windows - runit-win.bat; for Linux - runit-linux.sh.
    The root is received!
    6. Now you will have to install the following programms:
    SuperUser APK
    Titanium Backup

ATTENTION!
    Don't install Busybox! It is already installed and established! If you reinstall it, some programs will become unable to access root permissions!

This method uses the 'mempodroid' exploit and some workings out by ZeroNull and vdsirotkin (4pda.ru).

PS: I understand English rather badly, but I'll try to help, if it is necessary. :)
    PS2: Command "Mount ro/rw" for directory /system (partition) - works perfectly!

Just so everyone knows, this root kit also works on the new Iconia A510.
    I just got my Acer Iconia A510 from Amazon this morning and decided to install the USB drivers and tried this rooting kit and low and behold I got full root access. :D:D:D:p:p:p

Thanks ZeroNull!!!!
    Always please!

Not at all :D
    I was afraid that something was translated incorrectly. But now everything is all right! :)
    We do have recoveries, CWM and TWRP, not sure what you are offering? Unless you mean a way to install them without unlocking, which is fine, but we lose use of recovery entirely that way. Or I'm just not understanding, in which case I apologize, I'm not trying to shoot you down or anything.

Tapatalked from my Galaxy S II.

Ah, right, that's what I was offering, sorry. No need for that then :)
    is this a permanent root? or temporary? it give r/w permission on system folder?
    Permanent :)