How to Root Galaxy S3 Video Tutorial for NOOBS on Windows/Linux/Mac!

Search This thread

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
Here's video tutorial on how to root your Galaxy S3 for all Windows, Mac and Linux for noooooooooobs:

How to Root Galaxy S3 using Windows:
http://galaxys3root.com/galaxy-s3-root/how-to-root-galaxy-s3/

Rooting Files for Windows

Samsung Kies

Step by Step Guide with Photos for Windows

How to Root Galaxy S3 using Mac OSX:

Rooting Files for Mac OSX

Step by Step Guide with Photos for Mac OSX

How to Root Galaxy S3 using Linux/Ubuntu:

Rooting Files for Linux/Ubuntu

Step by Step Guide with Photos for Linux/Ubuntu

All credits go to XDA user Chainfire for the Recovery image!

Last edited:

cashyftw

Sep 11, 2010
Dude I watch all your videos!!! Your amazing! HighOnAndroid (;

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Lantek23

May 3, 2011
Orlando, Fl.
Max are you going to get a US version?

Sent from T-Mobile's galaxy S 4g for a minute until the SIII is released in the United States

Lpuboy87

Jun 12, 2012
NYC
Noob approved

Thanx for the great video showing how to root!! I just came over to the android community this week when I picked up the S3. This is all new to me coming from the Iphone and jailbreaking :D bookmarked your S3 page too

Last edited:
Reactions: zedomax

adamhassel

Oct 10, 2011
Any chance of a version for 64bit Ubuntu?

EDIT: running the 32bit version on 64bit Linux, heimdall segfaults: heimdall[5591]: segfault at 10 ip 00000000f749f2cf sp 00000000ffb42d6c error 4 in libc-2.13.so[f745a000+174000]

Yes, I have the 32 bit USB and libc installed.

Last edited:

rutgerhoorn

Oct 21, 2010
Does anyone knows what's going on here?
I tried to copy paste the kext fix from zedomax's site in terminal, but it gives this error:

MacBook-van-Rutger-Hoorn:~ rutgerhoorn$ sudo kextunload -b com.devguru.driver.SamsungComposite
(kernel) Can’t unload kext com.devguru.driver.SamsungComposite; classes have instances:
(kernel) Kext com.devguru.driver.SamsungComposite class SamsungComposite has 1 instance.
Failed to unload com.devguru.driver.SamsungComposite – (libkern/kext) kext is in use or retained (cannot unload).
MacBook-van-Rutger-Hoorn:~ rutgerhoorn$

listeruk

Feb 26, 2010
Belfast
Can anyone tell me the steps to undo this? My phone developed a hardware fault (headphone socket doesn't work) and needs to go back to Samsung.

A nice man in the Vodafone says I have to get it back to stock (reroot and su off?) otherwise the won't fix it.

rutgerhoorn

Oct 21, 2010
Does anyone knows what's going on here?
I tried to copy paste the kext fix from zedomax's site in terminal, but it gives this error:

MacBook-van-Rutger-Hoorn:~ rutgerhoorn$ sudo kextunload -b com.devguru.driver.SamsungComposite
(kernel) Can’t unload kext com.devguru.driver.SamsungComposite; classes have instances:
(kernel) Kext com.devguru.driver.SamsungComposite class SamsungComposite has 1 instance.
Failed to unload com.devguru.driver.SamsungComposite – (libkern/kext) kext is in use or retained (cannot unload).
MacBook-van-Rutger-Hoorn:~ rutgerhoorn$
Bla bla....
I fixed it using my wife's macbook.
So now i have root!!

Reactions: Sudsi

sonarchist

Mar 27, 2011
Washington, DC
........just to clarify, for those concerned: posting a THNX on this thread does not irreparably quantify you NOOB status 4-eva...........as the saying goes, NOOB is as NOOB does. :D :D :D

sent from today's Android 4.0.4

MrKunle89

Jun 7, 2012
London
Okay this is weird back up not working

Okay I've fully rooted the phone thanks to this awesome video however when I try make a backup from recovery mode the backup/restore option is not there instead I only get :reboot system now, apply update from external storage, wipe data/factory reset wipe cache partition and apply update from cache. (Another note I do not see the ClockWorkMod Recovery 5.5.0.4 - v1.4 when in recovery mode at the top of the screen as I should instead I see android system recovery <3e>)

If anyone has any solutions or need more information I'll be happy to provide them

M@31

Sep 22, 2011
Daegu
I only hope it is this easy to root my Korean SGS III once it is released.
In the past, the Korean versions have been neglected......

Grizzly3124

May 31, 2010
Milano
Okay I've fully rooted the phone thanks to this awesome video however when I try make a backup from recovery mode the backup/restore option is not there instead I only get :reboot system now, apply update from external storage, wipe data/factory reset wipe cache partition and apply update from cache. (Another note I do not see the ClockWorkMod Recovery 5.5.0.4 - v1.4 when in recovery mode at the top of the screen as I should instead I see android system recovery <3e>)

If anyone has any solutions or need more information I'll be happy to provide them

I get the same problem, would be nice to know whats going on :confused:

SpudULike

May 1, 2010
I get the same problem, would be nice to know whats going on :confused:

Me too, when I hit Vol Down, Home, and Power I get a "Android System recovery (3e)" headed screen with no option to install from SDCard.

I've done step 6 of http://galaxys3root.com/galaxy-s3-root/how-to-root-galaxy-s3-on-linuxubuntu/ but I can't do step 7.

What do I do now?

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

Thank you for the guide.

I think the text is wrong for Step 1 of http://galaxys3root.com/galaxy-s3-root/how-to-root-galaxy-s3-on-linuxubuntu/, where you say "Step 1. Put your phone into download mode by holding down Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power button together for about 10 seconds.". This just kept restarting the phone. The video shows you doing VolDown, Home, and Power, which did allow me to go onto the next stage.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts