Speech to text

Search This thread

Renocat

Mar 15, 2010
A friend with a moto droid running 2.1 has speech to text capabilities in any application. His keyboard has a microphone button on it.

I have read that the Eris 2.1 has this functionality too. I cannot find where to activate it if it does indeed have this.

And to be clear, i am not talking about text to speech, where the phone reads to you, I am talking about for instance, having google talk open and speaking your message and the phone converts it to text.

Anyone know if this is in 2.1? (I am rooted and running grdlocks 2.1 rom, btw)

d1g1talz0mb13

Apr 2, 2009
Philadelphia
I was just talking about this to someone on another forum. As far as I've been able to find, Handcent has this capability and maybe a few other apps from the store. What I think we really need is the keyboard from either the Nexus One or the Droid to be ported over then we can see if it will work.

jadesdan

Jun 26, 2008
There's an app called "Better Keyboard" that does speach to text in any text field. I liked to show it off, but it seemed a little too slow for contstant use.

Renocat

Mar 15, 2010
i have better keyboard and I don't see where it does speech to text. maybe I missed something? I checked all the settings too

gohamstergo

Mar 6, 2010
There's an app called "Better Keyboard" that does speach to text in any text field. I liked to show it off, but it seemed a little too slow for contstant use.

perhaps you mean "TalktoMe Keyboard"

as for me, ill be waiting/wishing/hoping for swype to release a new beta with a mic button included :D

Renocat

Mar 15, 2010
i grabbed talktome keyboard. Doesn't seem bad. Will tide my over until the speech to text comes out in the official 2.1, hopefully