AT&T vs Sprint for Note 2

Search This thread

noitall77

Jan 14, 2012
I am looking to purchase the Note 2 and I have the option of Sprint or AT&T, is there any real benefit of one carrier vs the other for this particular phone?

scottypeterson

Sep 18, 2011
I am looking to purchase the Note 2 and I have the option of Sprint or AT&T, is there any real benefit of one carrier vs the other for this particular phone?

Im pretty sure the phones are the exact same but with at&t your service may be better depending on your location. Sprint is behind on 4g and 4g lte coverage. Sprint has unlimited data and I don't think at&t offers that. So if I were you I would ask friends that live in your area to get their opinions or even google search and see if you can find any forums that tell about at&t coverage in your area. Hope I helped some!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: noitall77

budde2

May 15, 2012
Tampa

They are the same I woukd go with sprint they are way cheaper and with a phone of this caliber you need unlimited. They are launching LTE pretty fast I got a great lte connection in Tampa Florida pretty much everywhere i go it suoer fast and consistent.

TirithXiato

Mar 18, 2012
Sprint also supposedly claims they want lte running anywhere 3g is eventually.... getting it everywhere I go anymore

~swyped from my galaxy note 2 on the now network

DarkManX4lf

May 11, 2007
NYC
Im pretty sure the phones are the exact same but with at&t your service may be better depending on your location. Sprint is behind on 4g and 4g lte coverage. Sprint has unlimited data and I don't think at&t offers that. So if I were you I would ask friends that live in your area to get their opinions or even google search and see if you can find any forums that tell about at&t coverage in your area. Hope I helped some!

Pretty much this.

Reactions: noitall77

00mred00

Aug 11, 2010
Princeton Tx
I have an unlimited data plan with AT&T that I have had for years so it looks like I will stick with AT&T due to coverage

Coverage is exactly what you should look at.

We have an att note 2 and a sprint note 2....equally fantastic. Coverage in my area is pretty much the same here, the wife just wants to stick with att since she has had them so long.

If one didnt have unlimited on att ...I would def look towards sprint

Is att still throttling after 5gb of use? Thats a huge factor on why I gave up my line

swalter718

Jan 21, 2013
Since AT&T throttles all unlimited data plans (except those that were grandfathered in) past 5gb/mo. But Sprint doesn't yet have the extensive LTE coverage that AT&T does. If you live in an area where Sprint has rolled out its 4G LTE network, or predominantly use Wifi, I'd suggest Sprint. On the other hand, if Sprint only has 3G in your home zone and you can't rely on wifi consistently when you need the higher speeds, AT&T may be the way to go. I've been with Sprint for nearly 15 years and don't mind waiting for their LTE network. (tho I certainly hope for sooner rather than later) For me, the bandwidth throttling on downloads over the 5GB/mo is a deal breaker. I typically use 25+GB/mo on my phone and Sprint never throttles by bandwidth.

* I'm Rick James, *****! *

Reactions: budde2
I can confirm no throttling by Sprint. Since getting the GN2, I''m using over 50GB of data per month. It's up from the 25GB or more when I had the Evo 4G and used 3G almost exclusive; I had access to WiMax if I went to certain towns. I live in area LTE, but it's not everywhere, so I bounce between both all the time.

The other big difference, Sprint is CDMA and has the simcard built in. ATT is GMA, which is used world wide. ATT may not have the simcard build in, and thus world travel friendly. Something to consider if you plan on traveling.

Beyond that, I would just look at your data usages, carrier coverage, and reliability.

Lastly, you do realize we're going to be bias to Sprint.

thegregbradley

Aug 20, 2010
I can confirm no throttling by Sprint. Since getting the GN2, I''m using over 50GB of data per month. It's up from the 25GB or more when I had the Evo 4G and used 3G almost exclusive; I had access to WiMax if I went to certain towns. I live in area LTE, but it's not everywhere, so I bounce between both all the time.

The other big difference, Sprint is CDMA and has the simcard built in. ATT is GMA, which is used world wide. ATT may not have the simcard build in, and thus world travel friendly. Something to consider if you plan on traveling.

Beyond that, I would just look at your data usages, carrier coverage, and reliability.

Lastly, you do realize we're going to be bias to Sprint.

A slight correction here, the Sprint GN2 can be used "worldwide," but only in certain areas I believe. And you'll be paying out the ass for the service, as you cannot put a cheapy sim in there, you have to pay for Sprint's world service. Sucks :(

So yes if travel is something that you need to do with your GN2, ATT may be the better carrier. But you'll probably save a good $30 a month with Sprint, which is more than enough to cover a cheap burner phone purchase for when you're traveling. Keep the note on ya for wifi connectivity, use the burner for phone calls, save money :)

the above is correct that the phone as some kind of GSM radio in it. And that you pay a mighty fee to use it too. I wasn't thinking about that when I wrote my post. I know a lot people prefer to just sim card swap and be able to use the local, and cheap, service. Also, GSM is used workd wide. Whereas, CDMA is not. Some carriers in the USA used. There are a couple others carriers outside the USA, but they're far and few.

mmaccon

Apr 9, 2011
Clemson
If you can hold out for Sprint LTE to get some decent nationwide coverage, go with Sprint. Unlimited data is CRUCIAL. 3G is manageable for now.

yankees45us

May 5, 2008
I would check with speedtest on an att and Sprint phone. Also check Sprint 4g lte coverage in your area. If they have it or are on list to get it then choose Sprint. Sprint keeps improving every week. But if it looks like Sprint won't be good for a while in your area and att is already good and you don't mind higher prices and tiered data then choose att.

Sent from my Amazing Galaxy Note 2!

islandjat

Aug 21, 2012
If you have unlimited At&T right now then by all means don't switch to sprint. My friend has a grandfathered at&t plan and im really jealous. Everywhere in texas that I actually have lte his speed test beats mine 15 mbs or more. His has 4g lte EVERYWHERE. I can't speak on behalf of the entire United States but as for Texas, you should go with at&t if you have unlimited.

TirithXiato

Mar 18, 2012
As I'm unsure where you are located, I'm sure this won't help you, but here is a Sprint lte speed test. At my house, just south of Baltimore.

uha7yhe6.jpg

~swyped from my galaxy note 2 on the now network

anishannayya

Dec 1, 2010
What's the coverage like in your area? How much data do you use? How much are you willing to pay?

If you do have "unlimited" grandfathered data, it is still throttled after a couple gigs, meaning you'd likely be better off with Sprint if they have the coverage.

Regarding price, Sprint is usually cheaper for family plans, but not necessarily for individuals.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Pretty much this.

I have an unlimited data plan with AT&T that I have had for years so it looks like I will stick with AT&T due to coverage
    Since AT&T throttles all unlimited data plans (except those that were grandfathered in) past 5gb/mo. But Sprint doesn't yet have the extensive LTE coverage that AT&T does. If you live in an area where Sprint has rolled out its 4G LTE network, or predominantly use Wifi, I'd suggest Sprint. On the other hand, if Sprint only has 3G in your home zone and you can't rely on wifi consistently when you need the higher speeds, AT&T may be the way to go. I've been with Sprint for nearly 15 years and don't mind waiting for their LTE network. (tho I certainly hope for sooner rather than later) For me, the bandwidth throttling on downloads over the 5GB/mo is a deal breaker. I typically use 25+GB/mo on my phone and Sprint never throttles by bandwidth.

* I'm Rick James, *****! *