UK - HTC One M8 from Three - Flashing vanilla stock

Search This thread

pheonixsingh

Jul 29, 2012
Hi guys,

Long time iPhone user converted to android with the new HTC One M8.

I have recently purchased the HTC One M8 from my local Three store. Now the phone has a three splash screen and limited bloatware.

I understand that updates to android can be delayed as they are pushed via three.

What would be the general procedure to flash/update the phone to:

1. Remove three splash screen and associated bloatware to keep it as if it was bought simfree.
2. Would the current custom roms available achieve the above and be compatible with UK handset?

dazbutler1

Jun 14, 2010
boosbeck
Hi guys,

Long time iPhone user converted to android with the new HTC One M8.

I have recently purchased the HTC One M8 from my local Three store. Now the phone has a three splash screen and limited bloatware.

I understand that updates to android can be delayed as they are pushed via three.

What would be the general procedure to flash/update the phone to:

1. Remove three splash screen and associated bloatware to keep it as if it was bought simfree.
2. Would the current custom roms available achieve the above and be compatible with UK handset?

Hi,

i'm also on three, should receive mine on monday so I can't confirm for certain. But if my memory serves me correctly, the cid and mid must match the stock rom that you are trying to flash. So at this time you won't be able to flash the newest unbranded stock firmware. This will require s-off. However i can highly recommend unlocking through htcdev and flashing a custom rom. Android revolution hd is an excellent choice for your htc device and will be fine on your handset.

waqsuk

Nov 13, 2010
Hi pheonixsingh, I also have a HTC One M8 from three. I can confirm that flashing a custom ROM will remove the three splash, remove three applications and shortcuts, the phone is fully compatible.

I'd recommend you flash without delay!!!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

pheonixsingh

Jul 29, 2012
Thanks for the prompt replies!

I think I will go down the route of flashing the custom rom, however I still have some questions about future updates to the custom rom, how would I go about updating my phone?

My biggest concern is everytime I have to update I may lose my data or personal setup as I will have to wipe the phone and install the new version? Is this the case or am I misunderstood and updates can be done via PC/OTA whereby all your personal apps/settings/data is intact?

waqsuk

Nov 13, 2010
When updating ROMs, on most occasions you can retain your application data by not formatting the user/data partitions. However when the changes are significant the author may recommend a full wipe.

The first time you root and install a custom ROM, you will lose all data on your internal sd card so back everything up on your PC or external SD card.

After you unlock (S-OFF) your phone for the first time you will never be asked to format your sdcard, which contains camera pics or any other files you've placed. You'll only lose applications which you can download from the play store again. For me it's never been an issue when I owned a Nexus 4 and 5 I used to hop between ROMs daily.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

nintendolinky

May 7, 2009
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
The custom firmwares are all well and good, however when a new base comes along, which happened often on the One (M7), carrier phones i.e. 3, would sometimes need to wait for them to issue the official update, as the base firmware is different on the WWE rom. Hopefully we will have S-OFF soon and then that won't be an issue for a lot of us.