Has anyone tried Nexus 4 before note2?

Search This thread

woostar88

Jul 15, 2006
Philly
I'm debating rather if I should sell my note 2 to get the nexus 4.

I really like the battery life on the note 2. But I'm tryna figure out if it's worth to switch. Sorry if I have made a double post.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Nexus 4 gets the Android updates quicker. And Nexus 4 has a vanilla Android experience. Which you will end up changing with a rom or at least a home launcher. So why worry about the vanilla stock experience when you going to change it anyway?

Outside of that the Galaxy Note 2 is better in every way.
Galaxy Note 2 has that is either better than Nexus 4 or what Nexus 4 doesn't have:
Oled screen
Larger screen
Larger battery capacity
Easy removal battery
LTE (when and where available)
Ability to add a SD-Card
MultiWindow
S Pen
Smart Gestures
And so much more.....

Just doesn't make sense going from Galaxy Note 2 to Nexus 4.

Maybe trading up a Galaxy Note 2 for Galaxy S4, when it comes out, or Galaxy Note 3, when it comes out, makes sense. But Nexus 4 is a downgrade coming from Galaxy Note 2.

What is so appealing about Nexus 4 that you don't get from Galaxy Note 2?

Summary of Devices

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (SGH-T889)
Android Version: 4.1.1 Jelly Bean
Build: JRO03C.T889UVALL4 (Rooted)
Root Method: mrRobinson injected root stock rom
Superuser: SuperSu Pro v1.0
Busybox: Busybox v1.20.2

Device: Motorola DROID X
Android Version: 2.3.3 Gingerbread
Build: 4.5.605.Accurate_Battery (Rooted)

Last edited:
Reactions: thompsos

JUSMEJOSE

Jul 29, 2008
Anaheim, CA
I had the nexus 4 .. And to tell you the truth I didn't like it at all... the speaker and camera is horrible ... so I sold it 3 days after I got it ... and got me the gn2 ... lovin it since day 1 ...

Sent from my SGH-T889 using XDA Premium HD app

rebel4g

Oct 3, 2012
Who would want a nexus 4 over a note 2' loser

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

db4d1988

Nov 21, 2012
It really depends on how and what you use your phone for. The Note II is aimed more towards power, business, and entertainment users were as the Nexus is more your traditional smartphone, used for calls, text, pictures, and apps. It's all about what you do and make your judgement off that. Let us know what you decide to do.

Note_2

Nov 19, 2012
I was in the same situation as you, but figured that when the s4 comes out, someone would be willing to trade for the note 2 plus a bit of cash.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

cobraboy85

Aug 25, 2011
It really depends on how and what you use your phone for. The Note II is aimed more towards power, business, and entertainment users were as the Nexus is more your traditional smartphone, used for calls, text, pictures, and apps. It's all about what you do and make your judgement off that. Let us know what you decide to do.

That is a completely absurd comparison. LOL...

like bro... get the n4 because if you don't you won't be able to use calls texts pictures and "apps"

Note 2 has more cool features, is what this gentleman was trying to get at... difference is with the note II you have the option to use them.

Two people I know personally have gone from the nexus 4 to the note II and say it is worlds better.

Nexus 4 has a sightly more powerful CPU and GPU... but that's about it. And I will add that there is nothing the n4 can handle (performance-wise) that the note II cannot.

Stick with the note, is my humble yet logical opinion.

Edit*** and hope you have no need for expandable storage. Because you can kiss your micro SD card goodbye once you get a nexus 4. Google is pushing this cloud crap a bit too early IMO. Don't know why.

mrbkkt1

Nov 12, 2007
Mililani
www.lostpowercity.net
I have both, got the n4 before the note.
I do desperately miss the wireless charging, but that's about it. Screen is better on the n4, especially in direct sunlight, but everything else aside, I prefer the note, but the n4 hit the size sweet spot. If only the battery was better, and the back want so fragile.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

gedster314

Sep 7, 2007
Oxnard, Ca
I had the Note2, bought the Nexus4 and sold the Nexus4. I did not like the display on the n4, too yellow form me. I thought battery life sucked on the N4 until I put Cyanogenmod on it. I thought phone sound quality on the N4 was bad and people complained about the background noise in noisy environments. I really don't see the big deal about the updates, CM turns them out pretty quick. The Samsung leaked firmware comes out regularly, I don't see a huge difference between 4.1.2 and 4.2.2, nothing that gets me excited anyway. I don't even like the Google launcher, I always end up using Apex launcher.

For $350, the Nexus 4 is a great phone, but compared to an Iphone5, Note2 and S4...sorry, it's not there. It did open my eyes to LG and I think they will have a really great phone this year or next, they are finally catching on.

funziebear

Mar 28, 2011
cali
I traded two nexus fours for two note 2s and I'm not looking back I used the nexus for about two weeks and Decided it wasn't for me, for the price the n4 is a very nice device but like everyone else said you wont miss anything leaving a nexus 4 behhind

Sent from my SGH-T889 using XDA Premium HD app

inconceeeivable

Dec 11, 2010
I'm considering trading my Note 2 for a Nexus as well.

The wireless charging, vanilla Android, and working Wallet are very appealing. The updates just take too long on non-Nexus devices...I really want lock screen widgets lol.

I will miss the battery life though.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium

It did open my eyes to LG and I think they will have a really great phone this year or next, they are finally catching on.

I agree. LG is learning fast. They are a company to keep an eye on with Android.

Summary of Devices

deviusdragger

Aug 5, 2006
California
Got them both, i use the N4 as my daily and note 2 for when i go on a road trip or need to watch movies or something or im going to be away from a charger from a long time.

So what is so appealing about Nexus 4 that you use it as your daily device instead of Galaxy Note 2?
This is what the OP wants to know.

Summary of Devices

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
So what is so appealing about Nexus 4 that you use it as your daily device instead of Galaxy Note 2?
This is what the OP wants to know.

Summary of Devices

Nexus 4 is a good phone. But battery life, audio, camera and screen don't touch the Note. I love AOSP, and I loved my N4. But the Note 2 is a better device. The one thing I miss is wireless charging. It'll be the standard on all Android devices within a year though. Like I already said, stick with the Note.

AznDud333

Nov 24, 2011
my friend has a nexus 4...i showed great interest in it and my opinion is that

Pros:

faster gpu
faster cpu
$350 out right vs $600
brighter screeng
glass back cover looks amazing and shiny

cons:

ips screen, does not have as high contrast as the amoled, undersaturated with no way to increase saturation
rubberized bezel is not really my thing
glass backcover breaks really easy, my friends was already scratched within 2 weeks(somehow)

battery life does not even touch n2, ive seen max 3hours and 30min(screen on) on the nexus 4 with sync turned off(running stock) while i can get around 6 without changing anything on my note 2, that's a deal breaker for me

id say it isnt worth the switch...although i probably wouldve bought a N4 if google had stock when i was deciding between the two

PhxDroid86

Jan 14, 2013
Phoenix
Ill be experiencing both by 2/20... just bought 3 Nexus 4s and its gonna be awesome!! :D

Although often overlooked these days, and personally coming to GSM from CDMA for the first time, just having a SIM is so awesome, and phone swapping will be done religiously on my part...

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note 2 is the best....

I didn't say you were an idiot. I said don't be one. And fair enough with your response. I see your point. But still don't understand it. If you take the time to give useful information you should at least put some effort into it ya know??

And "I'm not your bro buddayyy!!"

And nobody asked for a book report. But also probably wasn't expecting a vague reply either.

I hear ya and agree with your posts as well. We just think differently and don't see eye to eye which is fine. I'm all about qualifying the person based on their needs and finding the product that meets them. Here's some info below.

Note II

I said it was more aimed towards power, business, and entertainment users, vague yes, but its not that difficult.

The Screen: Perfect for all those business and entertainment users who love watching Netflix, edit documents/ pictures, surf, and multitask... . but for the average user who doesn't do to much of that is it a waste? Probably. My co-worker thinks so and guess what he's getting.. yep a Nexus. He hates the large screen. He find's it annoying and is worried about privacy.

Device size: "is that a note 2 in your pocket or are you happy to see me"... yeah its big. Maybe too big to the average user who just wants a normal phone to talk, text, and mess with apps and games. Some people just want a fast normal size phone.

Software features: Do we really need all these cool features? I don't use half, but they'll cool to have and to brag about! pop up browser, notes, air view, smart stay, etc.. Apple is going down. :D

Battery Life: This might be the best part of this phone (for me). Take it off the charge at 8 a.m. still have 50% at 8 p.m. Now thats sweet.

Storage: Yes! I have 16gb of local storage, 64 on my micro sd card, 50 on my box account, and another 75 on drop box... How much do we really need?

Nexus

"the Nexus is more your traditional smartphone, used for calls, text, pictures, and apps."

Screen: Bigger than most traditional smartphones, but easier to handle and carry around. Yep. This will appeal to most Traditional smartphone users. Think Apple, haven't they sold a few phones over the past few years?

Device Size: Pocket friendly. Do I say more?

Software features: What can I say, pure Android. A lot of ppl love it.. but most have no idea what that means. Updates faster, smoother, and none of the bloat our carriers love to put on it.

Battery: Honestly no idea, but i'm sure its good with a 2100 mAH battery in it. My friend never complains.

Storage: Trust me, some people dont care. They have a reason to buy the phone they want. Brand loyalty, stock jelly bean, or maybe because it fits their needs and doesn't include stuff they won't ever use.

This is only my opinion to help the OP's question. It's all about your needs and wants. Judge it off that and do whats right for you.

One last thing. I never said this. "then turning around and saying one is not geared for media when it has the fastest quad core processor and GPU packed into any available mobile handset at the moment.""

Sources:

Personal experience and job.

http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-LGE960

http://www.samsung.com/us/the-next-big-thing-galaxy-note-ii/?cid=ppc-
    Nexus 4 gets the Android updates quicker. And Nexus 4 has a vanilla Android experience. Which you will end up changing with a rom or at least a home launcher. So why worry about the vanilla stock experience when you going to change it anyway?

Outside of that the Galaxy Note 2 is better in every way.
    Galaxy Note 2 has that is either better than Nexus 4 or what Nexus 4 doesn't have:
    Oled screen
    Larger screen
    Larger battery capacity
    Easy removal battery
    LTE (when and where available)
    Ability to add a SD-Card
    MultiWindow
    S Pen
    Smart Gestures
    And so much more.....

Just doesn't make sense going from Galaxy Note 2 to Nexus 4.

Maybe trading up a Galaxy Note 2 for Galaxy S4, when it comes out, or Galaxy Note 3, when it comes out, makes sense. But Nexus 4 is a downgrade coming from Galaxy Note 2.

What is so appealing about Nexus 4 that you don't get from Galaxy Note 2?

Summary of Devices