Nook Tablet Handbrake Preset (All credit goes to Iron_C)

Search This thread

Cozila

Nov 20, 2011
NOTE: I did not find these settings myself, I am merely putting the presets up if anyone else would like to use them. iron_c found them for me in another thread I had. The attached file is a .plist file so just change the extension.

EDIT

And so all the info is at the top people have been asking how to use this file. The newer versions of handbrake www.handbrake.fr have the ability to import settings. It's on the bottom right of the main screen under the list of presets.

Attachments

• NookTablet.txt
    3.7 KB · Views: 3,182
Last edited:

tonyp22

Nov 20, 2011
For those (like me :)) who are unfamiliar with this, what can we do with this file?

dang69

Jan 16, 2007
You should be able to use it with a program called Handbrake to convert video to the best format for NT. I have done this with manual settings but I hope that this works better. My results were less than stunning.

Now to figure out how to integrate this to the program...

---------- Post added at 03:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 AM ----------

By gum there's a button right in Handbrake that imports setting! I'll check out the quality compared to the manual one's I used from an Itab page.

---------- Post added at 03:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 AM ----------

I couldn't see much difference but the file was about 20% smaller which I guess is good.

I'd appreciate it if some video guru would chime in about these settings. Thanks for the find.

Cozila

Nov 20, 2011
Well as I said iron_c is the one who found the settings himself, I was just looking for settings that would let me maximize the amount of video I could bring with me on trips. I'm thinking a good portion of the space savings is due to the sound being set to stereo rather than dolby 5.1.

To give an idea of some of the savings I have been seeing I did a reencode of Super 8 (originally 16 gigs 1080p Dolby 5.1). The new file is now 695 megs. I'm wondering if these settings might also do well on the nook color as I was using that before and some shows that were reencoded down to 500 megs are now 300 megs.

e.mote

Feb 16, 2011
As said elsewhere, the 4430 has decoding capability equal to that of a netbook. For 720p content (and even some 1080p), you don't need to recode the video. You would only recode to get a smaller size.

The enclosed HB setting above has a number of deficiencies. vbv-bufsize and vbv-maxrate shouldn't be set, as they degrade quality. These are for older devices that can't handle bitrate spikes. Decomb/deinterlaced shouldn't be set, as downloaded videos don't need these settings, and they significantly slow down conversion (HB is not a fast converter to start with).

There are other settings that should or shouldn't be set, but I don't want to get into the nitty-gritty of x264 settings. In short, just use the default settings for MP4 for a regular PC, adjust the resolution to your liking (1024 width or less), and you will have an optimal encode, above and beyond these "custom" settings you find on the net. HB's defaults were chosen for a reason.

Handbrake isn't suitable if you simply want to change to MP4 format (ie no video processing), because it always converts the video. For that, check out the VidsOpt package below, which I wrote. It will also do video conversion if desired, and be faster and simpler to use than HB. Or your money back.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1102922

OMGitsShan

Nov 25, 2011
Seoul
I was hoping never having to use Handbrake for my 720p/1080p mkv files like i had to for my iPad but with the 2GB limitation on video files for the Nook Tablet looks like Handbrake will be my only choice. I wonder if there is a way to remove the 2Gb limit per file? Sucks to be re-encoding 720p/1080p content when there really isn't a need.

e.mote

Feb 16, 2011
There are several ways:

. Use a 3rd-party player.
. Split the MKV.
. Leave MKVs on server; create SMB or streaming connection.

Size aside, there's no reason to recode unless you want to. Using 3rd-party player, the 4430 can play 720p even in software mode.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE: I did not find these settings myself, I am merely putting the presets up if anyone else would like to use them. iron_c found them for me in another thread I had. The attached file is a .plist file so just change the extension.

EDIT

And so all the info is at the top people have been asking how to use this file. The newer versions of handbrake www.handbrake.fr have the ability to import settings. It's on the bottom right of the main screen under the list of presets.