New Software Update for Verizon GS4

Search This thread

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
lol, so did I, I was wondering where in your computer or phone you got the un-encrypted copy from.
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood.. was in %temp% ... just watched as file size grew, then after it said decrypting, it said decompressing and a new ZIP file was created in the temp folder.. while Kies said it was decompressing, I copied the ZIP file out of the temp folder.

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

Upload complete...

https://mega.co.nz/#!MUAFFJpC!JmndVBqnY2dlIYypzaaiLjCAzsYwJFjUNFN9oqZ7NAI

This should be flashable via ODIN, after unzipping.

Reactions: Scott

vacaloca

Jun 11, 2010
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood.. was in %temp% ... just watched as file size grew, then after it said decrypting, it said decompressing and a new ZIP file was created in the temp folder.. while Kies said it was decompressing, I copied the ZIP file out of the temp folder.

I see. I'm using the VZW upgrade assistant and don't really want the update to hit on my phone (since it's rooted) so I'll just download your copy since all I ended up was with the .zip.enc2 one.

Ryno77

Feb 13, 2012
Has anyone tried to Odin back to mdk?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda premium

shuddle13

Sep 4, 2012
Toledo
Screenshot of my update from last night

yquzeja2.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Tada10

Feb 19, 2013
Stick rooted here. Do I need to wait for a rooted version?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
I just read last night that there is some fear that Vnz patched the boot loader. My 32gb arrives today and hope I have a chance to opt out so I can root. What's the new version number?

My 32 arrives today too..... I might hold on the update.

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

From what I can tell there is nothing that will stop someone from making this device able to root. It'll just take some time. I'd there's a will there's an XDA.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

True, but instead of three or four steps we have now, it could be six or eight, plus line dancing during the next full moon- while wearing a frilly hat. The more steps, the more chance for confusion and/or brick city.

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
So I can confirm that you obviously lose root after the new update. But not only that, the new VRUAME7 build flashes a new bootloader that prevents you from flashing the prerelease kernel effectively preventing you from rerooting after as well. I have a few ideas I'm going to try to get this working but it may require a few extra steps. Watch here for updates and DO NOT update to the new build yet if you want to keep root: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2290798

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
Does the 32gb already have this update?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Good question :confused: :eek:

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

So I can confirm that you obviously lose root after the new update. But not only that, the new VRUAME7 build flashes a new bootloader that prevents you from flashing the prerelease kernel effectively preventing you from rerooting after as well. I have a few ideas I'm going to try to get this working but it may require a few extra steps. Watch here for updates and DO NOT update to the new build yet if you want to keep root: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2290798

I was just about to post a link to your dev post :)

Ryno77

Feb 13, 2012

Can you Odin the mdk file? I just want to know I'm not trapped if I install this. If you can Odin back then you can also root that way. Thanks for looking into rooting this!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda premium

h_10

Nov 3, 2010
saw this on the sprint s4 xda board.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43413998&postcount=159

Hello all, i'd like to answer some of your questions if possible. I've been working with Knox as a QA resource with a 3rd party testing a implementation of Knox and i'd like to answer a few points that have been brought up.
Activating Knox (knoxifying) a device locks the bootloader and activates the Knox Agent. The Knox agent will consistently force close and attempt to unsinstall any SU style application. The bootloader in Odin mode scans bootloader, PDA, Modem, CSC files for a unique Knox Samsung certificate.
After activating Knox you will see that the Secure Boot Mode changes to 'Enforcing'
There is no known way to reverse it back into a Permissive state and remove the Knox agent. Conversations with Samsung have proved less then useful on this subject however i've heard rumor they are coming up with a way to reverse it.
Knox cannot be activated soley on its own.
MDM vendors will still have full control of device even when Knox is activated. Knox is not meant to Sandbox a devices MDM vendor. It is meant to sandbox secure corp data, MDM vendors will more then likely still have samples and controls of device.

I had previously made a thread on reddit.com/r/android which I answered a lot of questions there as well however I cannot link to it due to using a throwaway account.

Schoat333

Sep 3, 2010
NE Ohio
Looks like I will be avoiding this update like the plague. Hopefully someone can just make a rooted ROM using the files.

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
While the new security sucks,I have no doubt what this community can do. I saw what happened with the S3 and Rezound; where there is a will, there was a way (the Rezound was trippy.. having to jumper wires and soft brick your device....)

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
Well guys, I have very unfortunate news for those of you whom updated and wanted to get root again. It is no longer possible. The new locked bootloader in the update prevents your from flashing the prerelease kernel and even prevents you from downgrading the bootloader itself or flashing back to VRUAMDK build so then you could flash the prerelease kernel. At this point anyone who updated is sort of "screwed" (as they say), including my own device. Unfortunatly until someone is able to find a new exploit we are seriously in trouble here as I don't have the knowledge to work on that level.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've tried 4 times to apply this update, however the Verizon download thing keeps crapping out. It downloads, then at the end says "Binary Download Fail. Please Try again."

god has told you 4 times to reconsider locking down your phone. how many more does he have to tell you before you'll listen.
    Well guys, I have very unfortunate news for those of you whom updated and wanted to get root again. It is no longer possible. The new locked bootloader in the update prevents your from flashing the prerelease kernel and even prevents you from downgrading the bootloader itself or flashing back to VRUAMDK build so then you could flash the prerelease kernel. At this point anyone who updated is sort of "screwed" (as they say), including my own device. Unfortunatly until someone is able to find a new exploit we are seriously in trouble here as I don't have the knowledge to work on that level.
    After further consideration, and due to the fact that I'm unable to test this no-wipe/no-lock method on my own device (due to having updated early like many folks here) I've decided that it's best to cancel the thread I was going to post. I'm really sorry folks but I realize this will not help those that already updated early and are stuck and also risking first testers with a possible hard brick as well due to the nature of such a mod. Once again, I apologize for raising anyone's hopes but I think this decision will benefit in the long run as our more advanced developers will continue searching for a proper root method that helps us few folks that updated early root as well instead of forgetting us after a no-lock update is available for everyone else. I hope you understand my reasoning for this decision. Better a proper fix for everyone than a workaround for most.
    What's the problem bud?

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S4

You need to start using Google search

Sent from my VZW Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta