[INFO] Unofficial Cyanogen Mod 7 Nightly Thread

Search This thread

Jedman67

Jun 14, 2011
NYC
I need a good colonel to run with 151 (haven't flashed in 2 weeks). Suggestions or go with stock?

Sent from my PG06100 using XDA App

Evo_Shift

Jan 17, 2011
I need a good colonel to run with 151 (haven't flashed in 2 weeks). Suggestions or go with stock?

wut?

42297e36-0b69-45a9.jpg

J/k :)

I have been using scary's kernels on my aosp roms and they have been great.

Last edited:

jesusice

Dec 22, 2010

On the latest nighties I've been staying on Toast's stock kernel with the max bumped up to 1.5ghz. It seems crazy but I'd swear I'm getting better battery life than stock max. For a while I was using Tiamet and liked it a lot but haven't tried it on any nightlies since 141.

^ Shift Faced

finalhit

Jan 12, 2009
hehe, i've self-appointed myself to be that douche that corrects people's spelling whenever someone says "kernal"...but that one's actually pretty funny

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

grandebob

Mar 4, 2011
Chicago
Had to roll back to Nightly 136 after running 157 for a day on my Evo Shift. Here were some issues:

• Gmail wouldn't sync (neither gmail or my apps account would sync over 3g or wifi, either automatically or when manually trying to fetch mail.)
  • Battery life was much worse then normal. (phone was consistently warm)
  • Reconnecting a paired bluetooth device prompted for authorization, even though it was previously paired.
  • WiFi signal strength was poor. 3 bars on 136 v 1 bar on 157.
  • Data connection seemed inconsistent. (This may have just been a perception based on my gmail not syncing but the web browser working)

Thanks for the work you guys do, let me know if you need any further information or logs or something.

CrashV2010

Aug 1, 2010
In my house !!!!
Had to roll back to Nightly 136 after running 157 for a day on my Evo Shift. Here were some issues:

• Gmail wouldn't sync (neither gmail or my apps account would sync over 3g or wifi, either automatically or when manually trying to fetch mail.)
  • Reconnecting a paired bluetooth device prompted for authorization, even though it was previously paired.
  • Data connection seemed inconsistent. (This may have just been a perception based on my gmail not syncing but the web browser working)

Thanks for the work you guys do, let me know if you need any further information or logs or something.
Thank you for this info, this will surly be helpful to others.

thronnos

Apr 28, 2011
San Antonio
www.TheOrderGaming.net

Well, based on my experience I would disagree with all of them (on my phone, all phones slightly different) except I do have 3G 4G signal issues... Other than that the rom is steady for me. And google navigation Still fc but this is an ongoing issue for me

Sent from my HTC EVO shift 4G running the latest and greatest cyanogen using the XDA premium app

jesusice

Dec 22, 2010

Had zero of these issues on 157. On nightlies lately my battery life has been better than ever but I think this is largely due to not charging so much and only charging when I get down to 1%. There's something else going on with your Shift, I ran 157 on stock kernel with the max to 1.5ghz and had no overheating at all.

Bars don't really mean anything, check your dBm. And Sprint's network is all sorts of inconsistant, chances are much higher that it's a Sprint issue rather than CM7.

(And of course Gmail syncs just fine for me)

Don't use bluetooth so can't verify that issue.

^ Shift Faced

draven760

Jan 23, 2011

I had the gmail issue a few nightlies back (2 weeks or so), and tried everything (clearing then cache, data, etc.). Eventually I found I had to remove and reattach my google mail account. After doing so it has worked perfectly, with no issues.

grandebob

Mar 4, 2011
Chicago
I had the gmail issue a few nightlies back (2 weeks or so), and tried everything (clearing then cache, data, etc.). Eventually I found I had to remove and reattach my google mail account. After doing so it has worked perfectly, with no issues.

I did try re-adding the gmail accounts, but with the same results. I'm going to try a complete data wipe when I get a chance and setup everything all over again. I haven't ever had a problem like this before when going from one nightly to another, but I don't think I've had such a large gap of nightlies to cover.

I did clear cache and dalvik, even tried re-clearing them after I started experiencing these weird issues.

thanks for the input, I'll be sure and let you know what happens after I do a full wipe.

draven760

Jan 23, 2011
Anyone have any experience with build 162 or above? 162 seems to have positive comments left on Rom manager, but I'm used to getting much more detailed feedback from here.

Thx.

thronnos

Apr 28, 2011
San Antonio
www.TheOrderGaming.net
Anyone have any experience with build 162 or above? 162 seems to have positive comments left on Rom manager, but I'm used to getting much more detailed feedback from here.

Thx.

Well, I'm using 163 with pershoot v7... Only 2 issues I have is that I cannot use google navigation, maps FC whenever I try to use navigation... And I he 4G icon but that isn't new, neither of them are. WiFi works perfect, bluetooth works, i get so so battery life. I've never gotten perfect life... For example I left my house at 930 with a full charge, now 10:30 and im at like 20% lol... I've been listening to music, i played with my clock speed, sent a few texts, did a few market Downloads. Used google+. Played a storm 8 game... But anyway, umm, unsure what else to say, everything works on this rom fine

Sent from my HTC EVO shift 4G running the latest and greatest cyanogen using the XDA premium app

jesusice

Dec 22, 2010

Thx.

I think you're not seeing much about >162 here as there aren't really any changes that'd affect the Shift. I'm still on 160 with stock kernel w/max set to 1.5ghz and everything works great. My battery life has been pretty good, 9hrs if I use it heavily and am not on wifi and 16hrs+ if on wifi. More if I don't use the phone much.

^ Shift Faced

Ron Overdrive

Feb 2, 2009
Has anyone else been suffering massive battery drains when they connect a bluetooth headset? I noticed while driving while hooked up to the car charger in car mode I started losing battery life which isn't normal for me. I've tried disabling the data while driving to conserve and it still drained. It wasn't until I disconnected my headset that it started to charge again as normal. Its been doing this since the last kernel update. Currently on the latest nightly and stock kernel.

Ps. Its illegal in my state to be talking on the phone without a hands free setup while driving and considering I drive a manual I kinda need my bt headset.

Last edited:

VICODAN

Apr 27, 2011
San Jose, CA
GPS sucks and I think it's my phone.. GPS won't stay awake and keep the lock, needs wifi assistance and loses the lock as well. Google Maps navigation has been a nightmare.. dropped my phone too many times maybe?

rhodiggah

Aug 11, 2010
South City
Still rockin' NIGHTLY 135 (2.3.4) with Pershoot's V1 Kernel clocked at 245/1.6 Smartass running steady and battery is great. This has been my daily for quite sometime now and recently, I am itching to switch things up a bit. What are the advantages if I updated to the latest nightly (or 2.3.5?)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    the initial patch i +1 was only to be merged after the camera app change was merged. looks like it was merged early causing compile errors because the the app chamge had never been merged. thus sparkos patch isnt useful because now the cam app change has been merged. this cam app change went aross all devices so everyone needed to update their devices. mine just got premature merged. idk why. anyhow this change enables ttf feature in camera app. sparko prolly knows this after reading the code. anyhow all is well and nightlies are back.

on a second note these are nightly builds and things are expected to be beta/broken/whatever. enjoy ;)
    CREDIT FOR MOST OF THIS THREAD GOES TO THE OP HERE
    I did this just to get the ball rolling. Will update this more when there is a little time. Just wanted to provide a single place for all things related to CyanogenMod for our phone.

We are officially on the device list for CM7. This will be a source of information for the nightly builds and is NOT OFFICIAL. I am just compiling information to save people time and harassment in the IRC (Just kidding, its a great room, come chat with us)

Quick Links:

List of features in CM7 Nightlies

• Android 2.3.5
    • Kernel 2.6.32
    • Reorganization of CM Settings Menu
    • Changelog now in CM Settings -> System
    • T-Mobile Theme engine
    • Music app has updated 4x2 widget
    • Album art and song on lockscreen
    • Reorganized CM Settings
    • Battery % on lockscreen option
    • Lockscreen custom app launcher
    • Additional rotary lock screen options
    • Fix readahead values for NAND/MMC devices
    • Revamped notification widget - cvpcs
    • Updated various graphics for GB style - blunden
    • DSPManager updated for 2.3 - alankila
    • Restyled music app - Jason Asher
    • Rotary answer in Phone app - James Peterson
    • BT VoiceDialer fixes - Matthew Sparby
    • Calendar enhancements - James Peterson
    • Stagefright fixes for 7x30, 8x50, and 7x27 - Zinx, arcee, Cyanogen
    • Pacman package manager - Kmobs
    • Workaround for unknown phone number - Jiri Tyr
    • Trackball answer/hangup - Juan Rodriguez
    • CMParts reorganization - Robert Burns
    • New browser incognito mode - optedoblivion
    • New trackball/trackpad wake - Zinx, Cyanogen
    • Legacy sensor/GPS support - arcee
    • Enabled v8 javascript engine on armv6 (msm7227/msm7225) - arcee
    • Customizable overscroll - arcee
    • Torch cleanup - defer
    • 2D compositor backwards compatibility - arcee
    • OpenGL backwards compatibility - Zinx, Cyanogen
    • SMS templates using gestures - Riccardo Ciovati
    • Phone Goggles - David Bidorff
    • Option to always show battery percentage on lockscreen - Robert Burns
    • CPU frequency/scaling control in CMParts - Robert Ramiega
    • Option to pause/play music with camera button - cvpcs
    • Allow SIP User-Agent configuration - arcee
    • Updated FLAC support - cvpcs, Cyanogen, kroot (laydros says YAY!)
    • Common: Updated wallpapers - Fitsnugly, Prash
    • Common: Customizable search/long-press search - Sven Dawitz
    • Common: New lockscreen styles - Rotary Revamped (default) and Lense - Sven Dawitz
    • Common: Customizable app launcher on rotary lockscreen - Sven Dawitz
    • Common: Now playing and album art on lockscreen - kmobs
    • Common: GPS fixes - CodeAurora
    • Common: Breakfast/Brunch - arcee
    • Common: Statusbar battery percentage with mini icon - Sven Dawitz, design by Jazz Kalsi
    • Common: SMS split for braindead carriers - Mike Wielgosz
    • Common: CMParts cleanup - Sven Dawitz
    • Common: Notification profiles - Martin Long
    ##########################################

Please bear in mind this is a nightly build, meant to be a testing ground for developers, and there may even be times the new nightly won't work at all. This is a common way of working in open source software. Most of the problems you are encountering the developers are already aware of. With that said, most of the nightly builds has been very solid and stable for many people here, and several of us that are used to development software are using it as a daily driver. Just realize that is not the intention of nightly builds.

Installation Info

You must be fully rooted (including NAND rooted) see the Perm root thread in the Dev section of the Shift forums for a few diff. ways to achieve this!

See links posted above.

First time CM7 user:
    1. Confirm lastest recovery from ROM Manager is installed. Should be CWM 3.0.1.4
    2. DL and transfer nightly and GAPPS to SD Card. Anywhere is fine, just remember where
    3. Boot into recovery and make a NANDROID backup. Choose Backup/Restore from main menu - then backup. Or use ROM Manager to create a backup as well.
    4. Once this is done, wipe data/cache (Factory Reset) this will reduce your chances of having any issues. You can use Titanium Backup to backup your apps from your original ROM, and restore them on CM7.
    5. Flash the nightly zip file.
    6. Flash the GAPPs file which adds the Market and allows you to download things like GMail, Goggles, Voice Search, and Maps.
    7. Suggestion - If you have Ti Backup of your apps and plan to restore, don't sign into Google upon first boot, as this usually starts a download of all your apps, and will bog down your phone. There is no need to DL all of this when you have them all on your phone. The only thing you need to do is have an installable apk for Ti backup. After running through the initial setup screen, install Ti Backup and restore Apps.

Nightly Addict:
    1. Flash to get your fix. Na0wz!
    2. No need to re-flash GAPPs everytime and nightlies do not touch your installed apps. (Typically, bad things can happen so flashing nightlies are at your own risk)
    There are now only two versions of GApps, one for Tegra CPUs and one for non. For the Shift you want the standard version without Tegra support
    GApps changed for CM7 and only has the basics for market access. When you first log in you will be given a screen of checkboxes to download the apps you want. You can also add them manually later from the market.

Thanks again for your hard work to the entire CM team, but most especially ToastCFH who has been hard at work getting us a working ROM.
    really happy to see the possitive feed back. working on fixing mms at the moment. its kinda my top priority now. i will continue to keep our device up to date with the others as well. last nights nightly (30) shouldve resolved most the video issues. im still not totally happy with it tho. youtube in portrate is a bit fux0rd. working on it also. headset is another kicker for me. wanjna fix0r it also. lots to do... its a WIP for sure and im on it. finally switched service to my shift... so i can better debug mms and other related issues. hope to get us rc soon. thanx for the support and feed back everyone.
    ok so i fixed the headset issue last night. also added back the screen off animations and a few other minor changes. looking at the torch app now trying to figure out why it doesnt like our flashlight. either way, we should see a RC here soon. i think the last changes i made fixed most of the issues. i made changes to the ril which seem to improve data and such. anyhow just giving an update on progress.

at the post above did u do a full wipe before flashing? and are u using the latest clockwork recovery from rom manager in the market?
    glad to here things are better. i calmed down all the debugging i had going in 32, so batery life should improve along with other performance. mms DOES need a wipe depending on what apn u have stored in the telephony.db. wimax reconnect should be effecting the shift also. that said im working to fix that for both the evo and the shift. im getting close to a fix there so it wont belong. headset is irritating!!! im working on it also and hope to get it resolved here shortly.

all and all i think were getting close to an RC. i think we could do it now actually but i really want headset working. as i know a few people really want it. so again everyone thanx for the continued support, debugging and feedback. it helps :)