GPS (possible issue)

GPS working for you?

• Total voters
Search This thread

mgawelek

Mar 31, 2005
Chillicothe
www.image-maps.com
I have an RMA number in hand. Then I emailed them asking if they thought this was a firmware or a hardware issue.

Just got this from asus email support
================================
Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
The ASUS Transformer Prime is made from a metallic unibody design, so the material may affect the performance of the GPS when receiving signals from satellites.
Please note that this product is not a professional GPS device and signal performance can be easily influenced by factors including, but not limited to: weather, buildings and your surrounding environment.
Please understand there are some limitations when using the GPS function.

Some scenarios you may encounter when experiencing weak GPS performance:
1. Using the GPS while traveling in a car: The roof of a car, the insulation, bridges and other factors can affect signal reception.
2. High density areas with large buildings and structures that can block line of sight communication with GPS satellites.

For more information feel free to refer to our self-help pages by clicking
the links below:
Troubleshooting -[asus url]
FAQ - [asus url]
Live Support - [asus url]

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate
to contact us.

Best Regards,

Jerry

ASUS Customer Service

My iphone and my friends atrix will find a GPS signal within 5 seconds of putting our phones near a windows. Those too are not professional GPS devices.

briant97

Jun 12, 2007
Hey guys the idea that you need wireless for gps to work is false. I drove all the way home yesterday with no wireless and with gps status running. I go 0 locks until i reached my village. Once I hit my village satellite signals came in like mad. It was crazy like 13 satellites I had never seen that many and locked on to 11,12 at a time. This was all with no wireless. The only reason I can think it worked in my village is it is a low lying area that is watched heavy by weather satellites I know because it is a tornado area and its always making the weather forecast for bad weather. They always name my village in my little old town as possible area for bad weather. Now my friend that has his unit can barely get his to work at all but he never let gps fix run for full 15 min. Not sure if that helped mine or not. Here is the response he received from ASUS.

The ASUS Transformer Prime is made from a metallic unibody design, so the material may affect the performance of the GPS when receiving signals from satellites.
Please note that this product is not a professional GPS device and signal performance can be easily influenced by factors including, but not limited to: weather, buildings and your surrounding environment.

1. Using the GPS while traveling in a car: The roof of a car, the insulation, bridges and other factors can affect signal reception.
2. High density areas with large buildings and structures that can block line of sight communication with GPS satellites.

the links below:
Troubleshooting -
http://support.asus.com/troubleshooting/troubleshooting.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
FAQ - http://support.asus.com/faq/faq.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
Live Support - http://livesupport.asus.com

to contact us.

Best Regards,

Jerry

Maybe they should explain that to people before they purchase them.

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
I have an RMA number in hand. Then I emailed them asking if they thought this was a firmware or a hardware issue.

Dear Valued Customer,

the links below:
FAQ - [asus url]

to contact us.

Best Regards,

Jerry

ASUS Customer Service

My iphone and my friends atrix will find a GPS signal within 5 seconds of putting our phones near a windows. Those too are not professional GPS devices.

well at least Asus finally acknowledged that the metal design of the back is affecting reception of GPS. they could've easily used the metal backing to actually increase reception performance but instead it wasnt designed with that in mind. and now the metal is hampering performance.

they must be getting a lot of calls in. their replies are seeming to acknowledge the problem more. can someone post their customer service number or email address? ill hit them up also and see what they say. I wonder if a system update can increase the strength of reception on the GPS antennae. send more power through it or something.

BixBix78

Sep 14, 2010
Asus revised spec page for prime
GPS-yes (as long as you're not moving under a clear moonlite sky at elevations above 5000 feet)

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
I write for an Android blog site might post this now

make sure to leave that customer service rep name out of it. I think we can get in trouble for publishing an email that was sent to someone else in confidentiality of being between rep and original person. not sure. I thought I saw somewhere before someone got in trouble for that exact same thing. even if so, it could easily be paraphrased or something.

tylermaciaszek

Jul 1, 2011
Selden
make sure to leave that customer service rep name out of it. I think we can get in trouble for publishing an email that was sent to someone else in confidentiality of being between rep and original person. not sure. I thought I saw somewhere before someone got in trouble for that exact same thing. even if so, it could easily be paraphrased or something.
I'm going to leave ask names out will post link for you guys to read after

Reactions: demandarin

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
Asus revised spec page for prime
GPS-yes (as long as you're not moving under a clear moonlite sky at elevations above 5000 feet)

slick bastards. they trying to cover their !#& now..lol. so they can always say it was listed on their site. I wonder if this follows under false advertisement? I love by Prime but would love to make Asus sweat n compensate all of us original owners with keyboard docks n such for the misunderstanding and inconvience we are experiencing.

n11

Dec 11, 2009

Dear Valued Customer,

the links below:
FAQ - [asus url]

to contact us.

Best Regards,

Jerry

ASUS Customer Service

I think this thread needs to take a different direction now based on the Asus GPS response. There is not much question at this point that the TF201 GPS is working technically but is almost useless from a practical standpoint. You can't get in your car, tether to a cell phone, use Google navigation, and expect the GPS in the TF201 to get you to your destination. The TF201 is advertised as having GPS...from a practical standpoint it does NOT have GPS. I realize that if I'm standing in an open field and want to know where I am then the TF201 will assist me (if I hold the screen up like I'm worshiping the GPS sats). We need to let Asus know that this limited usability is not sufficient to market the TF201 as having GPS.

I believe these are the main points:
  • TF201 is marketed as having GPS
  • GPS works only in a technical sense
  • GPS does not work in a practical sense (i.e. in a car)
  • If you (like I did) planned on using GPS in a practical sense then you have been mislead by Asus
  • We would like Asus to provide a solution so there is real GPS (firmware, replacement plastic back, etc.)
At this point there is no sense in continuing to debate whether GPS works...it doesn't work for what is considered normal GPS use.
Thanks to all those who have contributed to this epic thread...very useful.

tylermaciaszek

Jul 1, 2011
Selden
heres the article if you care to read and share to get the issue out so asus will do something and don't think im trying to shamelessly advertise the blog site i write for i just want the issue to get out.

Article

BixBix78

Sep 14, 2010
#Asusgate

Too bad a took a screenshot last night :D :D

Oh yeah I just checked the spec page for the prime and Asus has removed GPS off sensor row.

http://usa.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Transformer_Prime_TF201/#specifications

20111230_040250.jpg

RussianMenace

Oct 13, 2010
heres the article if you care to read and share to get the issue out so asus will do something and don't think im trying to shamelessly advertise the blog site i write for i just want the issue to get out.

Article

Personal blogs are fine and all. But what we really need are the big boys (Engadget,cnet,anantech,AC,etc.) getting the word out...put some pressure on Asus.

tylermaciaszek

Jul 1, 2011
Selden
Personal blogs are fine and all. But what we really need are the big boys (Engadget,cnet,anantech,AC,etc.) getting the word out...put some pressure on Asus.
we have quite a large following to be honest over 1 million hits a month and growing every month we are certainly not a personal blog and have a full writing team and a full team of manufacturers who send us devices

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

#Asusgate

Too bad a took a screenshot last night :D :D

Oh yeah I just checked the spec page for the prime and Asus has removed GPS off sensor row.

http://usa.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Transformer_Prime_TF201/#specifications

20111230_040250.jpg
do i have permission to use this pictures on my site?

tshoulihane

Jun 16, 2010
Redmi Note 12 5G
You need to remember that these customer service people have very little technical support - and are as likely to be quoting back things they read here as anything else. Yes, maybe the metal back doesn't help - but the problems people are having seem more go/no go than just bad signals.

We already know that most of the people on this thread are not inclined to be very technical in their investigations - trying to stir up press at this point is unlikely to be productive.

My SGS 2 has really poor GPS performance some of the time - it seems to have a state where it doesn't ever lock (just flashes up a few says detected then drops them), so software issues are perfectly possible - as are simple things like the antenna being incorrectly connected. You don't think they ever tested the GPS performance in the final caseworks?

BixBix78

Sep 14, 2010
tylermaciaszek Yes, Please do.

---------- Post added at 08:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

Why is gps removed off the sensor row overnight?
You need to remember that these customer service people have very little technical support - and are as likely to be quoting back things they read here as anything else. Yes, maybe the metal back doesn't help - but the problems people are having seem more go/no go than just bad signals.

We already know that most of the people on this thread are not inclined to be very technical in their investigations - trying to stir up press at this point is unlikely to be productive.

My SGS 2 has really poor GPS performance some of the time - it seems to have a state where it doesn't ever lock (just flashes up a few says detected then drops them), so software issues are perfectly possible - as are simple things like the antenna being incorrectly connected. You don't think they ever tested the GPS performance in the final caseworks?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I felt compelled to register and post because I see a lot of misinformation here. Let's get a few facts straight...

-GPS does not require the use of a WiFi(802.11) or cellular(2G/3G/4G) connection to get a first fix
    -Some implementations of GPS have the capability to use WiFi and/or cellular connections as an option to help speed up time to first fix. This is called AGPS and only affects time to first fix.
    -Accuracy of GPS typically does not increase with WiFi or cellular connection. In other words, once a fix is obtained, GPS accuracy is the same whether WiFi or cellular connections are present. I say typically though because there are some advanced systems that use off device servers to do some heavy computations and then relay device location back to the device through WiFi or cellular. I doubt this is the case with the TF201.
    -Some devices have no GPS and just use WiFi or cellular data to provide a very rough (e.g. 200m) location accuracy. THIS IS NOT GPS.

I believe the TF201 has a GPS system that uses WiFi to help speed up time to first fix. That said, WiFi should not be required in the TF201 when trying to get a first fix, and the lack of WiFi should only extend the time to first fix.

Given the symptoms people are reporting, and the fact that it is not consistent from device to device, I also believe the problem plaguing the TF201 is hardware related and specifically related to the GPS's receive sensitivity. Perhaps there is some variation in antenna impedance from tablet to tablet. This could be caused by something as trivial and devastating such as manufacturing intolerances that cause the aluminum metal casing to inadvertently touch an antenna and screw up the receive path impedance.
    So I just got my replacement ATP. Before I took the first one I got back to
    Best buy I shot a comparison video for the GPS. The Second one I got has a
    working GPS. Its not as strong as it should be but its working. The first one..
    nothing.

Both on my car hood in my driveway on a clear night with full view of the sky.
    It took about 1 minute for the one with a working gps to get any signal. The
    signal strenth seemed to fluctuate a lot.

Who'd listen to you? You're an idiot. :)

I suggest people trying to get a fix without holding the tablet. Try laying it on its face and back and see if you can get a fix.
    Hello fellow members. I know this is not a fix but a workaround to have navigation working assuming you have a smartphone with bluetooth tethering .

I have the transformer prime nonrooted and evo 4g running cm7.1.

I used this how to video

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=/watch?v=d43uq-gzI_I&v=d43uq-gzI_I&gl=US

I first blutooth tether to get internet access. Uses less battery. (I didnt follow his wifi tethering instructions )

Make phone discoverable connect tablet. Hit pair on both devices, then connect internet on tablet bluetooth setting ( once done i turn off discoverable on phone)

Then enable the phones gps app (gps over bt, market free )left discoverable at 30. (I change this to 5 still works fine)

On the tablet i went to settings application setting enable mock location

I then launched the tablet gps app (bluetooth gps, market free by googoo ) and enable mock location. Then hit the connect button. And thats it.

Add the widget tablet. Done.

Hopefully ics does fix this problem

I love my evo 4g with cm7. Does everthing i need

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium
    not getting a single sat here. coming from a Galaxy S, this isn't new to me...