Mobile BRAVIA Engine - What is it?

Search This thread

Someguyfromhell

Feb 2, 2012
Do you have an Xperia™ smartphone that comes with Mobile BRAVIA® Engine? Are you curious to find out more about what this Sony technology actually does? Mobile BRAVIA® Engine is a high quality image engine that utilises technologies that have been successfully proven in Sony BRAVIA® TVs for a number of years. The Mobile BRAVIA® Engine combines contrast enhancement technologies used in Sony BRAVIA TVs with colour management, and adds sharpness filters and noise reduction to display vivid beautiful images and videos on your Xperia™ smartphone. The Mobile BRAVIA® Engine is included in most Xperia™ smartphones, and its effects apply to image and video viewing. Go on reading after the jump where we describe the technology in more detail!
To go a bit into detail, the Mobile BRAVIA® Engine is a set of Sony-specific image processing algorithms which are applied to the rendering process when drawing an image or video on the screen of your smartphone. It’s on by default, in those Xperia™ smartphones where it’s applicable, but it can be turned off in the settings menu of your phone. The benefit of using Mobile BRAVIA® Engine is that the viewing experience is improved in a way that is optimised to fit the human eye, with more details, enhanced colours and less noise.
When the Mobile BRAVIA® Engine is running, a software layer is applied to the decoding step for images and video, where the Mobile BRAVIA® Engine processing is done in real-time. This means that it does not alter the image or video file, but only the way it is represented on the screen. The Mobile BRAVIA® Engine works intelligently and applies the effects depending on input, which means that the effects are applied in a way that is individually calculated for each picture. In addition, all of the algorithms in Mobile BRAVIA® Engine are calibrated for each Xperia™ product to improve image quality on the specific display. Below, we will describe the different effects along with images illustrating these effects.
Contrast enhancement brings out the details
With the Mobile BRAVIA® Engine, the contrast in images and video is enhanced by making the darkest parts slightly darker, which results in a perceived higher contrast that brings out details in the picture. This contrast enhancement is adapted to each individual image to avoid further reduction of brightness on images that are already dark, and to strengthen the contrast enhancement on vivid and bright images. As seen in the illustration below, this will give your images and videos more dynamics and better perceived details.

BE_contrast.jpg

Illustration showing the contrast enhancement effect of the Mobile BRAVIA® Engine.

Colour Management gives deep and vivid colours
Colour saturation is also increased for specified colour ranges when you are running the Mobile BRAVIA® Engine, which will make the colours deeper and more vivid. In general, the human eye prefers deeper colours on photo and video. This is especially true for natural scenes. As you can see in the illustration below, the enhancement level and the enhanced colour ranges are calibrated to suit human eyes when running Mobile BRAVIA® Engine. This makes sure that colours on photo and video are represented in a way that is pleasant for the eye.

BE_colourmgmt.jpg

Illustration showing the colour management effect of the Mobile BRAVIA® Engine.

Noise reduction for clear video viewing
Another use case where Mobile BRAVIA® Engine comes in useful is when you are streaming low-quality video from online sources, as the compression algorithms usually used by common web services such as YouTube, often cause distortions and many artefacts in the image. For videos stored locally on your smartphone, there might also be a risk of noise depending on the video quality of your clip. The noise artefacts that most commonly occur when using such compression algorithms are block noise, and mosquito noise.
Now by using Mobile BRAVIA® Engine, all of these disturbances are greatly reduced as it reduces temporal and spatial noise caused by these artefacts in low-resolution video. Spatial noise reduction means that image noise reduction is applied to each individual frame, and temporal noise reduction means that noise between frames is reduced. The Mobile BRAVIA® Engine combines these two methods to get an improved user experience when watching videos.

BE_noise.jpg

Illustration showing the effect of the noise reduction done by the Mobile BRAVIA® Engine.

Sharpness filter increases detail level
As a final step in the Mobile BRAVIA® Engine, a sharpness filter is applied to increase the overall detail level in the image. This is done by enhancing the edges, as seen below, and the enhancement is calibrated to increase contrast between different image areas, but still avoid an increase of the amount of noise present in the image.

BE_sharpness.jpg

Illustration showing the effect of the Mobile BRAVIA® Engine sharpness filter.

As you can see, the effects of the Mobile BRAVIA® Engine enhance the image viewing experience drastically. And the best thing is that you basically only have to pick up a fairly modern Sony Xperia™ smartphone to enjoy it, as this Sony imaging technology is included in most Xperia™ smartphones.
Do you find the Mobile BRAVIA® Engine useful for viewing your images? Check out the links below for more information, and drop us a comment if you have any questions!

Source: http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2012/06/21/mobile-bravia-engine-explained-video

ALSO
Check this: http://blog.gsmarena.com/heres-what-sony-ericsson-mobile-bravia-engine-really-does-review/

Last edited:

Someguyfromhell

Feb 2, 2012
Open a photo, make screenshot, turn on Bravia Engine(or off it was on earlier), open the same photo, make screenshot and then compare these photos.

Feanor88

May 6, 2012
Open a photo, make screenshot, turn on Bravia Engine(or off it was on earlier), open the same photo, make screenshot and then compare these photos.
That's what I was about to do. But then I thought: what happens if I turn Bravia Engine on, take a screenshot, and then watch the screenshot with Bravia Engine off? And vice-versa :D

UchihaDareNial

Feb 2, 2012
Seremban
That's what I was about to do. But then I thought: what happens if I turn Bravia Engine on, take a screenshot, and then watch the screenshot with Bravia Engine off? And vice-versa :D

Braviaception..we need to go deeper...

XDA Premium sent this message from owner of Sk17i

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1340335805310.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1340335805310.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 424

DragonClawsAreSharp

Nov 1, 2011

Okay. I opened a pic. Took a screenshot (bravia engine turned off). Then I turned on bravia engine, and opened the same pic. And took another screen shot. Then I compare the photos on my phone itself. They are exactly the same. I transfer the screenshots to my laptop and view them. They are same there aswell. :confused:.

What should I do? I want to see Bravia Engine in action.

Sent from my SK17i using XDA

ekakribo

Feb 1, 2011
Me too see no difference.. Huwaaaa.. Is it really useful?

Sent from my SK17i using xda premium

Feanor88

May 6, 2012
Okay. I opened a pic. Took a screenshot (bravia engine turned off). Then I turned on bravia engine, and opened the same pic. And took another screen shot. Then I compare the photos on my phone itself. They are exactly the same. I transfer the screenshots to my laptop and view them. They are same there aswell. :confused:.

That was my point. Since Bravia Engine is just a tweak, I don't think you can capture the differences between a picture with BE on and the same picture with BE off just using a screen capture. Don't know if you understand what I mean... it's the same picture, after all. It's displayed in a different way, but I don't think the screen capture will... capture the difference. :p

Here in Italy there's a web series called "Lost in Google", where a boy causes a cathaclysm searching "Google" on Google... looks the same, lol :p

Reactions: Tikki Pon

Someguyfromhell

Feb 2, 2012

Don't have my phone at the moment, can't test it myself...
I might buy Xperia Arc S over few weeks, then I can post results here.

Sekhen

Mar 29, 2012
Paris
Hi,

Bravia® engine is a technology invented for TV.

Even statics images have technically better colors & contrast, it's almost invisible for human eyes...

But mobile Bravia® engine allow videos to really have a lower noise if video player have no filter activated & less pixellisation if it use interpolation...

Regards.

Sekhen.

Last edited:

paraiso-san

Aug 19, 2011
Coimbra
The LWW doesn't feature Bravia Screen, but you can install the Bravia Engine software, it's even included in some ROMs. Is it true that it's useless and only causes more battery drain in the LWW?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Do you have an Xperia™ smartphone that comes with Mobile BRAVIA® Engine? Are you curious to find out more about what this Sony technology actually does? Mobile BRAVIA® Engine is a high quality image engine that utilises technologies that have been successfully proven in Sony BRAVIA® TVs for a number of years. The Mobile BRAVIA® Engine combines contrast enhancement technologies used in Sony BRAVIA TVs with colour management, and adds sharpness filters and noise reduction to display vivid beautiful images and videos on your Xperia™ smartphone. The Mobile BRAVIA® Engine is included in most Xperia™ smartphones, and its effects apply to image and video viewing. Go on reading after the jump where we describe the technology in more detail!
    To go a bit into detail, the Mobile BRAVIA® Engine is a set of Sony-specific image processing algorithms which are applied to the rendering process when drawing an image or video on the screen of your smartphone. It’s on by default, in those Xperia™ smartphones where it’s applicable, but it can be turned off in the settings menu of your phone. The benefit of using Mobile BRAVIA® Engine is that the viewing experience is improved in a way that is optimised to fit the human eye, with more details, enhanced colours and less noise.
    When the Mobile BRAVIA® Engine is running, a software layer is applied to the decoding step for images and video, where the Mobile BRAVIA® Engine processing is done in real-time. This means that it does not alter the image or video file, but only the way it is represented on the screen. The Mobile BRAVIA® Engine works intelligently and applies the effects depending on input, which means that the effects are applied in a way that is individually calculated for each picture. In addition, all of the algorithms in Mobile BRAVIA® Engine are calibrated for each Xperia™ product to improve image quality on the specific display. Below, we will describe the different effects along with images illustrating these effects.
    Contrast enhancement brings out the details
    With the Mobile BRAVIA® Engine, the contrast in images and video is enhanced by making the darkest parts slightly darker, which results in a perceived higher contrast that brings out details in the picture. This contrast enhancement is adapted to each individual image to avoid further reduction of brightness on images that are already dark, and to strengthen the contrast enhancement on vivid and bright images. As seen in the illustration below, this will give your images and videos more dynamics and better perceived details.

BE_contrast.jpg

Illustration showing the contrast enhancement effect of the Mobile BRAVIA® Engine.

Colour Management gives deep and vivid colours
    Colour saturation is also increased for specified colour ranges when you are running the Mobile BRAVIA® Engine, which will make the colours deeper and more vivid. In general, the human eye prefers deeper colours on photo and video. This is especially true for natural scenes. As you can see in the illustration below, the enhancement level and the enhanced colour ranges are calibrated to suit human eyes when running Mobile BRAVIA® Engine. This makes sure that colours on photo and video are represented in a way that is pleasant for the eye.

BE_colourmgmt.jpg

Illustration showing the colour management effect of the Mobile BRAVIA® Engine.

Noise reduction for clear video viewing
    Another use case where Mobile BRAVIA® Engine comes in useful is when you are streaming low-quality video from online sources, as the compression algorithms usually used by common web services such as YouTube, often cause distortions and many artefacts in the image. For videos stored locally on your smartphone, there might also be a risk of noise depending on the video quality of your clip. The noise artefacts that most commonly occur when using such compression algorithms are block noise, and mosquito noise.
    Now by using Mobile BRAVIA® Engine, all of these disturbances are greatly reduced as it reduces temporal and spatial noise caused by these artefacts in low-resolution video. Spatial noise reduction means that image noise reduction is applied to each individual frame, and temporal noise reduction means that noise between frames is reduced. The Mobile BRAVIA® Engine combines these two methods to get an improved user experience when watching videos.

BE_noise.jpg

Illustration showing the effect of the noise reduction done by the Mobile BRAVIA® Engine.

Sharpness filter increases detail level
    As a final step in the Mobile BRAVIA® Engine, a sharpness filter is applied to increase the overall detail level in the image. This is done by enhancing the edges, as seen below, and the enhancement is calibrated to increase contrast between different image areas, but still avoid an increase of the amount of noise present in the image.

BE_sharpness.jpg

Illustration showing the effect of the Mobile BRAVIA® Engine sharpness filter.

As you can see, the effects of the Mobile BRAVIA® Engine enhance the image viewing experience drastically. And the best thing is that you basically only have to pick up a fairly modern Sony Xperia™ smartphone to enjoy it, as this Sony imaging technology is included in most Xperia™ smartphones.
    Do you find the Mobile BRAVIA® Engine useful for viewing your images? Check out the links below for more information, and drop us a comment if you have any questions!

Source: http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2012/06/21/mobile-bravia-engine-explained-video

ALSO
    Check this: http://blog.gsmarena.com/heres-what-sony-ericsson-mobile-bravia-engine-really-does-review/

XDA Premium sent this message from owner of Sk17i

That was my point. Since Bravia Engine is just a tweak, I don't think you can capture the differences between a picture with BE on and the same picture with BE off just using a screen capture. Don't know if you understand what I mean... it's the same picture, after all. It's displayed in a different way, but I don't think the screen capture will... capture the difference. :p

Here in Italy there's a web series called "Lost in Google", where a boy causes a cathaclysm searching "Google" on Google... looks the same, lol :p
    If BE are adapted from sony TV, then BEngine is a software combined with hardware, so taking a screenshoot is useless.

Maybe we can try this one, take a photo and watch it in two phones with same type, activate BE on first phone and deactivate on the second one.

CMIIW :D

Sent from my ST18i

Taking screenshot of BE on and BE off are useless?

BRAVIA ON : uploadfromtaptalk1365507364688.jpg

BRAVIA OFF : uploadfromtaptalk1365507388023.jpg

Sent from my SK17i using xda premium
    Screenshots

I have attached the screenshots..not individual image file. This shows that BE works at a more deeper layer than just image enhancement