[SOLVED] WTF is "sensorserver_ya" and why is it killing my battery?

Search This thread

Shane112358

Sep 1, 2010
This mystery process called "sensorserver_ya" is killing my battery, between 50% and 150% of what my screen is using (which is, of course, a lot).

Anyone have any idea what it is? Tried googling things for awhile and found nothing other than people listing their battery processes, and a couple other people asking what it is also...

TimeWalker pedometer widget was the culprit in my case, see details near bottom of thread.

Last edited:

icantdrawanime

Jun 14, 2010
This mystery process called "sensorserver_ya" is killing my battery, between 50% and 150% of what my screen is using (which is, of course, a lot).

Anyone have any idea what it is? Tried googling things for awhile and found nothing other than people listing their battery processes, and a couple other people asking what it is also...

How did you find this info?

Shane112358

Sep 1, 2010
It doesn't show up in my task manager, or as an app in Titanium or anywhere else.

I have quite a few widgets installed (Weather Channel, Buzz Box, Agenda Widget, Battery Widget, Facebook, Pandora, TimeWalker, Twitter) as well as Tasker running. Could it be one of those? I might try removing them one by one to see if it goes away.

Pops_G

Oct 8, 2007
San Diego
Do you have any games installed? I found this on some Swedish site. They were talking about the same process.

Originally Posted by Double Barrel
Now, added that the phone has been on the table all night. Had an app called Labyrinth started. Could be it. Now I'm down to 13%.

Labyrinth Games that are heavy users of the sensors so it is not surprising.

Shane112358

Sep 1, 2010
I disabled the Tasker profiles and let the phone sit for almost 2 hours.

Sensorserver_ya :40%
Cell standby: 22%
Phone idle: 16%
Bluetooth: 9%
Display: 7%
Android OS: 3%
WiFi: 3%
Android System: 2%
TimeWalker (pedometer widget): 2%

What. The. Cuss. ???

tatoniss

Nov 20, 2008
I have the same thing but it only takes 3-4%

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

sparkling

Mar 8, 2009
same thing here, used 27% of battery in few hours and 1hr 18m CPU usage time.
Galaxy S Vibrant user

Shane112358

Sep 1, 2010
I disabled the TimeWalker widget (pedometer) and the process hasn't appeared yet. I think this may have fixed it. Anyone else?

Shane112358

Sep 1, 2010
At least in my case, the TimeWalker widget was the culprit. "Sensorserver_ya" didn't show up for days. This morning, I reactivated it and all of a sudden it showed up again, shooting up to 9% of battery usage (and draining 2% of my total battery) in less than 10 minutes. The widget itself took another 1/3 of that.

Too bad, I had a pedometer built into my Sony Ericsson w580i and it was awesome. Battery rocked. Not sure what the problem is here.

Stresa

Aug 13, 2010
I see that process on occasion and I've never run the widget that you are referring to.

It is probably triggered by running a compass or other app that uses the position sensors.

Sent from Samsung Vibrant

bcook75

Oct 3, 2010
Since not everybody is seeing this power drain, I think it is not likely to be the system setting to check orientation and adjust the screen from portrait to landscape automatically, although that seems a likely suspect to me. I also suspect a screen management tool called Screebl. I have disabled Screebl now to see if that makes a difference. (Even though I had Screebl configured to not work when power is applied, my system didn't have any period of Suspend through the night last night, despite being plugged in for about half the night.)

Last edited:

Greenhorse

Nov 19, 2010

TimeWalker pedometer widget was the culprit in my case, see details near bottom of thread.

I observed that besides the mystery process sensorserver_ya and the shortened battery life, if I watched the phone go into power saver mode with no apps running it would dim then kill my display as expected, but then after 3 to 5 seconds it would light it up again as if I had pressed the activate button.

I tried uninstalling two apps ACIDR and PowerAmp. This behavior stopped after
that. I reinstalled PowerAmp and the behavior did not recur. ACIDR had been on my GalaxyS for some time PowerAmp was recently added. Both were up to date.

cybermage1

Nov 19, 2010
www.humanoidapps.com
I know, old thread, but...

Just to add to the possible causes for others, I found that CardioTrainer had frozen up while trying to post my workout to Facebook. Several hours later I saw the sensorserver process sucking my battery at 14% of total usage according to "About Phone". When this thread mentioned pedometer and labyrinth I checked and found that CardioTrainer was hung. It didn't show in the normal "Active Applications" but TitaniumBackup told me it was running.

Hope that helps anyone else with the problem.

Dameon87

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 30, 2008
OnePlus 8
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Seeing that process means that you have something that is making use of the accelerometer on a frequent basis. You should figure out which of your apps are using the accelerometer and either uninstall or make sure they remain closed.

Making use of the accelerometer in a way that is using it at nearly all times is the fastest way to burn through your battery.