Porting Sailfish OS

Search This thread

jabza

Aug 20, 2012
So, with the recent news of a port of Sailfish to the Nexus 4, I've been thinking. Does anyone know what it would take to port this OS? Does anyone here know the system well enough to be able to describe what it would entail to port this to another Nexus device, like the Nexus 5?

To clarify, I'm not asking anyone else to port the OS (though if someone would like to, that's fine), because I'm more than happy to do the work for it. I've just never actually ported anything like a completely new OS, so I don't know what it would involve and I'd like it if someone explained or even gave a rough outline of what would need to be done.

Daycrawler

Mar 27, 2012
Gdańsk
So, with the recent news of a port of Sailfish to the Nexus 4, I've been thinking. Does anyone know what it would take to port this OS? Does anyone here know the system well enough to be able to describe what it would entail to port this to another Nexus device, like the Nexus 5?

To clarify, I'm not asking anyone else to port the OS (though if someone would like to, that's fine), because I'm more than happy to do the work for it. I've just never actually ported anything like a completely new OS, so I don't know what it would involve and I'd like it if someone explained or even gave a rough outline of what would need to be done.

I tried to do that a few weeks back but didn't have time to hunt down all the problems I had.
Check out this blog:
http://martinbrook.blogspot.com/?m=1
There's a rough guide in one entry. Basically you need to build CM from source, apply libhybris patches and then set up Mer on top of it. When you get Mer running it should be easy to install Sailfish packages. Libhybris is a compatibility layer for Android drivers to work on normal linux. Good luck and let us know how it goes. I had troubles with building Mer image for my device. In the video you mentioned it looks like the whole patch+Mer+ sailfish packages is this second prepared zip he flashes.

Sent from my LG-P760 using Tapatalk

aeppacher

Apr 14, 2012

Hey man have you tried yet? My laptop is currently being serviced but upon its return I really want to try this.

jabza

Aug 20, 2012
Hey man have you tried yet? My laptop is currently being serviced but upon its return I really want to try this.

Not yet; I've been busy working with other things. Though it looks like we're in pretty good shape so far because the recent Ubuntu Touch builds have been getting doing some good work for Mer on the Nexus 5, so hopefully we can use that progress. I just haven't found the time to work on this yet, unfortunately.

Reactions: aeppacher

aeppacher

Apr 14, 2012
Not yet; I've been busy working with other things. Though it looks like we're in pretty good shape so far because the recent Ubuntu Touch builds have been getting doing some good work for Mer on the Nexus 5, so hopefully we can use that progress. I just haven't found the time to work on this yet, unfortunately.

I think SF is a really promising OS more so than Firefox is, tizen, and I think more polished than Ubuntu phone. I can't wait to start developing for it so I really want to port it when I get my laptop back. Nice thing is if you use Qt you can basically just write one app that will natively run on Ubuntu and SailFish

jabza

Aug 20, 2012
I think SF is a really promising OS more so than Firefox is, tizen, and I think more polished than Ubuntu phone. I can't wait to start developing for it so I really want to port it when I get my laptop back. Nice thing is if you use Qt you can basically just write one app that will natively run on Ubuntu and SailFish

I agree completely. It's sad that it hasn't seen a bigger leap in development, but I hope that it'll pick up sooner rather than later. I was just reading earlier today about Qt, which is pretty nifty if you ask me. Hopefully I'll find some time this week to actually make progress on it.

aeppacher

Apr 14, 2012
I agree completely. It's sad that it hasn't seen a bigger leap in development, but I hope that it'll pick up sooner rather than later. I was just reading earlier today about Qt, which is pretty nifty if you ask me. Hopefully I'll find some time this week to actually make progress on it.

Well once I get my laptop back I will message you and maybe we can tag team it

Reactions: jabza

aeppacher

Apr 14, 2012

Jolla is working hard on the android hardware adaptation libraries, here's official status about whats going on, its work in progres and might not be quite upto date.
https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris

source: https://twitter.com/HarriHakulinen/status/433163017555959808

I tweeted Jolla asking if there was now an arm image within the SDK instead of just a x86 one and they told me that there is so that will take care of one major issue.

win8linux

Oct 30, 2014
General Santos City
Android One port

Hi there! I'm not sure if this is where I can ask but I will, just to make sure. Could it be possible for someone to please port Sailfish OS to the Android One devices? They share nearly identical hardware (only differences are in storage).

Here are the specs:
  • Processor: Mediatek MT6582M 1.3GHz Quad Core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU
  • GPU: Mali-400 MP2
  • RAM: 1GB
  • Camera: 5.0 MP Autofocus Back Camera with LED Flash; 2.0 MP Front Camera
  • Storage: 4/8 GB (varies; categorized into sprout4 and sprout8 devices, respectively)
  • MicroSD: 32 GB max caapacity
  • Sim: Dual Micro
  • Network: 3G HSPA+, 2G EDGE and GPRS; Wi-Fi
  • Bluetooth: 4.0 with LE support
  • Location sensor: GPS with A-GPS
  • FM Radio
  • Ports: MicroUSB 2.0, 3.5mm audio jack
  • Other sensors: Gyroscope, Accelerometer, Ambient Light Sensor
  • Battery: 1,780mAh Li-ion

Don't worry about the MediaTek processor hampering sources, check Google repos for code. Also sources are updated frequently.
I want to experience Sailfish on my phone and likely other fellow Android One users. Minimal modifications necessary for sprout8-specific patches.

monasisa

Mar 26, 2019
sailfish os

hi i seen list of devices already ported using HADK some devices such as samsung they have some problem in application such as gps and fingerprint .... why these application doesnt work ?? is this problems based in sailfish error or this problems related to porters ? and hiw to fix this problems

monasisa

Mar 26, 2019
sailfish os

hi i seen list of devices already ported using HADK some devices such as samsung they have some problem in application such as gps and fingerprint .... why these application doesnt work ?? is this problems based in sailfish error or this problems related to porters ? and hiw to fix this problems

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I tried to do that a few weeks back but didn't have time to hunt down all the problems I had.
    Check out this blog:
    http://martinbrook.blogspot.com/?m=1
    There's a rough guide in one entry. Basically you need to build CM from source, apply libhybris patches and then set up Mer on top of it. When you get Mer running it should be easy to install Sailfish packages. Libhybris is a compatibility layer for Android drivers to work on normal linux. Good luck and let us know how it goes. I had troubles with building Mer image for my device. In the video you mentioned it looks like the whole patch+Mer+ sailfish packages is this second prepared zip he flashes.

Sent from my LG-P760 using Tapatalk

Well once I get my laptop back I will message you and maybe we can tag team it
    Nice..get it work!

Lähetetty minun Nexus 4 laitteesta Tapatalkilla