Wheres the Z2 Ultra?

Search This thread

tommo123

May 28, 2010
Liverpool
how do you people use the phone in the rain? mine detects the rain as finger presses and jump around like freakin crazy!
@fastest, i don't agree so much with you about the wow factor. the phone is big but battery life considering the juice the screen takes is quite poor relative (sony sacrificed battery for thinness IMO)

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
how do you people use the phone in the rain? mine detects the rain as finger presses and jump around like freakin crazy!
@fastest, i don't agree so much with you about the wow factor. the phone is big but battery life considering the juice the screen takes is quite poor relative (sony sacrificed battery for thinness IMO)

Yesterday I had 4h of screen on time, using rdp/vnc mostly and still had just a smidge under 50% battery left, so I could have done near 8h with network activity - not too bad.

Yes rain will play havoc with the screen, but at least I can take my phone fishing and not have to worry too much

luvboox

Nov 6, 2012
I've been pretty pleased with my ZU. The one thing that I thought I would have a problem with was the lack of a flash. To my surprise, I don't miss it at all. Phone flashes produce sucky pictures. If you are in a position to use a phone flash, you could just use it without a flash and it won't make it any less bad. I do, however, miss having a flash to use as a flashlight. That is seriously the only thing that I miss about not having a flash. I do hope for a better camera unit on the ZU2.

Another thing that surprised me is that I actually do value the waterproofing. I didn't think I would care much about it, but it's actually been pretty great to have a phone that I am not worried about getting a little wet. I spent the last few days with the missus in a nice hotel with a big hot tub, and I had no problems bringing my ZU in the tub to read. A non-waterprooof phone I wouldn't have dared.

The speaker is a little lame, but I see that as a consequence of being waterproof. If the ZU2 had stereo speakers that would be cool, though. Also they REALLY need to improve the quality of the earpiece speaker. When I am talking to other people they inevitably sound mushy and quiet. I don't like that at all- it's probably my biggest gripe about the phone.

Another gripe I have is that the oleophobic coating rubs right off the phone pretty quickly. I haven't had mine for too long, but it is easy to see where I have rubbed the oleophobic coating off, because fingerprints show up like crazy, and water spreads out in the worn-out spots rather than beading up. I would like for them to do something about that in the ZU2.

I have no problem with the battery. Sure, I'd love to see a 4000 mAH battery in the next ZU, even if they had to make it a little thicker (7.5mm for example), but either way it's not a big deal-breaker for me.

I also would not want to go any bigger than the current ZU in physical size. If they can fit a bigger screen in the same size, or maybe even give us a slightly smaller size with the same size screen, that's great. But if the physical dimensions get much bigger I'm afraid I would have to upgrade to a different phone.

All in all, I am quite happy with my ZU, and I think it beats all current phones on the market for my use case. If the ZU2 improves on a few things that I have mentioned then I will snap it up, no questions asked.

tommo123

May 28, 2010
Liverpool
i want a flash but don't agree with your 1st paragraph. there are situations (low light,movement) that flash makes it a workable picture vs a dark/blurry mess due to movement.

Reactions: asadkhanduhh

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sony have updated their Z1 and Tablet Z. When are we expecting a Z2 Ultra?
    The improvement might be too minimal i guess. It is like they already reached the maximum size for a phone. Bigger than that it's a tablet. The only improvement they can do might be related to the camera but that's it. Maybe lower power ips screen will be nice to have (I'm not sure if the z ultra screen is really ips, because at some angle, the loss of contrast is still there but still far better than Z1, plus sony never mention ips about z ultra screen, only starting from Z1C) and negligible performance gain with newer soc. Other than that, the Z Ultra is still very much adequate for my needs.

Sent from my C6802 using xda app-developers app
    Yeah there is not much that can be done with the Ultra to make it better really. \

Huh?
    A flash and brighter screen for starters.
    Z Ultra is obscenely behind the times in these two categories when compared with less expensive and even older superphones.
    Huh?
    A flash and brighter screen for starters.
    Z Ultra is obscenely behind the times in these two categories when compared with less expensive and even older superphones.

The Screen is very bright imo, How much bright do you want it to be? Or in other term, how much faster do you want the battery to go down the drain? If i bring it outdoor it's perfectly readable in sunlight, and plus the auto brightness works perfectly.

Sent from my C6802 using xda app-developers app
    Are you serious?! And it brings up another weak point. The battery.
    Maybe *you're* happy with it and that's all that matters.
    But the phone is about 1/2 as bright in the sunlight when compared to the Note 3.
    And the battery is only about 75% as efficient when compared to the Note 3.

And I call BS on you saying your phone is "perfectly readable in the sunlight".
    My S4 is brighter than your phone and I have trouble viewing it when the sun is shining down on it.

Look, the Z Ultra is a very good phone.
    But it's still heavily outshined by current phones and thus, "doesn't really need any update" is an illogical argument.

Note 3:

"The biggest improvement, however, is brightness. The Note 3 can achieve up to 400 nits of brightness in most conditions, on par with the best LCDs out there. Moreover, outdoors, the Note 3 can deliver a whopping 660 nits of brightness, 40 percent more than the Galaxy S4 and around 10 percent more than the iPhone 5s. The screen is less reflective, which helps outdoor visibility as well."

Z Ultra:

"The display is also sufficiently luminant, at 445 nits peak brightness measured, and with good antireflectance coating, plus the OptiContrast tech that bonds the cover glass to the LCD panel underneath delivers a more direct way for the backlight to go through. This further increases brightness, contrast and outdoor visibility in general, which is on par with the best mobile displays out there, like those on the HTC One or the iPhone 5."

You are really exaggerating. Also, the battery is actually very good. I don't know if you've checked the battery thread, but people are getting good times. My personal record is 8 hours of screen time. How is THAT bad? "And the battery is only about 75% as efficient when compared to the Note 3". Oh? You don't say. Is the Note's battery bigger than the Ultra's? Yes. Will it last longer than a smaller battery? Yes. How is this surprising to you?