[GAME] Tap Crazy

Search This thread

seedload

Jan 12, 2011
I am interested in people's opinion on my game "Tap Crazy". You don't get enough feedback from the Market on particular issues on particular phones. Let me know what you think. There is a free tutorial only version of the game.

Apparently, as a new user, I can't post any links, so go visit exit4gaming dot com to see screens of the game and a video if you are interested. Not sure on the rules for screens, so, to be safe I won't post them for now.

This isn't a sales pitch. I really am interested in feedback from other developers.

Thanks.

Tap Crazy

A frantic game of tapping insanity.

Pop the balls by tapping them before they reach the top of the screen. But don’t pop your friends as the race to the bottom. As the numbers increase, everyone starts bouncing off of everyone else. It is your job to sort through the ensuing comic mayhem. Five distinct enemy types. Tons of fun! Visit the market today to download Tap Crazy!

Game Features
  • OpenGL 3D Graphics.
  • Outstanding ball animation and movement.
  • Spectacular particle graphics system that fills the screen with destruction.
  • Four game modes – Tutorial, Normal, Hard, and Insane.
  • Graphics setting (High, Medium, and Low) for different levels of phones.
  • Swipe to pause system to pause the game while playing
  • Automatic pause when getting a call or going to the home screen.
  • Wave based gameplay. Play a wave whenever you have a minute.
  • Single save feature keeps progress while maintaining high score integrity.
  • Scoreloop high scores.
Good Guys
  • Green Balls – get points for every Green Ball that reaches the bottom. Don’t tap ‘em.

Bad Guys
  • Red Balls – simple to kill with one tap but plentiful in numbers.
  • Yellow Balls - Faster and blast through green balls to get to the top.
  • Armor Balls – Red has put on armor. Break through the armor to get to the meat below.
  • Purple Balls – On each tap, they divide. Get ‘em quick or look out.
  • Pink Balls – These magical balls switch places with Green balls when they are tapped.

device10-1.png

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR A VIDEO

Last edited:

SterAllures

Sep 4, 2008
Like the game, like it when the bubbles pop and the fact it has a scoreboard!

I would consider changing the main menu, the graphics aren't great and the Logo is in a different background color then the surrounding stuff. Will play it tomorrow when I've got some more time ;).

Tested on HTC Desire.
Keep up the good work!

QR Code of the free version of the game:
img.php

Last edited:

slmclarengt

Dec 1, 2008
WA and CA
I understand why the game has most permissions, except why users should grant a game access to read contact data. Can you justify this permission requirement for us?

Reactions: seedload

seedload

Jan 12, 2011
I was using Scoreloop V1.1 which requires this permission because it lets you find friends from the contacts. I couldn't leave out that permission or SL would crash if someone tried to do it.

I am currently upgrading to SL 2.1 which has thankfully provided a way of disabling its find friends from contacts ability without much trouble, so I will be deleting that permission. Agree, it is stupid for a game to need that.

Regards

britoso

Jan 13, 2010
Orlando
Wow really nice game. I'm loving the old school arcade feel.

Can the balls be antialiased more/made shiny? or will that degrade performance?

I noticed the power button does not put the phone in standby when the game is active, is that a feature?

seedload

Jan 12, 2011

I noticed the power button does not put the phone in standby when the game is active, is that a feature?

Not sure what you mean by antialiased more. I am not using mip mapped textures if that is what you mean. Made shiny is a possiblity, but, like all things Open GL on Android, it is tough to make that commitment with a game because so many different phones have so many different behaviors.

The ball detail can be made better by switching to "high fx" in the main menu. Basically, in high fx mode, the balls have 4 times the number of triangles. The explosions are super spectacular in that mode. Runs great in that mode on Droid X and Galaxy S level phones or better. Is passable on original Droid at 25-35 FPS.

BTW, for anyone out there playing, there is a trick to displaying FPS (frames per second). In the main menu, hold your finger on the upper left corner of the screen for 10 seconds or more and then release. FPS will appear in the upper left and stay there while you play. It would be nice to know what kinds of FPS different phones get.

On my original Droid, I get between 35-45 while playing at Med Fx and between 25 and 35 at High fx. On a Droid Pro, it runs at over 60 in High Fx. There is also a low fx for anyone with phones that can't hang. No lighting and super low poly balls and explosions.

The app uses wake lock to keep the screen alive. Not sure why your phone doesn't put the phone in standby when you press the power button. Mine does. Probably it is phone dependent on how they implement the wake lock feature. What happens on mine is that I get the screen lock and when I unlock, Tap Crazy comes back up paused.

The game automatically pauses when you press home or get a call or something. When you resume, it should come back up paused. Makes it nice to play a little and not worry about getting interrupted. You can also manually pause by swiping the screen. Game is saved between waves to also allow quick hitting type of play where you can resume the game whenever you have a minute.

Reactions: britoso

CSL00

Aug 24, 2010
Rio de Janeiro
Works great on htc Hero on medium setting, high lags a little but that's to be expected. Tested on FroydVillain 1.7.2 (2.2.1) and Tegro 2.4 (2.1 update 1) both on flykernel 12a @576 mhz (and OpenGL 1.1 mod) . One thing i noticed is that i have to tap slightly above the balls to burst them other than that great game, my touch screen is working flawless so maybe it's something with hvga devices or specific to the Hero or the ROMs i use. getting 33 to 60 on medium and 16 to 20 on high.

Last edited:

seedload

Jan 12, 2011
Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I just uploaded a 1.2 version to fix a couple of things, at least one of which came directly from these comments. Your comments help a lot. Please let me know if there are any other issues you have seen.

Here are the release notes:

Removed need for Check Contacts permission.
Upgraded to Scoreloop 2.1
Added connecting popup when launching scores.
Fixed various Start/Resume/End game issues.
Fixed infinite score cheat.

BTW, still looking for FPS on different phones or if you have any particular problems on any phone!

Last edited:

jdwis

Feb 18, 2010
I am using VR 12 ROM, while installing this game thru market it didnt get installed but gave following error -
Installation error
Package file invalid
??

elracing21

Apr 11, 2009
Bronx
Ok my phones info is in my sig, I get 57-60 frame rate throughout the game nothing less on high fx. I did notice this game makes my phone extremely hott. Not even dungeon defenders makes my phone this warm but it doesn't bother me I'm just sharing my thoughts. Plus I'm only clocked at 1ghz at the moment not the 1.5ghz my kernel allows me.

Overall the game is insanely fun and addicting. I love the scoreboard implementation I'm currently 3rd and am planning on buying the full version. Props for the affordable prices. The only negative is the hit detection is a bit off for me and I don't get all the sound fx when popping the purple duplicates. I also have trouble hitting the pink when they are close to green. Seems as if they switch places before touching I could be wrong tho. I think that's all I love the game and am willing to support you if some of these issues can be looked at.

Thanks for another great game on the market. =)

EDIT: I forgot to mention the menu looks of low quality compared to the game, the popups after each level look similar. But this doesn't hinder performance or what I think of the game this is just voicing my opinion.

HTC Vision S-OFF CM6.1 Stable Oc'd to 1.5ghz on Pershoots Kernel :)

seedload

Jan 12, 2011
Ok my phones info is in my sig, I get 57-60 frame rate throughout the game nothing less on high fx. I did notice this game makes my phone extremely hott. Not even dungeon defenders makes my phone this warm but it doesn't bother me I'm just sharing my thoughts. Plus I'm only clocked at 1ghz at the moment not the 1.5ghz my kernel allows me.

Overall the game is insanely fun and addicting. I love the scoreboard implementation I'm currently 3rd and am planning on buying the full version. Props for the affordable prices. The only negative is the hit detection is a bit off for me and I don't get all the sound fx when popping the purple duplicates. I also have trouble hitting the pink when they are close to green. Seems as if they switch places before touching I could be wrong tho. I think that's all I love the game and am willing to support you if some of these issues can be looked at.

Thanks for another great game on the market. =)

EDIT: I forgot to mention the menu looks of low quality compared to the game, the popups after each level look similar. But this doesn't hinder performance or what I think of the game this is just voicing my opinion.

OK, great comments. Thanks.

On hit detection, there might be a small issue with perspective causing the hits to be a little off. I am looking at that. If it is there, it is only minor but I will address in a future release. I don't think you are right about the pink issue. Pink actually wait 50 msec before switching with the green, so the switch is late, not early. This is intentional to mitigate the accidental pink double tap that would kill a green. There is currently no sound on a purple divide, only on a purple kill. If there is a tight group of purple all at the kill stage, sometimes the sounds cancel for some reason. I'll look at that. I tried purple divide sounds - but sometimes it is too much if you know what I mean - same with bouncing sounds which I eventually omitted.

Your the second person to knock my menu:) LOL. One thing about the menu is that I did reduce the resolution of the underlying graphics by half to cut the apk size substantially (takes out 1.2 Mb). I took screen shots afterwards and there was only a slight difference in the appearance that I didn't judge as that bad, so the reduced apk size won out in the end. Only thing I think looks really bad right now is the paused sign. But, I am probably very wrong on screens with super high resolutions like tablets. I hate these kind of tradeoffs, but it is a phone app. I may play with animating the menu a little to try to distract you from the low resolution:)

Let me know if you are reacting to the resolution or to the artistic quality. I think the later, which is all good, but I just wanted to make sure I got you right.

Thanks for the comments and the support. I think you will be happy if you get the full version. The full version has three new modes of 30 waves each with each wave having different mixtures of balls that makes them play uniquely - personally, I find the yellow and armored wave to be a particularly hard combo. Wave 8 is all yellow, which is a spectacular amount of destruction.

Each difficulty has its own saved game, so you can switch back and forth between difficulties without losing your progress in another.

Thanks again and yes I will try to address all that I can. Keeping notes.

Charlie

elracing21

Apr 11, 2009
Bronx
OK, great comments. Thanks.

On hit detection, there might be a small issue with perspective causing the hits to be a little off. I am looking at that. If it is there, it is only minor but I will address in a future release. I don't think you are right about the pink issue. Pink actually wait 50 msec before switching with the green, so the switch is late, not early. This is intentional to mitigate the accidental pink double tap that would kill a green. There is currently no sound on a purple divide, only on a purple kill. If there is a tight group of purple all at the kill stage, sometimes the sounds cancel for some reason. I'll look at that. I tried purple divide sounds - but sometimes it is too much if you know what I mean - same with bouncing sounds which I eventually omitted.

Your the second person to knock my menu:) LOL. One thing about the menu is that I did reduce the resolution of the underlying graphics by half to cut the apk size substantially (takes out 1.2 Mb). I took screen shots afterwards and there was only a slight difference in the appearance that I didn't judge as that bad, so the reduced apk size won out in the end. Only thing I think looks really bad right now is the paused sign. But, I am probably very wrong on screens with super high resolutions like tablets. I hate these kind of tradeoffs, but it is a phone app. I may play with animating the menu a little to try to distract you from the low resolution:)

Let me know if you are reacting to the resolution or to the artistic quality. I think the later, which is all good, but I just wanted to make sure I got you right.

Thanks for the comments and the support. I think you will be happy if you get the full version. The full version has three new modes of 30 waves each with each wave having different mixtures of balls that makes them play uniquely - personally, I find the yellow and armored wave to be a particularly hard combo. Wave 8 is all yellow, which is a spectacular amount of destruction.

Each difficulty has its own saved game, so you can switch back and forth between difficulties without losing your progress in another.

Thanks again and yes I will try to address all that I can. Keeping notes.

Charlie

Yes hit detection is there but it IS very minor as you mentioned. The thing is when things are hectic and I miss I have to follow that missed until I get it. Maybe its an OCD thing but I get crazy lol thanks tho for acknowledging.

I went back to observe the pink/green trading places and your right its slightly delayed to avoid killing green. Thanks for stating that and sorry but I was wrong.

The missing sound sometimes throw me off when it gets a tad bit hectic lol. I always know when I popped one when the sound is there. Maybe you can hinder the sound of red since they are the easiest and almost always make the purple, pink, armored have sound? Idk if that will even work or if its just me but when I don't get the sound I tend to tap the same place 2x just incase I don't see it under my finger (I got big thumbs).

When it comes to the menu it could be the resolution that throws it off lol. I didn't mean to be harsh about it =P it does look like the pictures and designs looked good when they were small and you just blew up the size so I'm guessing its the resolution and not the artistic design.

When it comes to artistic design idc much about that stuff. Others might but I dont, maybe its just all the different colors with the low-res text throws the design all off so If anything you can email me some screenies after you mess with them and I can give you my honest opinion.

Maybe play with both a little and post screenshots and let us vote between what looks best? Would be pretty cool getting your supporters involved in that.

Well sir considering you actually took your time to respond to all of my comments I have purchased the full game, its a great game and its off to a great start. I'm going to try to be number one in the scoreboard =P I'm jayvee21 on there if anyone wants to add me go right ahead.

seedload

Jan 12, 2011
Wow everyone. Hit location is off by a whopping 90 percent!

Its not that bad because you have two radii to hit a bad guy and because, since it is off by a percentage rather than a fixed distance, it is worse towards the edges than the center. Top of the screen hit registers high. Bottom, registers low. It is a bug in translation from screen to world coordinates. I will fix in next release. Day or two. Also will include tiny miss graphic to show location of misses.

I also have a couple little start/resune bugs to correct, like dying wave1 is a bad thing.

Thabks. Comments are helping a great deal,

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am interested in people's opinion on my game "Tap Crazy". You don't get enough feedback from the Market on particular issues on particular phones. Let me know what you think. There is a free tutorial only version of the game.

Apparently, as a new user, I can't post any links, so go visit exit4gaming dot com to see screens of the game and a video if you are interested. Not sure on the rules for screens, so, to be safe I won't post them for now.

This isn't a sales pitch. I really am interested in feedback from other developers.

Thanks.

Tap Crazy

A frantic game of tapping insanity.

Pop the balls by tapping them before they reach the top of the screen. But don’t pop your friends as the race to the bottom. As the numbers increase, everyone starts bouncing off of everyone else. It is your job to sort through the ensuing comic mayhem. Five distinct enemy types. Tons of fun! Visit the market today to download Tap Crazy!

Game Features
    • OpenGL 3D Graphics.
    • Outstanding ball animation and movement.
    • Spectacular particle graphics system that fills the screen with destruction.
    • Four game modes – Tutorial, Normal, Hard, and Insane.
    • Graphics setting (High, Medium, and Low) for different levels of phones.
    • Swipe to pause system to pause the game while playing
    • Automatic pause when getting a call or going to the home screen.
    • Wave based gameplay. Play a wave whenever you have a minute.
    • Single save feature keeps progress while maintaining high score integrity.
    • Scoreloop high scores.
    Good Guys
    • Green Balls – get points for every Green Ball that reaches the bottom. Don’t tap ‘em.

Bad Guys
    • Red Balls – simple to kill with one tap but plentiful in numbers.
    • Yellow Balls - Faster and blast through green balls to get to the top.
    • Armor Balls – Red has put on armor. Break through the armor to get to the meat below.
    • Purple Balls – On each tap, they divide. Get ‘em quick or look out.
    • Pink Balls – These magical balls switch places with Green balls when they are tapped.

device10-1.png

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR A VIDEO
    I understand why the game has most permissions, except why users should grant a game access to read contact data. Can you justify this permission requirement for us?

Not sure what you mean by antialiased more. I am not using mip mapped textures if that is what you mean. Made shiny is a possiblity, but, like all things Open GL on Android, it is tough to make that commitment with a game because so many different phones have so many different behaviors.

The ball detail can be made better by switching to "high fx" in the main menu. Basically, in high fx mode, the balls have 4 times the number of triangles. The explosions are super spectacular in that mode. Runs great in that mode on Droid X and Galaxy S level phones or better. Is passable on original Droid at 25-35 FPS.

BTW, for anyone out there playing, there is a trick to displaying FPS (frames per second). In the main menu, hold your finger on the upper left corner of the screen for 10 seconds or more and then release. FPS will appear in the upper left and stay there while you play. It would be nice to know what kinds of FPS different phones get.

On my original Droid, I get between 35-45 while playing at Med Fx and between 25 and 35 at High fx. On a Droid Pro, it runs at over 60 in High Fx. There is also a low fx for anyone with phones that can't hang. No lighting and super low poly balls and explosions.

The app uses wake lock to keep the screen alive. Not sure why your phone doesn't put the phone in standby when you press the power button. Mine does. Probably it is phone dependent on how they implement the wake lock feature. What happens on mine is that I get the screen lock and when I unlock, Tap Crazy comes back up paused.

The game automatically pauses when you press home or get a call or something. When you resume, it should come back up paused. Makes it nice to play a little and not worry about getting interrupted. You can also manually pause by swiping the screen. Game is saved between waves to also allow quick hitting type of play where you can resume the game whenever you have a minute.
    Works great on htc Hero on medium setting, high lags a little but that's to be expected. Tested on FroydVillain 1.7.2 (2.2.1) and Tegro 2.4 (2.1 update 1) both on flykernel 12a @576 mhz (and OpenGL 1.1 mod) . One thing i noticed is that i have to tap slightly above the balls to burst them other than that great game, my touch screen is working flawless so maybe it's something with hvga devices or specific to the Hero or the ROMs i use. getting 33 to 60 on medium and 16 to 20 on high.