[Request] Getting Linux Distro Assistance

Search This thread

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
Made this thread so I can stop spamming the other threads with my annoying questions.

This thread is pointed towards someone that can help out by telling us how to get a Linux Distro runnning specifically on Fire TV.
So if anyone knows how,please assist us by doing so.

My main goal is to get a Linux distro with the extra capability of running Windows programs like PJ64 and many other great Windows programs.
First thing is,I need to know which one is absolutely the best one for running Windows programs at top performance through VM,Wine,etc.

I need this really,really badly.

*talks in your ear*
Really,really,badly.:D

meadtj

May 2, 2014
Made this thread so I can stop spamming the other threads with my annoying questions.

This thread is pointed towards someone that can help out by telling us how to get a Linux Distro runnning specifically on Fire TV.
So if anyone knows how,please assist us by doing so.

My main goal is to get a Linux distro with the extra capability of running Windows programs like PJ64 and many other great Windows programs.
First thing is,I need to know which one is absolutely the best one for running Windows programs at top performance through VM,Wine,etc.

I need this really,really badly.

*talks in your ear*
Really,really,badly.:D

Why do you need PJ64? is there some n64 game you are super obsessed with? most of the android emulators work very well on most games

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
Banjo-Tooie runs slower on Android than on PJ64,always causes a random exit,and always freezes when trying to enter the unga cave.
With PJ64,I should get much better speed and never have the same Mupen related issues.

I also have a bad experience of Majora's Mask getting its save data permanently corrupted time and time again on any edition of Mupen for Android.

There is also tons of benefits with not only Linux,but Windows usage as well.
I can do thing that the Android OS can't do such as:Multiple Windowed programs,yellow highlight text and better flash in a web browser,and more importantly,the right click function using my K400r for things like Flash Player real-time quality toggle.
Hopefully all of these things can work when done on a Fire TV with Linux plus Windows non-emulation.

I do have a massive 32GB USB stick for storing whatever I need.
I also hope someone finds the actual Fire TV equivalent to the USB stick mounting function so you no longer need to use a seperate app to mount/unmount your storage manually.

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
Since it might not even get that far if I don't,here's some links to one nice thing,especially since now it made all features free and removed all ads. (even though I can block them with AdBlock Plus)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zpwebsites.linuxonandroid

And the main website...

http://linuxonandroid.org/

I hope to at least get a fully enough functional Linux for the desktop computer charm with right clicking for a real context menu.
Maybe there is a Windows lover's Linux Distro for any other method that looks and almost feels exactly like Windows XP or Win7.

Edit:Also,the XDA development thread for it.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1585009

And the Q&A thread as well.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2161234

Last edited:

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
If anyone ever finds out how to get any form of Linux running,we will also need a way to delete the massive 2GB of Amazon's video caching to make up for the large amount of space needed for the Linux installation.

I still have a burning desire for desktop quality functionality on my Fire TV.
I am sure that many others might feel the same way.

In some wild dilusional chance,does anyone think that goat simulator (at least the older one) could run on Fire TV (then again,newer versions can be more polished) if we got access to running Windows programs?

mastafunk

Aug 31, 2011
Undisclosed Swamp Location, FL
If anyone ever finds out how to get any form of Linux running,we will also need a way to delete the massive 2GB of Amazon's video caching to make up for the large amount of space needed for the Linux installation.

I still have a burning desire for desktop quality functionality on my Fire TV.
I am sure that many others might feel the same way.

In some wild dilusional chance,does anyone think that goat simulator (at least the older one) could run on Fire TV (then again,newer versions can be more polished) if we got access to running Windows programs?

As someone pointed out earlier even if we get linux your odds of running winxx are pretty slim as we are on an arm architecture.
Any VM type situation would only work for arm code and there is no windows arm. (well a long time ago there was an arm NT).