[ROM][S3] BackToBasics_v3 (based on RUU_VILLEC2_U_ICS_40_HTC_Europe_1.11.401.110)

Search This thread

qzem

Jun 23, 2010
So here we go I can say finally I managed to produce firs custom rom for our beloved HTC One S C2 (I called it this way cause that is how on gsmarena.net is presented). If we ever get a sub forum this is how I suggest it is called. It is not very special rom, but it is a start. cause I don't like bloatware on my phone, I've tried to remove as many unnecessary stuff as I could remember, and I could miss.

Since this is my very first rom I've build with kitchen (for public use at least), don't be to harsh on me. I will try to improve it, and remove even more sens components, cause I just prefer stock experience.

You will need android sdk on you computer (you may know it as adb shell)

REQUIREMENTS
Unlocked Bootloader and Root access
TWRP Recovery

INSTALLATION

1. Download the ROM, extract only boot.img where you have android-sdk installed installed in folder platform-tools
2. Make a backup of your apps with Titanium backup or other similar app (so that you can restore them after flashing my rom)
3. Boot into Recovery (with GooManager, or restart phone and hold volume down, when in fastboot choose recovery with volume down and press power button)
4. Make a BACKUP in recovery!
5. WIPE! Do a factory reset and System wipe
6. "install zip from sdcard"
7. "choose zip from sdcard"
8. Flash the ROM
9. Go back to the main menu of recovery, choos reboot, and then reboot to bootloader.
10. Flash kernel with Command prompt (go into direcotry where you have extracted boot.img) and run:

(step by step guide)

Short version:
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot reboot

11. Wait until android boots up, it will take a few mintues (5-10), because it is deodexed, but only first boot takes longer after that it is normal.

What is working:

Since this is sense based rom all the functionality should work (calling, texting, mobile data, GPS, wifi, bluetooth, camera, etc)

POSSIBLE PROBLEMS:

- There might be some reports of some services stop executing, this is nothing to worry about, it would just be something that I have removed cause it is only sens based and drains battery, but it should impact with phone experience.

- Due to all HTC widgets removal, not all the lockscreen options are functional (like people).

FUTURE:

I hope I'll have time and the will to make this rom to look and feel almost as an AOSP based (that is with statusbar, lockscreen, dialer, settings, etc). But I am still learning so don't expect to much. If there is themer among you or modder, I would really apperaciate some help with this stuff. Together we can make this something :)! I would also need some mirror if this rom will become popular.

WARRINING:

This rom is for HTC One S with S3 processor only!!!

Flashing any kind of custom rom voids your warranty, and it could brick your phone. I am not responsible if this happens to you. So you flash this software completely at your own risk!

That being said here is the download link.

BackToBasics_v1

BackToBasics_v2:
(you have to downloade both rar files in sam folder and then extract from .part1, it will extract flashable .zip)

PART 1
PART 2

BackToBasics_V3

If you are coming from lower version of this rom, just make backup, wipe cache, flash rom and you are good to go. No need to factory reset (data wipe) or system wipe in this case :)

THANKS TO:

- dsixda for his amazing rom kitchen
- torxx for his update-binary and updater-script
- Chainfire for SuperSU
- PaulOBrien for his superboot, which provide us root
- Tesla Coil software for Nova Launcher
- Estrogen Inc. for File explorer
- everyone else that makes this community so good!

If I forgot somebody important please forgive me and let me know, I will immediately add him or her.

Last edited:

qzem

Jun 23, 2010
[ROM][S3] BackToBasics_v2 (based on RUU_VILLEC2_U_ICS_40_HTC_Europe_1.11.401.110)

About rom:

v3:

- HTC Lockscreen widgets enabled (People, Weather, FriendStream, etc)
- HTC Locksreen shortcuts re-enabled with application Lockscreen Shortcut (thanks to itandy)
- Added missing Gallery
- Updated SuperSU an Su binary
- Updated ES File Manager
- Added GooManager for easy rom flashing and backing up

v2:

- root access now works
- WIFI problem solved
- Camera problem solved
- added Busybox free application
- removed boot sound (it really annoys me)

v1:

- Based on RUU_VILLEC2_U_ICS_40_HTC_Europe_1.11.401.110
- All originally included languages are in there
- Deodexed
- Zipaligned
- Rooted with SuperSU
- Added busybox run parts
- Removed Rosie launcher and replaced with Nova Launcher (free version)
- Included ES File Explorer
- Insecure boot.img (stock kernel) -> adb shell root enabled
- A lot of build.prop tweaks
- Added /data/app/ functionality
- /etc/init.d script support
- custom bootanimation support (but for now I've kept original boot animation)
- 95 removed apps (all sens widgets and other stuff)!

Last edited:

lykos

Aug 23, 2011
OnePlus 8
Congratulations for the first S3 rom :]

EDIT: I noticed that you didn't claim two posts. So if you need to expand the content to this post just send me a PM and I will add it to this post erasing my content.

Last edited:
Reactions: qzem

kiraew

Aug 12, 2011
I having a super hard time connecting my wifi ... stuck at obtaining IP address all the time !! :(

kiraew

Aug 12, 2011
Alright , I found a solution for wifi obtaining IP address problem .

This is just a temp way to do it .

go to ur specific wifi , long press it . Click show show advance option . and choose static IP . Key in the data .

It connect successful . qzem , try to find what is the problem for cant obtaining ip automatically . It would be quite suffer when wanna use public wifi :(

kiraew

Aug 12, 2011
Problem at my devices :

1) Can't save picture after took picture using camera app .
2) superusers got problem , can't get permission for the apps .
3 ) wifi cant get ip address automatically . ( have to manual set up static ip )

Reactions: qzem

qzem

Jun 23, 2010
I will get to debugging and trying to fixing problems on monday,cause I am on camping for weekend with my buddies :).

Sent from my HTC One S using xda app-developers app

Reactions: stylus1828

onlinechi

Jun 25, 2008
Any chance its possible to remove the 3 button menu and remap menu to long hold home?

Sent from my HTC One S using xda premium

qzem

Jun 23, 2010
Try this WIFI fix and report if it works. I am gonna test soon. And if it does I will include it in next version.

Is this mode available for One S? This would be first thing I would like to change for sure :good:

There is some info HERE

I can include this, but I will read a little more, to see if it is worth it.

EDIT: Good news I've solved WIFI and root problems. Will upload new build tommorow, cause I most probably I won't have enaught time today.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So here we go I can say finally I managed to produce firs custom rom for our beloved HTC One S C2 (I called it this way cause that is how on gsmarena.net is presented). If we ever get a sub forum this is how I suggest it is called. It is not very special rom, but it is a start. cause I don't like bloatware on my phone, I've tried to remove as many unnecessary stuff as I could remember, and I could miss.

Since this is my very first rom I've build with kitchen (for public use at least), don't be to harsh on me. I will try to improve it, and remove even more sens components, cause I just prefer stock experience.

You will need android sdk on you computer (you may know it as adb shell)

REQUIREMENTS
    Unlocked Bootloader and Root access
    TWRP Recovery

INSTALLATION

1. Download the ROM, extract only boot.img where you have android-sdk installed installed in folder platform-tools
    2. Make a backup of your apps with Titanium backup or other similar app (so that you can restore them after flashing my rom)
    3. Boot into Recovery (with GooManager, or restart phone and hold volume down, when in fastboot choose recovery with volume down and press power button)
    4. Make a BACKUP in recovery!
    5. WIPE! Do a factory reset and System wipe
    6. "install zip from sdcard"
    7. "choose zip from sdcard"
    8. Flash the ROM
    9. Go back to the main menu of recovery, choos reboot, and then reboot to bootloader.
    10. Flash kernel with Command prompt (go into direcotry where you have extracted boot.img) and run:

(step by step guide)

Short version:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot reboot

11. Wait until android boots up, it will take a few mintues (5-10), because it is deodexed, but only first boot takes longer after that it is normal.

What is working:

Since this is sense based rom all the functionality should work (calling, texting, mobile data, GPS, wifi, bluetooth, camera, etc)

POSSIBLE PROBLEMS:

- There might be some reports of some services stop executing, this is nothing to worry about, it would just be something that I have removed cause it is only sens based and drains battery, but it should impact with phone experience.

- Due to all HTC widgets removal, not all the lockscreen options are functional (like people).

FUTURE:

I hope I'll have time and the will to make this rom to look and feel almost as an AOSP based (that is with statusbar, lockscreen, dialer, settings, etc). But I am still learning so don't expect to much. If there is themer among you or modder, I would really apperaciate some help with this stuff. Together we can make this something :)! I would also need some mirror if this rom will become popular.

WARRINING:

This rom is for HTC One S with S3 processor only!!!

Flashing any kind of custom rom voids your warranty, and it could brick your phone. I am not responsible if this happens to you. So you flash this software completely at your own risk!

That being said here is the download link.

BackToBasics_v1

BackToBasics_v2:
    (you have to downloade both rar files in sam folder and then extract from .part1, it will extract flashable .zip)

PART 1
    PART 2

BackToBasics_V3

If you are coming from lower version of this rom, just make backup, wipe cache, flash rom and you are good to go. No need to factory reset (data wipe) or system wipe in this case :)

THANKS TO:

- dsixda for his amazing rom kitchen
    - torxx for his update-binary and updater-script
    - Chainfire for SuperSU
    - PaulOBrien for his superboot, which provide us root
    - Tesla Coil software for Nova Launcher
    - Estrogen Inc. for File explorer
    - everyone else that makes this community so good!

If I forgot somebody important please forgive me and let me know, I will immediately add him or her.
    [ROM][S3] BackToBasics_v2 (based on RUU_VILLEC2_U_ICS_40_HTC_Europe_1.11.401.110)

About rom:

v3:

- HTC Lockscreen widgets enabled (People, Weather, FriendStream, etc)
    - HTC Locksreen shortcuts re-enabled with application Lockscreen Shortcut (thanks to itandy)
    - Added missing Gallery
    - Updated SuperSU an Su binary
    - Updated ES File Manager
    - Added GooManager for easy rom flashing and backing up

v2:

- root access now works
    - WIFI problem solved
    - Camera problem solved
    - added Busybox free application
    - removed boot sound (it really annoys me)

v1:

- Based on RUU_VILLEC2_U_ICS_40_HTC_Europe_1.11.401.110
    - All originally included languages are in there
    - Deodexed
    - Zipaligned
    - Rooted with SuperSU
    - Added busybox run parts
    - Removed Rosie launcher and replaced with Nova Launcher (free version)
    - Included ES File Explorer
    - Insecure boot.img (stock kernel) -> adb shell root enabled
    - A lot of build.prop tweaks
    - Added /data/app/ functionality
    - /etc/init.d script support
    - custom bootanimation support (but for now I've kept original boot animation)
    - 95 removed apps (all sens widgets and other stuff)!
    RUU_VILLEC2_U_ICS_40_S_HTC_Europe_2.15.401.100 (4.0.4 / Sense 4.1) Please :(

I will make a new version next week.

Sent from my HTC One S using xda app-developers app
    I will make TrickDroid today, no need to copy my updater-script for that then
    Try this WIFI fix and report if it works. I am gonna test soon. And if it does I will include it in next version.

Is this mode available for One S? This would be first thing I would like to change for sure :good:

There is some info HERE

I can include this, but I will read a little more, to see if it is worth it.

EDIT: Good news I've solved WIFI and root problems. Will upload new build tommorow, cause I most probably I won't have enaught time today.