[Q] WiFi calling on a&tt varient.

Search This thread

gigamchz

Jun 26, 2010
Hey guys. I have become increasingly frustrated with having no way to root this phone coming from a nexus in favor of battery life.
I was wondering if getting an ATT version and using it on t-mo towers is a good option seeing as that one is rootable. The thing I'd like to keep is WiFi calling as my office is a dead zone. Is the WiFi calling part of the radio? Is it hard ware specific? Just wanting some light shed on this issue. Thanks.

gigamchz

Jun 26, 2010
Why not just root? It is possible and fairly painless.

I've been scared by the downgrade process and seeing multiple people have bricked devices. I've also seen two different ways of doing it. I can't seem to find this TOT method everyone says works great and the other method with the kdz seems dangerous at best. Maybe you could share with me the safest way to go about getting root?

Froid

Apr 5, 2012
somewhere
Not sure how they bricked, but if you follow the directions you'll be fine. The TOT method is the way to go imo. I downgraded, rooted, flashed recovery, rom and SuperSU in less than 15 minutes. Well worth it. Here's the link to the TOT method. Just scroll down til you see it.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=45293512

rishidhar

Mar 20, 2007
I was in a similar situation. I rooted, flashed this t-mobile stock debloated rom:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2688981

Make sure to flash a D800 kernel for 4.4.2 and you should be good to go. The rom contains a t-mobile D801 kernel and if you simply flash the rom, you won't be able to boot into it and the phone will be softbricked.

I was able to use Wifi-calling after doing all of the above on an AT&T LG G2. I was also able to use t-mobile LTE so looks like the G2 is pretty flexible.

Not sure how they bricked, but if you follow the directions you'll be fine. The TOT method is the way to go imo. I downgraded, rooted, flashed recovery, rom and SuperSU in less than 15 minutes. Well worth it. Here's the link to the TOT method. Just scroll down til you see it.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=45293512

The thing I'd like to keep is WiFi calling as my office is a dead zone. Is the WiFi calling part of the radio? Is it hard ware specific? Just wanting some light shed on this issue. Thanks.

You can't use WiFi calling with an AT&T or any other SIM. WiFi calling (a necessity for me here in this valley with horrid coverage, but right over the in L.A. signal is fantastic)) is a proprietary, locked and restricted feature exclusive to (some) T-Mo branded devices with T-Mo kernels and T-Mo SIMS. There is no way around this.

In fact, I just read that TMOUS WiFi calling will finally be included in iOS 8 for T-Mo branded iPhones. My wife and her iPhone 5 has to stand in the front yard in order to take calls without dropping. I just laugh, but she has to have her iPhone.

Last edited: