Pebble Battery Drain on Phone?

Search This thread

lathamc

Jun 29, 2012
I know that the Pebble only uses 5-10% of the phone's battery because of Bluetooth, but how much battery will the Pebble app, Pebble Notifier, and like three other Pebble apps use? Will they use minimal battery life (about 2-5%?

Thanks!

P.S. I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S4.

PsychDrummer

Nov 29, 2012
I haven't seen it in my battery stats either using a N5. Even if it does take a bit of battery, remember that you're most likely going to be looking at your phone less and the constant lock/unlock should improve your battery.

Scottbee

Jan 8, 2014
I haven't seen it in my battery stats either using a N5. Even if it does take a bit of battery, remember that you're most likely going to be looking at your phone less and the constant lock/unlock should improve your battery.

This thread may be old, but I just came in to say that this comment is very true. Based on your kernel's governor settings (that throttle the CPU) you'll save a serious amount of battery even before considering the screen will be on less often.

dece27

Nov 20, 2012
Dublin
With my N5, I have lots of awakes from Pebble app (v2.4 beta) which drains the battery of the smartphone. I'm using Dalvik because ART has a bug with the bluetooth with lots of awakes. Can anyone help me, please?

YDtMYTj.png

FqTF5eO.png

Shawheim

Jun 15, 2010
The Star City
I've had a pebble for 4 months and haven't had it show up on my list in battery stats. That's using the pebble app, pebble notifier and canvas. Even using a watchface from canvas that shows weather and battery info doesn't cause a drain. And I wear my pebble 10+hrs a day.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

dece27

Nov 20, 2012
Dublin
I don't know, probably there's something strange with Pebble App and Android 4.4.2. Who notice this problem can please help us, providing the full list of watchapps and watchfaces installed?

quangtran1

Aug 27, 2011
I've had a pebble for 4 months and haven't had it show up on my list in battery stats. That's using the pebble app, pebble notifier and canvas. Even using a watchface from canvas that shows weather and battery info doesn't cause a drain. And I wear my pebble 10+hrs a day.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Same here. I have 4.4.2 and Pebble services don't even make on this battery usage list.

iPhone 5S, LG G2, Razr Mini, Nokia 928, Blackberry Q10

quangtran1

Aug 27, 2011
Which watchapps do you have installed (and which watchfaces)?

Here are what I have on my Pebble:
- The original 3 watchfaces
- The World Metric watchface
- The Canvas for Pebble watchface that has 3 calendar entries, weather, missed text and phone counters
- Stopwatch for Pebble
- Multi-timer for Pebble

Last edited:

Grooby97

Oct 12, 2009
HTC One GE rom 4.4.2

Apps on the phone:
- Pebble
- Pebble Locker
- Pebble Notifier
- Pebble Dialer

Apps on Pebble
- Simple Weather
- Pebble Dialer
- Yahoo Weather 2.0
- Modern Extra
- Square Minutes

Update:
I am seeing a lot of nlpwakelock triggered from Pebble app.

Last edited:

tamshiwen

Apr 12, 2011
I would wager either simple weather or yahoo weather(or both) are what's causing your wakelock issue. They tend to ping your phone at regular intervals and also when you switch to their watchface on the pebble, making the bt radio active and phone awake more often.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

dece27

Nov 20, 2012
Dublin
I would wager either simple weather or yahoo weather(or both) are what's causing your wakelock issue. They tend to ping your phone at regular intervals and also when you switch to their watchface on the pebble, making the bt radio active and phone awake more often.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I agree with you. I tried to uninstall all the watchfaces that visualise the weather and seems that wakelocks never appear. Anyone can confirm this?

quangtran1

Aug 27, 2011
I agree with you. I tried to uninstall all the watchfaces that visualise the weather and seems that wakelocks never appear. Anyone can confirm this?

I use weather update function from Canvas for Pebble and my Pebble can last 5 days. However, I agree with the other poster that Yahoo Weather maybe the culprit. Yahoo always installs tracking codes for ad (spam) purposes. While ads currently do not display on your Pebble, I have to believe there are codes related to the overall Yahoo weather engine that constantly ping; consequently, causing wakelocks.

Last edited:

Grooby97

Oct 12, 2009
so that means even if the watch face is not active, the code is still running in the background?!?! or are we talking about that there are portion of codes running under the Pebble app?

quangtran1

Aug 27, 2011
so that means even if the watch face is not active, the code is still running in the background?!?! or are we talking about that there are portion of codes running under the Pebble app?

It depends. If the app shows up in your list of running apps (settings - apps - running), then obviously it's using battery. It depends on what data a watchface pulls. If it doesn't poll your phone constantly, then the phone shouldn't be using battery.

Grooby97

Oct 12, 2009
It depends. If the app shows up in your list of running apps (settings - apps - running), then obviously it's using battery. It depends on what data a watchface pulls. If it doesn't poll your phone constantly, then the phone shouldn't be using battery.

Are you referring to android app or watch app? I am referring to the Yahoo Weather watch app, which pulls the weather info from somewhere. the assumption is that it connects to Pebble android app to get location; thus the nlpwakelock, and then pulls the necessary data from Yahoo weather API. If the Yahoo weather app is not running (active watchface), does it still run and pull location at the predetermine frequency?

quangtran1

Aug 27, 2011
Are you referring to android app or watch app? I am referring to the Yahoo Weather watch app, which pulls the weather info from somewhere. the assumption is that it connects to Pebble android app to get location; thus the nlpwakelock, and then pulls the necessary data from Yahoo weather API. If the Yahoo weather app is not running (active watchface), does it still run and pull location at the predetermine frequency?

See, that's what I'm not sure, you'll have to test. I do not use the Yahoo app; I don't know that when the watchface isn't active, does that app simply not displaying the watchface, but still runs in the background, or is it completely inactive altogether? I'm guessing that if the face isn't active, then there would be no reason for the Yahoo app to run. I thought you already stated that you did not experience wakelocks when you stopped using the Yahoo weather app.