[Q] Rooting My Samsung Tab 2

Search This thread

JamesJoey

Aug 2, 2012
I've read instruction's from the web on rooting my Samsung Galaxy Tap 2.
First, the instructions mention to allow USB debugging but I find no setting for this in my apps menu.
I was also instructed to put the device in download mode but the device got stuck at Downloading.... for around 15 minutes until I restarted by holding the volume up and power.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
James

Last edited:

Nikhilrj

Mar 31, 2014
Usb debugging is in developer option- toggle the switch on.Scroll down. You will see usb debugging.
And how you try to root the phone? Using odin? Hit a thanks if I helped you! :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

JamesJoey

Aug 2, 2012
I failed to install the Samsung drivers.

The device is rooted now.

Now what?
Where do I find tools for the rooted device?
Where do I get custom roms?

Nikhilrj

Mar 31, 2014
You getting usb device not recognized error?You using desktop or laptop? And please mention the os. Try reconnecting the usb to other ports.windows 7 installs drivers automatically. I am not sure about mac. If its desktop try connecting to back usb ports. Try changing usb cables. There are lots of issues with usb cables and smartphones.no one knows what it is.. :confused:

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

If you want cm11. You can download it from www.get.cm from your phone and follow the imstructions..
Its the easiest way for rooting and installing custom roms. It automatically detects device, roots, install recovery and roms.. Most of them are stable too..

JamesJoey

Aug 2, 2012
I wasn't getting an error.
In Odin I clicked PDM and selected the auto root file.
When I would click Start nothing happened.
Finally, after installing the correct drivers for my device it worked fine.
I'm using Windows 8.1. on a desktop.

The device isn't a phone, it's a tablet.
Just not sure what tools will be helpful.
Also need to know haw to flash a combatable rom.

Last edited:

Nikhilrj

Mar 31, 2014
Ok.Cyanogen mod supports p3100. Hope yours is the same. Go to www.get.cm from your tablet. And download the apk file or switch into usb debugging. After that go to www.get.cm from your computer. Download the cm installer for pc. Open it. It will take a few minutes to setup upgrading and other process. When it asks to connect your tab or phone. Make sure you have a back up of all.Connect it in usb debugging mode. It will detect your device and download latest recovery, rom and system apps. After downloading everything.it asks for install. It automatically loads downloding mode. You don't even have to press volume, power and all stuffs. Actually just connect your tab and relax.:beer::beer: That's all....:):cool:

---------- Post added at 05:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 AM ----------

Or you could manually choose a rom. Check this http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-2/7-inch-development and choose one you want. Before that. You need to flash recovery if you are doing it manually. To flash recovery download rom manager from play store. It gets you the latest recovery. You can also make a backup of your current rom using that tool.:D