USB Charger - Upgrade Mod for SGS Phones.

Search This thread

TRusselo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
more/better/other info in this thread. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1384253

This post will show you how to MOD an un-official Samsung USB wall charger into one that will enable full speed charging on Samsung Galaxy S phones.

8 $ ebay cheap wall battery charger power output specs:

350 mA battery charging speed - doesnt matter...
800 mA USB port.. THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT!! more the better. nice if the phone would use all of it... Need AC Mode...
Samsung wall USB charger is only 750mA! AND it will set AC mode.

The theory behind it is with samsung galaxy phones and "official chargers":
if the middle 2 data pins on the usb, while getting 5v to the outer 2 pins it tells the phone that it is an *official samsung* charger and enables full speed charging.

without the middle 2 pins connected (with or without data flow) will not charge at full speed. even if you supply 800mA it will only charge around 350mA

well there have been posts of cable hacks to do this or adapters... ha! tape and tinfoil... or hack the cable apart! And you cant use the cable with the PC anymore!
heres my mod... bend 2 pins.. DONE! solder if you know how for better connection!

***only use this charger for samsung phones, not all USB devices will like this, -may dammage some- as the samsung phone is PROGRAMMED to know what to do if the 2 data pins are shorted out***

Phone confirms AC charging NOT USB NOW!! But Camera Died!
Now i can leave my Samsung Charger upstairs, and this one downstairs.
You know how long it takes to charge an extended battery on USB mode? or at 350 mah in the battery charger?

Rapid%20Charger.JPG

Last edited:

TRusselo

Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
update on this mod..
was able to charge my extended battery from 8% to 100% in about 2 hours 45 min over USB with the screen off never timed before the mod but it was slower. In the official samsung charger it was a little over 3 hours. just in the battery cradle it takes around 5-6 hours. Very much improved!

Reactions: Gregory

damonib

Jan 18, 2011
Metro Detroit
When I plug my old Blackberry charger into the phone, it shows "Charging (AC)" under the Status menu, is this saying that the Blackberry charger is putting the Cappy into full charge mode? Unfortunatly the charger does only say only 700mA output anyway.

TRusselo

Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
yes its charging at full speed if it says AC. congrats.
good to know about BB chargers.

tiuk

Jul 1, 2010
yes its charging at full speed if it says AC. congrats.
good to know about BB chargers.

More accurately, it means the phone will try to charge at full speed. I have an external battery that has the pins shorted, phone says AC, but it can only output 500ma, so it doesn't charge any faster.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA Premium App

TRusselo

Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
More accurately, it means the phone will try to charge at full speed. I have an external battery that has the pins shorted, phone says AC, but it can only output 500ma, so it doesn't charge any faster.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA Premium App
MORE accurately (as said before) it WILL charge at full speed, OF THE CHARGER.. not the phone. UPTO the full speed of the phone.
thats why i said my charger upped it to 800 not 1100ish in the first post. and why i told the other guy his is working at 700. it depends on the chargers output, that has been explained thank you.

and your charger that is putting out 500ma IS FASTER. without the mod your phone is only charging at "usb speed" or around 375ma ish... just barely faster...

Last edited:

BrokenPixel

Dec 28, 2007
Valle de San Isidro
www.google.com
+1 on the BB charger, my Cappy didn't come with a charger and I always had it plugged to that BB charger, I'm used to measure the battery charging time of my old Dell Streak on a "desktop charger" and took about 4 hours, this cappy charges in 2 hours and something, maybe 3 haven't measured accurately but I know it is waay quicker than 4 hours.

TRusselo

Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
yes the blue light is normal. the pins you connect inside dont connect to anything in the charger, they are just connected to themselves.
the blue light was on before the mod...

TRusselo

Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
the light indicates power:
Blue for plugged in empty, or fully charged (battery or USB)
Pink if anything is drawing power (charging through battery or USB)
Purple if you have a battery and USB drawing power (over-drawing power!! disconnect one)

Reactions: 41LY45

gangpe

Aug 20, 2010
Hey Trusselo,

Nice mod. I bought of these with two after market batteries for $10. What do you think about wiring the battery contacts to a switch to the usb port to use the backup battery/charger as a portable charger? That way, you can go from charging the battery to using the battery aa portable charger?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

TRusselo

Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
i barely understand what you are trying to say, however, the battery contacts on the charger are only 350mah , the usb port on the CHARGER is 800, so wiring the battery contacts on the charger (with or without a switch) would be a bad choice.

you may want to re-read the OP...

gangpe

Aug 20, 2010
No offence intended

TRusselo,

No offence intended by the previous post. I didn't mean to thread jack either. I was just wondering whether it would be possible to use the same hardware intended to charge a spare battery and use it as a portable phone charger using the battery as the power source. Thanks for the info; I was hoping to convert this charger into a portable phone charger as well as keep the current functionality (using the switch). Thanks for the info though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    more/better/other info in this thread. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1384253

This post will show you how to MOD an un-official Samsung USB wall charger into one that will enable full speed charging on Samsung Galaxy S phones.

8 $ ebay cheap wall battery charger power output specs:

350 mA battery charging speed - doesnt matter...
    800 mA USB port.. THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT!! more the better. nice if the phone would use all of it... Need AC Mode...
    Samsung wall USB charger is only 750mA! AND it will set AC mode.

The theory behind it is with samsung galaxy phones and "official chargers":
    if the middle 2 data pins on the usb, while getting 5v to the outer 2 pins it tells the phone that it is an *official samsung* charger and enables full speed charging.

without the middle 2 pins connected (with or without data flow) will not charge at full speed. even if you supply 800mA it will only charge around 350mA

well there have been posts of cable hacks to do this or adapters... ha! tape and tinfoil... or hack the cable apart! And you cant use the cable with the PC anymore!
    heres my mod... bend 2 pins.. DONE! solder if you know how for better connection!

***only use this charger for samsung phones, not all USB devices will like this, -may dammage some- as the samsung phone is PROGRAMMED to know what to do if the 2 data pins are shorted out***

Phone confirms AC charging NOT USB NOW!! But Camera Died!
    Now i can leave my Samsung Charger upstairs, and this one downstairs.
    You know how long it takes to charge an extended battery on USB mode? or at 350 mah in the battery charger?

Rapid%20Charger.JPG
    update on this mod..
    was able to charge my extended battery from 8% to 100% in about 2 hours 45 min over USB with the screen off never timed before the mod but it was slower. In the official samsung charger it was a little over 3 hours. just in the battery cradle it takes around 5-6 hours. Very much improved!
    the light indicates power:
    Blue for plugged in empty, or fully charged (battery or USB)
    Pink if anything is drawing power (charging through battery or USB)
    Purple if you have a battery and USB drawing power (over-drawing power!! disconnect one)
    PointMobl

If you don't feel comfortable modifying a charger, you can buy one at RadioShack. It's the PointMobl AC charger (part number 230-1291) for $19.99 they provide 1.2 Amps/Hour. I work @ RS and I just tried one, in phone status it showed Charging (AC). I'm not trying to put SPAM on here, I just thought someone may find this a better option. Although, if you have an extra charger laying around or can get a cheep one, shorting out pin 2 and 3 is a great option.