please help. my TF101 won't boot past ASUS screen.

Search This thread

AlfaM03

Mar 3, 2014
Hi guys! I've joined this forum solely for this and I hope you can help. To start, I have had my Transformer for almost 4 years now. I haven't tried to root or add some custom firmware on this. So everything is "stock" so to speak. Recently my Transformer just turned off and restarted. I thought this was the usual "random restart" the transformer does but this time it wont get past the Asus boot screen with the spinning circles. I kinda left it till it'll run out of battery hoping this was a one time thing but when I tried charging it back up again, it still won't get past the boot screen to the desktop. I've tried cold-booting and also doing the "recovery kernel" thing but no luck. I've read about hard and soft bricks around the internet. I also read about bricks usually having bootloops. It doesn't seem like my tab is bootlooping but I'm still kinda leaning to the possibility that my loved TF101 is bricked. :(( I haven't tried doing a whole factory reset because I still have some valuable files in my tab. Is there a way fix this thing or even just a way to recover my files before doing the factory reset? ANY HELP? :(( please explain some terms and steps as simply as you can. I'd really appreciate it.

AlfaM03

Mar 3, 2014
Try using EasyFlasher to flash TWRP recovery to it
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1688012

If you manage to get TWRP installed, you have a load of other options that can help get it booting again, and if not, you will be able to flash a new custom ROM to it instead

so the link presented me with two options. one is for flashing recovery. the other is for unbricking/flashing ASUS stock firmware. what do you suggest i do first?

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
Flash TWRP - you're gonna need TWRP for new ROMs anyway, old CWM recovery bricks the TF with JB+ ROMs

From TWRP you have the choice to either try to get back into your current ROM, back it up, or wipe and flash a new one

AlfaM03

Mar 3, 2014
Flash TWRP - you're gonna need TWRP for new ROMs anyway, old CWM recovery bricks the TF with JB+ ROMs

From TWRP you have the choice to either try to get back into your current ROM, back it up, or wipe and flash a new one

Got it to work! Thank you, thank you! :victory: So I got to install KatKiss and I noticed it came with this Trebuchet launcher. I wanted to install another launcher from the store but when I start it up, it runs reeeeeeeally slow. The Trebuchet launcher works really smooth but for some reason the other launchers don't. Is there anyway to fix this?

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
If you're running KatKiss 4.4.x you need to disable "System Wallpaper Rendering" in Settings > Display > Wallpaper Mode/Disable (Speed Increase)

The latest KatKiss 4.4.2_r2 #23 (Released yesterday) has this set as default but I haven't tried it with another launcher yet, Im liking the new Trebuchet launcher atm
http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=4539

But the problem is then you need a launcher that uses Internal Wallpaper Rendering otherwise you end up with no wallpaper and unfortunately there are not a great deal of them out there, Next Launcher has it, Trebuchet does, a couple of those 3D launchers do.... I think Go Launcher does too

If you want to use Launchers like Apex and Nova, flash the last 4.3.1 version of KatKiss and change the Interface Mode from Phablet back to Tablet UI

It's the Phablet UI with the top dropdown notifications layer that our poor old TF's can't handle, removing the wallpaper layer fixes it but you need a launcher that can replace the walls

KatKiss 4.4.x don't have Tablet UI any more

Last edited:

AlfaM03

Mar 3, 2014
If you're running KatKiss 4.4.x you need to disable "System Wallpaper Rendering" in Settings > Display > Wallpaper Mode/Disable (Speed Increase)

The latest KatKiss 4.4.2_r2 #23 (Released yesterday) has this set as default but I haven't tried it with another launcher yet, Im liking the new Trebuchet launcher atm
http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=4539

But the problem is then you need a launcher that uses Internal Wallpaper Rendering otherwise you end up with no wallpaper and unfortunately there are not a great deal of them out there, Next Launcher has it, Trebuchet does, a couple of those 3D launchers do.... I think Go Launcher does too

If you want to use Launchers like Apex and Nova, flash the last 4.3.1 version of KatKiss and change the Interface Mode from Phablet back to Tablet UI

It's the Phablet UI with the top dropdown notifications layer that our poor old TF's can't handle, removing the wallpaper layer fixes it but you need a launcher that can replace the walls

KatKiss 4.4.x don't have Tablet UI any more

I'm currently using the stable KatKiss-4.3.1_029 version. It's good you mentioned that they have released 4.4.x versions. Thanks. So once I download this, do i have to follow these steps again? Or is there a quicker way?:

.Backup everything !
.Go to recovery
.Make a full wipe / factory reset (you can skip this step if you're already on KatKiss-4.4, if ever you encounter a problem do the full wipe and try again before reporting )
.Format /system
.Flash the rom
.Flash optional kernel
.Flash gapps
.Wipe cache/dalvik
.Reboot

I'm kinda new to this and I guess I just need to familiarize myself with these basics. :)

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
If you're already using the #29 of 4.3.1 you can change Settings > User Interface > Interface Mode (Might be slightly different in 4.3.1) and change UI mode back to Tablet UI and you should have nice smooth experience with all launchers again

To move over to another ROM, if you're moving up 4.3.x > 4.4.x you can just wipe CACHE, DALVIK CACHE and SYSTEM, then flash the new ROM and Gapps, Wipe CACHE and DALVIK CACHE again, then reboot into your new ROM and all your apps etc will still be there

Not the case for going backwards though, 4.4.x to 4.3.x, you'll need to wipe both the caches and system, and data this time, which will remove all your apps

You can use an app called "Titanium Backup" to make a backup of your apps before wiping, and then again to restore them once you are in your new ROM

Or Make a full backup in TWRP, then you can also use Titanium Backup to restore from that TWRP (Nandroid) backup

You don't need to flash optional kernels if you're using the TF101 iirc (I don't)

Best thing to do is get your TF running 100%, then make a full Nandroid backup in TWRP, then you can wipe and flash to your hearts content, if it all goes pear shaped, you can restore your backup and return exactly to how it was when you made the backup

In short:

Going up in Android versions:
Wipe both CACHEs and System > Flash > Wipe Caches > Reboot

Going down in Android versions:
As above, but wipe DATA too

EDIT - Apologies for the rushed reply, Im on my way out, if you get stuck let me know and I'll explain it better when I get back :)

Last edited:
Reactions: AlfaM03

AlfaM03

Mar 3, 2014
If you're already using the #29 of 4.3.1 you can change Settings > User Interface > Interface Mode (Might be slightly different in 4.3.1) and change UI mode back to Tablet UI and you should have nice smooth experience with all launchers again

To move over to another ROM, if you're moving up 4.3.x > 4.4.x you can just wipe CACHE, DALVIK CACHE and SYSTEM, then flash the new ROM and Gapps, Wipe CACHE and DALVIK CACHE again, then reboot into your new ROM and all your apps etc will still be there

Not the case for going backwards though, 4.4.x to 4.3.x, you'll need to wipe both the caches and system, and data this time, which will remove all your apps

You can use an app called "Titanium Backup" to make a backup of your apps before wiping, and then again to restore them once you are in your new ROM

Or Make a full backup in TWRP, then you can also use Titanium Backup to restore from that TWRP (Nandroid) backup

You don't need to flash optional kernels if you're using the TF101 iirc (I don't)

Best thing to do is get your TF running 100%, then make a full Nandroid backup in TWRP, then you can wipe and flash to your hearts content, if it all goes pear shaped, you can restore your backup and return exactly to how it was when you made the backup

In short:

EDIT - Apologies for the rushed reply, Im on my way out, if you get stuck let me know and I'll explain it better when I get back :)

I GOT IT TO UPDATE! Thank you for giving me a step by step process with this. I really appreciate it. I got my TAB off a brick and now I'm enjoying the newest KatKiss. Cheers!:good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

In short: