HTC EVO Shift 4G Getting Gingerbread 2.3 OTA Starting June 20th

Search This thread
Last edited:
Reactions: prboy1969

csdj92

Mar 30, 2011
Noob question but this means we will have to get a new root process right?

Sent from my PG06100 using XDA App

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
Thanks for the heads up. It's about time they said something. Sounds good, but I'll wait till our Devs get there hands on it. Don't want the same issues some people are having with the EVO 4G update. Don't want to lose root, and have to wait.

Shifted on my Mik BETA G powered Shift from neverland using XDA Premium App

Thanks for the heads up. It's about time they said something. Sounds good, but I'll wait till our Devs get there hands on it. Don't want the same issues some people are having with the EVO 4G update. Don't want to lose root, and have to wait.

Actually the EVO 4G owners are getting an update to fix the GB issues the same date that the Shift is getting the GB update

csdj92

Mar 30, 2011
Well on the plus side netflix should work =)

Sent from my PG06100 using XDA App

jesusice

Dec 22, 2010
Netflix works for me and I've been on 2.3.4 for a while now. What I want is an updated kernel source for our devs to play with. Remember, HTC is listening. Tweet, Facebook, email them or whatever and ask that they please release the source :)

^ Shift Faced

tokuzumi

Nov 25, 2008
hope it has the updated sense. and we dont get the same exact thing the evo did

The leak that is over in the Android Dev section has sense 2.1. I wouldn't expect the final release to have anything different.

This will be good once the kernel source comes out, and we can get some overclocking going.

Also, once the kernel source comes out, this should give the kingdom rom port a shot in the arm, as we will be able to OC that rom, and make it run like it should run.

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
The leak that is over in the Android Dev section has sense 2.1. I wouldn't expect the final release to have anything different.

This will be good once the kernel source comes out, and we can get some overclocking going.

Also, once the kernel source comes out, this should give the kingdom rom port a shot in the arm, as we will be able to OC that rom, and make it run like it should run.

+1. That ROM OC'd should be Bad Ass :)

tokuzumi

Nov 25, 2008
i'm running GB shift deck ROM and the android version already says 2.3.4... is there a reason why we would want to update via OTA if we already have that version?

Shift deck is AOSP, right? This is the sense rom update. You should only update to this rom if you want a sense rom again.

Evo_Shift

Jan 17, 2011
I will be waiting to install it as well. The root process on this phone is already involved enough. It will probably be a long time, if ever, before it gets rooted again after they patch the root method we are currently using.

The one thing I am curious about is if we are stock rooted will we be able to ignore the notifications about updating or is it going to constantly notify us to update forever?

tokuzumi

Nov 25, 2008
According to Sprint's twitter account, the OTA is available now. I'm rooted, so I'm not going to mess with it, but for anyone who isn't rooted, and wants it, go get it...

tokuzumi

Nov 25, 2008
I will be waiting to install it as well. The root process on this phone is already involved enough. It will probably be a long time, if ever, before it gets rooted again after they patch the root method we are currently using.

The one thing I am curious about is if we are stock rooted will we be able to ignore the notifications about updating or is it going to constantly notify us to update forever?

If you turn off update notifications, you will never be notified.

Menu > Settings > System Updates > HTC Software Update (uncheck box)

Reactions: Evo_Shift

gtkansan

Nov 28, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Not showing for me. We need someone to get it and pull the .zip so the devs can root the update...

Sent from my PG06100 using XDA Premium App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Looks like we are finally gonna get the official GB update.
    It will start pushing the 20th but as of the 17th you can manually update by going to MENU>SETTINGS>SYSTEM UPDATES>HTC SOFTWARE UPDATE
    Source
    http://androidcommunity.com/htc-evo...gerbread-2-3-ota-starting-june-20th-20110615/

well I just hope it is not like the damn evo 4g gingerbread update full of bugs lol

If you turn off update notifications, you will never be notified.

Menu > Settings > System Updates > HTC Software Update (uncheck box)
    There is a flashable rooted zip on here search for gingershift ill post a link to it when i get home.....

Sent from my PG06100 using XDA Premium App

This is the Flashable rooted zip drewbuchman is talking about:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1127169
    My phone prompted me to update yesterday. I downloaded it, but it failed. It locked up on the htc screen with the white background. I popped out the battery and it booted to 2.2 without issue. I visited two different Sprint stores today. Both tried to factory reset in hboot and it got stuck on the htc screen just like the update. I have never permanently rooted this phone, but do use Visionary for WiFi thether occasionally.

Has anyone run into this? I am not opposed to flashing, but afraid it will get stuck on the htc screen after doing so and then not boot at all.

The second Sprint store thinks the low-level software is corrupt and the phone needs to be replaced. They will replace it for $35, but I want to see if anyone knows a fix beforegoing that route.

it sounds to me like its time for a new device too i work at Nexgeneration cellular in Cartersville GA as a tech and that def sounds like a low level software issue to me and sprint stores dont have the tools to fix this issue. sorry bro but IMO that is you only option.
    This is the Flashable rooted zip drewbuchman is talking about:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1127169

Thanks i didn't get home till late last night and i hit your thanks button too.