HTCdev.com **Evo3D Rooting Info** "Live"

Search This thread

GODZSON

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 2, 2007
Boynton Beach
Well at last, HTC has brought us their method to root HTC Evo 3D & Sensation.. Just register to become a member (dev) and begin rooting your Evo3D. I wanted to show you all what to expect.. and of course there are disclaimers so view screen shots for full details. I have not tried this setup so please give feedback, I do have the phone but it's been rooted by other methods.. just giving fellowship & sharing information. Enjoy!

Go to HTCDev.com to get started.. (This will VOID your warranty, root your phone & give you super human strenghts)
Previous rooting gave phone's the same voided warranty especially servicing in carriers service center, same deal. Revolutionary method also voids warranty so now people have choices.. (Former Sprint Service Mgr)

As informed please give useful feedback if you have used this method so we know where we stand with this and in fact "IF" HTC is helping us out.

Thx to Doomstang for input-
Well I think I've finally gotten somewhere...Wireless Tether was just successfully granted Superuser permissions.

This was all done without ever having rooted this phone in the past...so I accepted the OTA update, unlocked with HTC Dev's process, got a working recovery going, and then got Superuser installed.

graffixnyc posted the link to the working recovery so I used that: http://www.multiupload.com/AQ9KV7IME9

And Graffixnyc-
This was the version of CWM that booted for me. I flashed through fastboot and also did a nandroid restore just fine. This was the version IEF(from alpharev) gave me on irc

http://www.multiupload.com/AQ9KV7IME9

I was able to get into recovery from selecting recovery from the fastboot method and from doing adb reboot recovery. Sorry for not posting earlier I had finals yesterday and went out after to celebrate :)

Please make sure all items are installed and up to date.
Google Android SDK zip:
http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
Java Runtime Environment:
http://java.com
HTC Sync (Windows Only):
http://www.htc.com/www/help/

Continued "disclosure"
It is our responsibility to caution you that not all claims resulting or caused by or from the unlocking of the bootloader may be covered under warranty. Please note that unlocking your bootloader does not mean that you will be able to unlock the SIM lock. Unlocking your SIM lock is at the discretion of your operator/carrier and is not part of the bootloader unlocking scope.

Our devices have been designed with our hardware and software specifications in mind and unlocking the bootloader will change the software and may cause unexpected side effects. It is impossible for HTC to ensure the proper functioning of your device after this. In the worst case scenario, it is possible that your device may be physically damaged due to overheating or the behavior of your device might be altered including, but not limited to, hearing aid compatibility (HAC) and specific absorption rate (SAR) values.

Some content on your device may also be invalidated and cannot be accessed any more because of invalid DRM security keys. This includes content that you may have purchased through a 3rd party vendor and through HTC. Furthermore, although you will still be able to receive updates to your device via FOTA (“firmware over the air”), we do not guarantee that updating your device via FOTA will not render your device unusable. Please understand that you will not be able to return your device to the original state and going forward your device may not be held covered under the warranty for all claims resulting from the unlocking of the bootloader. HTC bears no responsibility if your device is no longer usable afterwards.

HTC is committed to assisting customers in unlocking bootloaders for HTC devices. However, due to some of our carrier customers concerns, certain models with specific restrictions may not be able to be unlocked. Please refer to our list of supported devices to see if your device is eligible for unlocking the bootloader.

We strongly suggest that you do not unlock the bootloader unless you are confident that you understand the risks involved. This is a technical procedure and the side effects could possibly necessitate repairs to your device not covered under warranty. If you are still interested in unlocking the bootloader, and you understand the consequences both to your device and to your warranty, then you may refer to the following pages where we have provided the unlocking instructions.

If there's an error you will see screen shot below.. with details on what happened.

Last edited:

gthing

Feb 13, 2007
SL,UT
So maybe I'm confused about what this does ... I went through the process and everything seems to have worked. Bootloader now shows unlocked. I tried to flash a recovery (both clockworkmod and TWRP) and it seems to flash successfully but when I try to run recovery it just reboots the phone after showing the HTC logo for a minute. I was hoping to install the rooted OTA but not sure what to try next...

Last edited:

Leoisright

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 22, 2010
MN
No. I'm not confused about the unlock.
I'm worried about a man who makes a guide about unlocking the device he does not have...

Am I wrong to be worried, about a man, who makes a post, about unlocking a device, he does not have?

Has has tested the method?

Yooooo. Godzson is a trusted guy and helps many devs in the community. No sense in flamming him when you'll just start pissing off devs here.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

jayharper08

Retired Senior Moderator - The Troll Whisperer
Jan 7, 2008
The Dirty
Godzson is a trusted member on here. Don't think you have to worry about him. Why would someone take all this time to write up a post with pics and the info just to mess with people? Smh....... Alot of the devs in the 3d community who do roms and themes don't even have the damn 3d. Don't start turning this community into **** by questioning people trying to help.

Last edited:

southern87

So maybe I'm confused about what this does ... I went through the process and everything seems to have worked. Bootloader now shows unlocked. I tried to flash a recovery (both clockworkmod and TWRP) and it seems to flash successfully but when I try to run recovery it just reboots the phone after showing the HTC logo for a minute. I was hoping to install the rooted OTA but not sure what to try next...

TWRP doesn't work and CWM Is a hit or miss. You should of tried the stock recovery, I think it had one. Wait till a root for the new boot loader I say.

I think the unlocked just gives partial access to the bootloader if I am correct. Your security flag(s-off) is still on.

Sent from my EVO3D(overclocked) via XDA App

athlet1c

Aug 23, 2007
City Near You
Godzson is only posting to what HTC promised, here a unlocker. He is also a trusted member, who provides a substantial amount of information for the community. Please they are also right to say some dev, and do not have this device and do an amazing job developing for it. let's please keep peaceand move forward..

mwalt2

Feb 22, 2009
Why waste your time reposting instructions found on htcdev.com? People want to know what happens after you do the method and how it helps put custom software on your phone.

smw6180

Oct 31, 2007
Bear, DE
Why waste your time reposting instructions found on htcdev.com? People want to know what happens after you do the method and how it helps put custom software on your phone.

Because sometimes people want to see the process without having to DO the process....

Why question it? Just don't read through 2 pages or more of posts if it's offensive to you.

sniperkill

Sep 27, 2010
Maryland
Yo GODZSON, you do know that the little green android guy isn't the only one that's green around here, don't you? LMFAO. Just look at the noobs trying to flame you, and don't even know anything about you, LOL. Yeah, LOL. Like they got room to talk. Keep up the great work buddy.

On a more serious note, does this method actually allow you to root? Cuz I didn't really see anything on HTC's site, or in your post about rooting. Yet the title states rooting with HTC's unlock method. Just a fyi.

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA Premium App

Last edited:

GODZSON

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 2, 2007
Boynton Beach
Well sir maybe doing a lil research would benefit the questions. I did assist with 2 threads in Evo3D (screen pics and 3D converting). I placed this for information to the community and for knowledge to those that may want to see what it looks like and have other options of rooting their phone. I do have the device but's its been rooted therefore I havent tried this "Official" method. Would be nice to ask with some manners in XDA you can get suspended, banned, etc for your actions, this is a community to help each other out.

Thanks to all the fellow dev's for the kind words.. to all the noobs with lack of knowledge no worries we're here for you to help out, much love for you.. hey we all started there at one time :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I think I've finally gotten somewhere...Wireless Tether was just successfully granted Superuser permissions.

This was all done without ever having rooted this phone in the past...so I accepted the OTA update, unlocked with HTC Dev's process, got a working recovery going, and then got Superuser installed.

graffixnyc posted the link to the working recovery so I used that: http://www.multiupload.com/AQ9KV7IME9

Reactions: GODZSON

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
this is a joke!

HTC's unlocked bootloader is a joke, it just says "unlocked" but you cannot flash any new recoveries and you get S-ON. Don't try this folks, stay rooted! My 3D is now officially bricked with HTC method, it's not unlocked at all as you can't do anything with it.

HTC's unlocked bootloader is a joke, it just says "unlocked" but you cannot flash any new recoveries and you get S-ON. Don't try this folks, stay rooted! My 3D is now officially bricked with HTC method, it's not unlocked at all as you can't do anything with it.

I'm very sorry to hear yours was bricked but I was able to flash a working recovery (although the first 2 I tried did fail) and gain SU permissions even with S-ON still showing.

Last edited:

mwalt2

Feb 22, 2009
It does look like things are working for some starting here in one of the other threads.

Last edited by a moderator:

nfollin

Jul 9, 2009
The unlock is terrible, I got it to work on my Dad's phone, but I could only get into clockwork once, TWRP doesn't work, and only a manual flash of clockwork seemed to work, I tried to get in with Rom Manager for him so he could do a backup, and it wouldn't go either, and it didn't want to go back in for me manually either, just boots up.

Oh well, I managed to root it and get a rom installed. So we shall see how everything goes.

It's S-ON still, which is complete crap.

The unlock is terrible, I got it to work on my Dad's phone, but I could only get into clockwork once, TWRP doesn't work, and only a manual flash of clockwork seemed to work, I tried to get in with Rom Manager for him so he could do a backup, and it wouldn't go either, and it didn't want to go back in for me manually either, just boots up.

Oh well, I managed to root it and get a rom installed. So we shall see how everything goes.

It's S-ON still, which is complete crap.

4.0.1.5 failed for me too.
I started with CWM 4.0.1.4.
I clicked update recovery in ROM Manager and it said 4.0.1.5 successfully installed after I granted it SU permissions. Had it reboot into recovery from ROM manager and the phone just restarted...so I manually went to recovery via HBoot and it fails to load and restarts the phone. I guess I'll push that 4.0.1.4 back to it now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well at last, HTC has brought us their method to root HTC Evo 3D & Sensation.. Just register to become a member (dev) and begin rooting your Evo3D. I wanted to show you all what to expect.. and of course there are disclaimers so view screen shots for full details. I have not tried this setup so please give feedback, I do have the phone but it's been rooted by other methods.. just giving fellowship & sharing information. Enjoy!

Go to HTCDev.com to get started.. (This will VOID your warranty, root your phone & give you super human strenghts)
    Previous rooting gave phone's the same voided warranty especially servicing in carriers service center, same deal. Revolutionary method also voids warranty so now people have choices.. (Former Sprint Service Mgr)

As informed please give useful feedback if you have used this method so we know where we stand with this and in fact "IF" HTC is helping us out.

Thx to Doomstang for input-

And Graffixnyc-
    This was the version of CWM that booted for me. I flashed through fastboot and also did a nandroid restore just fine. This was the version IEF(from alpharev) gave me on irc

I was able to get into recovery from selecting recovery from the fastboot method and from doing adb reboot recovery. Sorry for not posting earlier I had finals yesterday and went out after to celebrate :)

Please make sure all items are installed and up to date.
    Google Android SDK zip:
    http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
    Java Runtime Environment:
    http://java.com
    HTC Sync (Windows Only):
    http://www.htc.com/www/help/

Continued "disclosure"
    It is our responsibility to caution you that not all claims resulting or caused by or from the unlocking of the bootloader may be covered under warranty. Please note that unlocking your bootloader does not mean that you will be able to unlock the SIM lock. Unlocking your SIM lock is at the discretion of your operator/carrier and is not part of the bootloader unlocking scope.

Our devices have been designed with our hardware and software specifications in mind and unlocking the bootloader will change the software and may cause unexpected side effects. It is impossible for HTC to ensure the proper functioning of your device after this. In the worst case scenario, it is possible that your device may be physically damaged due to overheating or the behavior of your device might be altered including, but not limited to, hearing aid compatibility (HAC) and specific absorption rate (SAR) values.

Some content on your device may also be invalidated and cannot be accessed any more because of invalid DRM security keys. This includes content that you may have purchased through a 3rd party vendor and through HTC. Furthermore, although you will still be able to receive updates to your device via FOTA (“firmware over the air”), we do not guarantee that updating your device via FOTA will not render your device unusable. Please understand that you will not be able to return your device to the original state and going forward your device may not be held covered under the warranty for all claims resulting from the unlocking of the bootloader. HTC bears no responsibility if your device is no longer usable afterwards.

HTC is committed to assisting customers in unlocking bootloaders for HTC devices. However, due to some of our carrier customers concerns, certain models with specific restrictions may not be able to be unlocked. Please refer to our list of supported devices to see if your device is eligible for unlocking the bootloader.

We strongly suggest that you do not unlock the bootloader unless you are confident that you understand the risks involved. This is a technical procedure and the side effects could possibly necessitate repairs to your device not covered under warranty. If you are still interested in unlocking the bootloader, and you understand the consequences both to your device and to your warranty, then you may refer to the following pages where we have provided the unlocking instructions.

If there's an error you will see screen shot below.. with details on what happened.

Well sir maybe doing a lil research would benefit the questions. I did assist with 2 threads in Evo3D (screen pics and 3D converting). I placed this for information to the community and for knowledge to those that may want to see what it looks like and have other options of rooting their phone. I do have the device but's its been rooted therefore I havent tried this "Official" method. Would be nice to ask with some manners in XDA you can get suspended, banned, etc for your actions, this is a community to help each other out.

Thanks to all the fellow dev's for the kind words.. to all the noobs with lack of knowledge no worries we're here for you to help out, much love for you.. hey we all started there at one time :)
    Godzson is a trusted member on here. Don't think you have to worry about him. Why would someone take all this time to write up a post with pics and the info just to mess with people? Smh....... Alot of the devs in the 3d community who do roms and themes don't even have the damn 3d. Don't start turning this community into **** by questioning people trying to help.
    No. I'm not confused about the unlock.
    I'm worried about a man who makes a guide about unlocking the device he does not have...

Am I wrong to be worried, about a man, who makes a post, about unlocking a device, he does not have?

Has has tested the method?

Yooooo. Godzson is a trusted guy and helps many devs in the community. No sense in flamming him when you'll just start pissing off devs here.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    Yo GODZSON, you do know that the little green android guy isn't the only one that's green around here, don't you? LMFAO. Just look at the noobs trying to flame you, and don't even know anything about you, LOL. Yeah, LOL. Like they got room to talk. Keep up the great work buddy.

On a more serious note, does this method actually allow you to root? Cuz I didn't really see anything on HTC's site, or in your post about rooting. Yet the title states rooting with HTC's unlock method. Just a fyi.

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA Premium App