[Q] Cannot install almost anything from the Market

Search This thread

duqueso

Nov 19, 2010
Santiago
Hi, i have my Asus Eee Pad Transformer for like 20 days now, and i cannot install apps from the market, just a few ones, but apps like Flash or Angry Birds or any others not, and a message saying " this item could not be found" appears or "this item cannot be installed in your country" even for the paid apps. When i select the item for the download, the section of the size of the app says "0.00 B" and an exclamation icon next to it. I live in Chile, and i really don't know to what to do! I was looking for a solution to this problem in the web, but nothing, just people with the same problem. I know there's not a problem with the market here because i have a Galaxy S II and i can install all the apps from the market that i want.
If anyone could give me a hand i'll be very appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited:

dark_aura

Sep 13, 2010
The issue is location based, I posted some details in another topic for this same issue, you can find my post here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=13967953#post13967953

Copy/Paste:

This is exactly what is happening to me, I'm from Puerto Rico.

I had the Xoom 3G and currently have the HTC EVO. These 2 devices never had problems with the market, why?

1. The Xoom 3G contains mobile network chipset and is "carrier bound", in this case, Verizon. I've noticed that when a Honeycomb tablet is carrier bound, the owner will be able to see all apps permitted to the carrier country. In this case, since it's Verizon (US based), the market is fully open.

2. The HTC EVO (Sprint) is the same thing as the Xoom 3G.

Now, the interesting part: if a Honeycomb tablet is WiFi only, since there is no mobile network chipset, the market will use the current IP address to recognize the location (country) and filter apps for that country.

I sold the Xoom 3G for a Transformer (obviously, WiFi only) and since I'm in Puerto Rico, the market is too filtered, not even Adobe or most of Google apps are available.

The following 2 workarounds works for me:

1. I activated the hotspot on my HTC EVO, then did a factory reset on the TF. During the initial setup, I selected the WiFi connection provided by the Hotspot, since this WiFi contains a US based IP address (Sprint), the setup will recognize the location as US. After finishing the setup, the market will be fully open, not only that, the web version of the market (https://market.android.com/) will also recognize the TF as located on US and will keep it saved that way. After changing the WiFi back to the local network, I can still browse and install all apps to the TF from the web market, since it was setup with an US IP, but the market app will still filter the apps.

2. In the "My Apps" section of the market app, only those apps filtered to the country will be shown, so if there is an update for a specific filtered app, you won't see the pending update. In this case, I just reconnect the TF to the EVO hotspot WiFi and then restart it, when going to the market app, all apps will be there (My Apps) and I can see if there is any pending update for all installed apps. This method can also be used to install apps from the market app, it's just that the download speed will be probably slower than local network.​

duqueso

Nov 19, 2010
Santiago
Update --------
After trying the method suggested from Adrian.Chandra i was, at first, able to download almost anything from the market, a little "slow" but i doesn't matter if i can download. But! That was with Android Honeycomb 3.0, because when i upgrade my Eee Pad to 3.1 this method stop working...
I can share some of my personal experience with the "proxy way".
1.- It works just with proxys with port 80 or 8080, or at least no other proxy work for me.
2.- When you star downloading your app, some times it fails and tells you that the netwwork is wrong or something like that, but if you hit retry or try to donwload the app over an over an over, it finally gave up and start donwload.
3.- If your google account is not working, try to open the browser for test if the proxy is really working.

That's all, thanks for the help. If anybody knows another method to avoid the market blocking the downloads please tell me and i test it!

Sorry if my english is not that good...

Last edited:

Adrian.Chandra

May 29, 2011
Please do the step again after 3.1 update. Ii also have the same problem after 3.1 update but its working again after i did the steps again. I also only able to use port 80 or 8080 proxy.

Last edited:

duqueso

Nov 19, 2010
Santiago
It works, but fails a lot, and if i turn the proxy off, the problem returns. It looks like Google is constantly "watching" at your account location and blocking everything for not reason at all.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The issue is location based, I posted some details in another topic for this same issue, you can find my post here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=13967953#post13967953

Copy/Paste:

This is exactly what is happening to me, I'm from Puerto Rico.

I had the Xoom 3G and currently have the HTC EVO. These 2 devices never had problems with the market, why?

1. The Xoom 3G contains mobile network chipset and is "carrier bound", in this case, Verizon. I've noticed that when a Honeycomb tablet is carrier bound, the owner will be able to see all apps permitted to the carrier country. In this case, since it's Verizon (US based), the market is fully open.

2. The HTC EVO (Sprint) is the same thing as the Xoom 3G.

Now, the interesting part: if a Honeycomb tablet is WiFi only, since there is no mobile network chipset, the market will use the current IP address to recognize the location (country) and filter apps for that country.

I sold the Xoom 3G for a Transformer (obviously, WiFi only) and since I'm in Puerto Rico, the market is too filtered, not even Adobe or most of Google apps are available.

The following 2 workarounds works for me:

1. I activated the hotspot on my HTC EVO, then did a factory reset on the TF. During the initial setup, I selected the WiFi connection provided by the Hotspot, since this WiFi contains a US based IP address (Sprint), the setup will recognize the location as US. After finishing the setup, the market will be fully open, not only that, the web version of the market (https://market.android.com/) will also recognize the TF as located on US and will keep it saved that way. After changing the WiFi back to the local network, I can still browse and install all apps to the TF from the web market, since it was setup with an US IP, but the market app will still filter the apps.

2. In the "My Apps" section of the market app, only those apps filtered to the country will be shown, so if there is an update for a specific filtered app, you won't see the pending update. In this case, I just reconnect the TF to the EVO hotspot WiFi and then restart it, when going to the market app, all apps will be there (My Apps) and I can see if there is any pending update for all installed apps. This method can also be used to install apps from the market app, it's just that the download speed will be probably slower than local network.​