Disable Screen like a Blackbery

Search This thread

yaelle

Dec 20, 2008
I have a Blackberry which I use for work and I've had my HTC Touch HD for a couple of weeks. One of the things I really like about the Blackberry is the way the screen turns off when you slide it into the pouch and the way it comes back on when you slide it out. It strikes me that it would be great if the HD could mimic that - a lot less fiddling around when you are using it on the move. I guess that the Blackberry uses some kind of light sensor to achieve this. Has anyone come across an app that would do the same thing for HD?

umexed

Apr 26, 2008
Nicosia
I have a Blackberry which I use for work and I've had my HTC Touch HD for a couple of weeks. One of the things I really like about the Blackberry is the way the screen turns off when you slide it into the pouch and the way it comes back on when you slide it out. It strikes me that it would be great if the HD could mimic that - a lot less fiddling around when you are using it on the move. I guess that the Blackberry uses some kind of light sensor to achieve this. Has anyone come across an app that would do the same thing for HD?

interesting indeed.. but what if its night time? if we use the light sensor to turn off the screen then when its pitch black the device will be off instead of on..

im getting my hd back today hopefully.. im willing to give it go :)

yaelle

Dec 20, 2008
Brilliant. I don't know how the BB does it, it seems to work day or night. I can't really think of too many instances when it's pitch black but i suppose you can resort to pushing the buttons then.

One of the reasons I'd like it to operate like this is because I really like the slide in/out cases rather than a flip case and this would make it sooooo much easier.

BenGmuN

Dec 30, 2008
I have a feeling the BlackBerry uses a reed (magnetic) switch (or alternative), as oppposed to an LDR (light sensor) to switch the screen on and off, triggered by a magnetic strip on the case, rather than darkness, which would be more 'reliable' I guess.

umexed

Apr 26, 2008
Nicosia
Brilliant. I don't know how the BB does it, it seems to work day or night. I can't really think of too many instances when it's pitch black but i suppose you can resort to pushing the buttons then.

One of the reasons I'd like it to operate like this is because I really like the slide in/out cases rather than a flip case and this would make it sooooo much easier.

well.. we could try.. but an extra process that will run all the time will add battery drain.. anyways we will see :)

zoomee

Sep 24, 2007
Hudds
hey guys,

The blackberries don't use the light sensor to achieve this. They have a magnetic strip built into the case which causes the two metal connectors on the back of the blackberry to 'activate' hence then switching the screen off.

umexed

Apr 26, 2008
Nicosia
I have a feeling the BlackBerry uses a reed (magnetic) switch (or alternative), as oppposed to an LDR (light sensor) to switch the screen on and off, triggered by a magnetic strip on the case, rather than darkness, which would be more 'reliable' I guess.

can someone google the blackberry device specifications and confirm how it does that?

yaelle

Dec 20, 2008

Actually - I think you are right - just tried the BB in my HD pouch and it doesn't turn off/on :-(