[Kernel][Apr 26] Perseus

Search This thread

netsyd

Jul 3, 2006
Anyone have any suggestions for the best color settings on the "screen" tab?

I know everyone is different .. but I'm just looking for a recommended starting point if someone has calibrated the screen already.

9wire

Jul 19, 2009
Re: [Kernel][Jan 31] Perseus

Anyone have any suggestions for the best color settings on the "screen" tab?

I know everyone is different .. but I'm just looking for a recommended starting point if someone has calibrated the screen already.

I have no idea what I'm doing, but I can turn stuff up, so gave it a couple clicks. If your into modding your phone, turning stuff up is always good, amirite? Seriously, I just played with it, turned a couple things up, then back down, then realized I was in over my head and better leave it alone. Don't think it will break anything, just mess with it.

netsyd

Jul 3, 2006
Don't think it will break anything, just mess with it.

You're right... but I have managed to make it look like cr@p quite a few times. Just wondering if anyone found any settings they thought looked really good.

I've got a Nexus 4 - and after molesarecoming tweaked the color settings it looks fantastic. The Note 2 looks horrible next to it.

9wire

Jul 19, 2009

You're right... but I have managed to make it look like cr@p quite a few times. Just wondering if anyone found any settings they thought looked really good.

I've got a Nexus 4 - and after molesarecoming tweaked the color settings it looks fantastic. The Note 2 looks horrible next to it.

naga2yve.jpg

2a6uvujy.jpg

yjapejan.jpg

Arrio

Nov 11, 2011

I wonder if it's possible to tweak it so that the color will be similar to that of an Iphone 5.

Last edited:

9wire

Jul 19, 2009

I wonder if it's possible to tweak it so that the color will be similar to that of an Iphone 5.

Never had an I phone, I just messed with it, change 1 thing, look at some high res pics, change, look, until I thought it looked good. I like bright myself, I usually keep the brightness at 90%. It's like audio mods, very hard to get 2 people to agree, just play with it. At worst you can just go with the default, it's not bad out of the box.

ZackFearheart

May 7, 2012
Columbus
So, I'm running CleanROM ACE 4.5 and thinking of flashing a new kernel.. What is involved in it? I read the base post, and all... Would this increase my battery life? I get about 1D 4h before I need to charge.

spycedtx

Oct 19, 2009

So, I'm running CleanROM ACE 4.5 and thinking of flashing a new kernel.. What is involved in it? I read the base post, and all... Would this increase my battery life? I get about 1D 4h before I need to charge.

Running 4.5 as well. It was simple and painless. Download the zip from op, flashed with twrp. Done.

-----
I would love to help you, but help yourself first: ask a better question
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

R1K05@N

Feb 29, 2012
Honolulu

Article on iPhone 5 v Note II color differences: http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-57540240-85/screens-test-part-2-galaxy-note-2-vs-apple-iphone-5/

If you take a look at these comparisons, through the screen mode, you may be able to get your screen closer to the iPhone 5 BUT one thing that will probably not change is the contrast and brightness (white & black levels).

Checking on the RGB color level comparisons on their CalMan readings, the Note II has much higher greens (edit) and less reds... Blues (edit) may stay the same-ish. The contrast ratio for any Samsung device will always be redonkulous due to the way the screen works... adjusting the greyscale may help (bring it down... labled DE Amp and maybe the max threshold might help with certain things you see on your device... I don't claim to know exactly where to go on your device, just kind of pointing you towards the math that was put out on the color differences between the devices you are curious about so you can make a better guess on where to adjust your screen towards).

Remember: Screen Mode 'Movie' does not move anything on the screen adjustments. Standard or Natural will give you a 'closer to iphone contrast ratio'... otherwise, your Dynamic mode will blow it out of the water. From there, adjust.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arrio

brosenz

May 5, 2010
US
Google Pixel 7 Pro
URGENT HELP - Brick

I had installed CM 10.1 successfully and everything was fine. The I installed Perseus Kernel from ROM Manager and it booted into Recovery (CWM) and installed Perseus without a problem, then when rebooting I got stuck on the screen "Samsung GALAXY Note II". I've tried to press the Vol-, Vol+ and Vol-, Home, remove Battery, etc, to try to get into Recovery or Download mode but nothing, I always get the same screen "Samsung GALAXY Note II". Please an help or advice on how to get into Recovery or Download mode, what should I do?.

NOTE: I already removed the SD Card and SIM Card.

UPDATE: I did try the removing the battery but did not work the first time, probably did not fully pressed Vol+ and Vol-, now it's working fine. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

intuition34

Jul 7, 2006

I had installed CM 10.1 successfully and everything was fine. The I installed Perseus Kernel from ROM Manager and it booted into Recovery (CWM) and installed Perseus without a problem, then when rebooting I got stuck on the screen "Samsung GALAXY Note II". I've tried to press the Vol-, Vol+ and Vol-, Home, remove Battery, etc, to try to get into Recovery or Download mode but nothing, I always get the same screen "Samsung GALAXY Note II". Please an help or advice on how to get into Recovery or Download mode, what should I do?.

NOTE: I already removed the SD Card and SIM Card.

UPDATE: I did try the removing the battery but did not work the first time, probably did not fully pressed Vol+ and Vol-, now it's working fine. Thanks a lot.

Uhmmmm. Pretty sure this is a touchwiz kernel and therefore not usable for anything 10.1 derived. (but I could mistaken).

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

speghead

Aug 11, 2012

Snipped

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

gerazz

Jan 27, 2013
Coquitlam
quick question

if i use rom toolbox, will the perseus kernel 5g profile mess up? i do not plan to change anything on the profile. just want to make sure it does not somehow overwrite the 5g profile just because i want to use the room toolbox.

R1K05@N

Feb 29, 2012
Honolulu
Greatest kernel evaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrr. Everyone (myself include) will never have a reason to complain about color on our device ever again.

rsalan

Jan 11, 2012
Boston
Yes, for people who haven't been following. There is now a master screen setting that automatically sets the display to be as true and accurate as possible!

Zode1

Sep 26, 2012
Re: [Kernel][Feb 26] Perseus

Where in stweaks is this new master screen setting?

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a direct port of my kernel on the international I9300 Galaxy S3 and sidekick to the international N7100/5 Note 2 kernels.

Recap of features:
    • CPU overclocking up to 1.8GHz and undervolting from 600mV to 1400mV.
    • GPU overclocking and undervolting.
    • GPU scaling reworked.
    • Screen sharpness and colour modifications.
    • Extended Pegasusq and improved Performance governors.
    • Removed Touch Booster and replaced with custom Flexrate mechanic.
    • Improved scheduler power management for improved idle residencies on auxiliary CPUs.
    • USB charging rate limit increased to 900mA.

This is supposed to be merely a proxy thread. Please refer to the N7100/5 thread for full changelogs, explanations, bug-reports and other issues. Kernel for specific device versions will be posted here.

This kernel is for the North American AT&T variant SGH-i317 and Canadian SGH-i317m for Rogers, Telus, Bell, and SaskTel. Versions for other variants are found in their respective forums.
    STWEAKS PROFILES! and proper bootloop fix.

Alright! now that Perseus Kernel .28 is out we have a new added feature that lets us implement override profiles!

What does this mean?
    Well now this UNCHECK SET ON BOOT zip will actually just update your current default.profile and uncheck the set on boot options.
    Which makes it the best fix for a bootloop, because you can then go back in to your old settings that failed and modify them.

I also am going to be generating 5 profiles. (will edit this post)
    Each more aggressive overclocking and undervolting.
    For people who are unsure of how to do do this properly with Stweaks,
    You can just flash any of my profiles.
    I recommend you download them all start at 5 and flash, if you bootloop or crash move up a profile until your stable!

Profile 5G is the one I run everyday (and is the lowest values for voltages)
    It also is 200-1800 mhz overclocked and gpu 160-640 mhz
    My custom governor tweaks (I believe the cpu is too aggressive and also the cores dont respond as much as id like to see them responding, 1 core on idle, 4 cores when needed.)

Profile 5 is the one I run everyday (and is the lowest values for voltages)
    It also is 200-1800 mhz overclocked and gpu 160-640 mhz
    STOCK governor settings

Profile 4 is slightly less aggressive on the voltages
    200-1800 mhz 160-640

Profile 3 is slightly less aggressive on the voltage curve
    200-1800mhz 160-533

Profile 2 is slightly less aggressive on the voltage curve
    200-1600mhz 160-533

Profile 1 is slightly less aggressive on the voltage curve
    200-1600mhz 160-533

Profile 0 is the DEFAULT profile the kernel came with. (it just deletes your profile and rebuilds it so its safe for all versions inlcuding S3-i9000)

EDIT: I have also included a zip with just the governor tweaks, these will not alter your voltages on cpu/gpu and will not change your max cpu

custom governor tweaks detailed below:
    here is my logic

defaults parameter mine
    30000 sampling rate 20000
    82 up threshold 90
    5 down diff 10
    40% thres for response 81
    1200 freq for fast down 1600
    95 up thres fast down 98
    37 up step 18
    6 splice amount 4
    13 down diff 8

With the default settings when the load is measured if the cpu load is over 82% off current freq step it will scale up.
    New logic added in perseus .27 now gives us 3 up steps instead of just a fixed one.
    so your cpu will step up more aggressively based on how much above the threshold it is, not just if its over, this is
    great.

Right now, if we are coming in with a
    load of 83%-88% we increase freq by 300mHz
    if we are 89-94% we increase freq by 400 mHz and
    if we are 94-100% then we increase freq by 700 mHz.
    This is too fast for me.
    For a few reasons the main one being that the amount we jump has gone up because our max cpu is 1800 instead of 1600 (at 1600 the jump ups are 200,300,600mhz)

The logic I use on my N2 is as follows:
    Load of 90-94 = 100 mhz jump
    load of 95-98 = 200 mhz jump
    load of 99-100 = 400 mhz jump

The responsiveness of the phone is not compromised at all, the cpu just steps up less and only when it has really high loads.
    It still gets to 1800 and does many operations there, but it comes out of 1800 fast and when it jumps down it jumps down further.
    The fastdown has been upped from 1200 to 1600 , meaning it now requires 98% or higher load to jump up when above 1600 mhz not 1200 mhz, I found that the CPU was always in 1800 or like way lower,
    never in the 1700 - 1200 range as it used to need 95% load to be in that range.
    The cores hotplug has been slightly changed to turn off cores quicker when not in use and takes more samples to turn them on so they only turn on if load exists for longer duration of time.

PLEASE NOTE
    Flashing any of these zips OTHER THEN THE UNCHECK SET ON BOOT will REMOVE your STWEAKS settings and replace them with the profile. PLEASE back up your profile if you want to save it.
    Where is it?
    /data/.perseus/default.profile << back this guy up. rename to default.profile2 works. or copy to sdcard.

Due to the way that these changes are applied (at initial boot) it will take longer then usual to display the boot animation for the first boot after changing profile.
    This also means that you cannot flash 2 of these files in one boot, for example profile 3 and the governor tweaks.
    You would need to flash the governor tweaks or the profile first and then reboot, and then flash the other.
    Re: [Kernel][Feb 26] Perseus

White looks a little red ish. Not sure if it's just me.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

There were some setting that someone over in the other Perseus thread posted and they help subdue the redish tint.

I'll see if I can find them and post back here.

OK here is what the settings were:

In the screen settings enable register hook and enable master sequence. don't change anything else. Go down to chroma saturation weight and change the gains as following:

red gain=5
    green gain=5
    blue gain=10
    yellow gain=5
    cyan gain=7
    magenta gain =7

then go down to white colour balance
    red in white= -13
    green in white = -15
    blue in white= +7

If you like them give tainka a thanks.

Sent from Mars
    great to see an OC kernel

hope it continues to evolve and improve... and maybe i'll see a better way to alter GPU other than scouring the forum for scripts...
    You will have a configuration app within a few days.
    Updated to 31.2; same changes as on the S3:

Samsung's fix for the sudden death syndrome (SDS) included. It is caused by eMMC failure on phones with VTU00M 16GB internal memory chips with revision 0xF1. You can check your phone with the "eMMC Brickbug Check" in the Play Store (Ignore the message if it says you're not affected, the type and revision is what matters). The patch is a firmware soft-patch that is applied on every boot and MMC resume, it is not a permanent fix. You will need to stay forever on kernels which include the patch, this also includes updated recoveries and their embedded kernels.

I also removed the stock kernels from the first post as they are outdated and dangerous.