[ROM]ICScrewD ‬‬‬‬‬♦‬♦♦FINAL♦♦♦[JkayMod][2.1]

Would you prefer Google Music or stock Music as ROMs default music app?

• Google Music

Votes: 392 67.7%
  • Stock Music

Votes: 187 32.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Xander_25

Jan 4, 2012
Patience Hill
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Hey jivy.. I'm not an American, but I do understand the enormous sacrifice and risk you take each time you go out. So hats off to you, and this amazing rom you created. I really hope that you do have an uneventful time as used2hvatreo said and that the good Lord brings you back safely... Be safe man!!:D

mcorrie1121

Jul 4, 2007
Oregon
Am I missing something? Did he make an announcement? I see 2.1.1 isn't making its way out, which I'm OK with, I'm just curious why.

EDIT: Ahhh, the first page. Good luck to ya, man!

Last edited:

sawah

Mar 24, 2010
Thankyou so much for the hard work you do here and for our country! Look forward to seeing you around in the forums. Great rom!

sremick

Jul 17, 2010
www.turtlekickers.com
Gah... figures that the first ROM I install for my new GS2 gets discontinued the day after I install it. :p Ah well.

I'll still post my observations/feedback...

1) While I initially liked the ICS theme, I keep finding places where it doesn't work. There are buttons where the text is too big and overflows off the button, buttons and pulldowns that no longer look like such because they've been flattened, and odd dark theming here and there which just doesn't work in that location.

2) I miss all my lockscreen options from the Captivate days. :( We used to get handfuls of really nice lockscreens to choose from. None of the GS2 ROMs seem to offer this though, for some reason.

3) Do I miss out on (or gain) anything specific by running an XWLA4-based ROM (Galaxy Note) on my GS2 versus a native GS2 ROM like something KH7 or KK6-based? I remember on the Captivate, if we ran a native ROM we had Audience support, but if we ran an I9000-ported ROM we gained HSUPA+ (but lost Audience).

4) Was getting some random reboots with the latest Siyah kernel, but switched to the latest Entropy DD kernel and they went away.

5) Since ICScrewD is now EOL, I hope it's not rude to ask this... but, if you're going to migrate to a new ROM in order to continue to get updates, I'm curious what other people will be choosing. I originally tried SHOstock but quickly moved off from it as it only had ONE lockscreen so I was hoping for more.

Overall, though, it's been a much-improved experience from my Captivate. Everything is faster and more-stable. Restored my apps and data with TB and been enjoying it immensely. :)

78Staff

Sep 26, 2007
Cosmo, Fl
LOL you and me both, I have a knack for picking and liking abandoned ROMS :(.

Entropy 2.15-C cleared up all Sod issues i had with the various Siyah builds.

I like the rom, but since EOL will probably migrate back to unNamed, or it's variant UnOriginal.

dandrumheller

Jul 10, 2010
Southern Maine / Seacoast NH
Gah... figures that the first ROM I install for my new GS2 gets discontinued the day after I install it. :p Ah well.

I'll still post my observations/feedback...

1) While I initially liked the ICS theme, I keep finding places where it doesn't work. There are buttons where the text is too big and overflows off the button, buttons and pulldowns that no longer look like such because they've been flattened, and odd dark theming here and there which just doesn't work in that location.

2) I miss all my lockscreen options from the Captivate days. :( We used to get handfuls of really nice lockscreens to choose from. None of the GS2 ROMs seem to offer this though, for some reason.

3) Do I miss out on (or gain) anything specific by running an XWLA4-based ROM (Galaxy Note) on my GS2 versus a native GS2 ROM like something KH7 or KK6-based? I remember on the Captivate, if we ran a native ROM we had Audience support, but if we ran an I9000-ported ROM we gained HSUPA+ (but lost Audience).

4) Was getting some random reboots with the latest Siyah kernel, but switched to the latest Entropy DD kernel and they went away.

5) Since ICScrewD is now EOL, I hope it's not rude to ask this... but, if you're going to migrate to a new ROM in order to continue to get updates, I'm curious what other people will be choosing. I originally tried SHOstock but quickly moved off from it as it only had ONE lockscreen so I was hoping for more.

Overall, though, it's been a much-improved experience from my Captivate. Everything is faster and more-stable. Restored my apps and data with TB and been enjoying it immensely. :)

Just a couple things for you - I think most folks over here on the SGS2 are using MiLocker or WidgetLocker to customize lockscreens, rather than having options built into the ROM - for people who are building in options, seems like it's typically via JKay Mod (as it is here on ICScrewD). Personally I like WidgetLocker, but many seem to prefer MiLocker.

Unless I'm totally off base here (I don't think I am) XWLA4 is not a Galaxy Note base, but an i9100 international SGS2 Base. AFAIK, the only thing we really lose on these (and I might be wrong here - can't remember if it was actually resolved or if all the devs just disable it in their ROMs) is use of the noise cancelling mic.

I haven't really noticed text overlapping buttons in this ROM, but as far as the menu contrast issues, e.g. black text on dark grey background, I believe that is an unfortunate interaction between some apps and how Vertimus put his ICS theme together. I've (mostly) gotten around it by choosing apps that behave nicely with it.

I have been on ICScrewD pretty much exclusively since it was released, so I can't comment on performance of other GB ROMs, but at this point, I'm planning on sticking to what I have until I see a level of development of ICS that I can live with as a daily driver. Being kind of OCD, I can't deal with the screen on/off bug over there in a daily driver ROM. Once that gets resolved, I'll probably go to ICS. Would prefer it to be CM9 or AOKP, but for that to be the case I'd also need video recording working - so if they have that sorted as well, that's where I'll be, otherwise it'll be a Sammy based ICS port for me.

sremick

Jul 17, 2010
www.turtlekickers.com
Just a couple things for you - I think most folks over here on the SGS2 are using MiLocker or WidgetLocker to customize lockscreens, rather than having options built into the ROM - for people who are building in options, seems like it's typically via JKay Mod (as it is here on ICScrewD). Personally I like WidgetLocker, but many seem to prefer MiLocker.

I've tried MiLocker and got very frustrated with it. I've heard of WidgetLocker but not tried it. Both get LOTS of complaints about excessive battery drain, so considering that was one of my biggest gripes with my Captivate, I've tended to shy away from 3rd-party locker utilities (many of which seem to have compatibility issues with the GS2 specifically, for some reason).

I guess I was just spoiled... but on the Captivate ROMs, having 7+ lock screen options baked right into the ROM was the "norm". And they were very, very nice lockscreens.

Unless I'm totally off base here (I don't think I am) XWLA4 is not a Galaxy Note base, but an i9100 international SGS2 Base.

Hmm maybe you're right as I didn't spend tons of time researching, but the bit I did suggested it originated off the Galaxy Note (one of the things I did was search all open forum for "LA4" in the topic. Topics in the Galaxy Note boards made up the vast-majority and it suggested that that's where it came from).

Incidentally... shouldn't all LA4-based ROMs be in the "Ported Development" board, either way??

AFAIK, the only thing we really lose on these (and I might be wrong here - can't remember if it was actually resolved or if all the devs just disable it in their ROMs) is use of the noise cancelling mic.

As in the Audience chip? Grr, bummer... didn't realize that was still an issue with the GS2. Since I'm not getting my lock screens on LA4 ROMs and stock ROMs support HSUPA+, maybe I should switch back.

at this point, I'm planning on sticking to what I have until I see a level of development of ICS that I can live with as a daily driver. Being kind of OCD, I can't deal with the screen on/off bug over there in a daily driver ROM. Once that gets resolved, I'll probably go to ICS.

I'm feeling the same way, and so am willing to put up with some quirks as the ICS development seems to be going strong since the I9100 sources dropped, so hopefully something solid will come of that soon and my 2.3.x ROM experience on the GS2 will be only temporary.

dandrumheller

Jul 10, 2010
I've tried MiLocker and got very frustrated with it. I've heard of WidgetLocker but not tried it. Both get LOTS of complaints about excessive battery drain, so considering that was one of my biggest gripes with my Captivate, I've tended to shy away from 3rd-party locker utilities (many of which seem to have compatibility issues with the GS2 specifically, for some reason).

I guess I was just spoiled... but on the Captivate ROMs, having 7+ lock screen options baked right into the ROM was the "norm". And they were very, very nice lockscreens.

Hmm maybe you're right as I didn't spend tons of time researching, but the bit I did suggested it originated off the Galaxy Note (one of the things I did was search all open forum for "LA4" in the topic. Topics in the Galaxy Note boards made up the vast-majority and it suggested that that's where it came from).

Edit: there is a thread detailing what ends up in ported dev vs dev forums - basically if there is significant modification to any base by a dev here, it goes in regular dev. Ported is for things that come from the i9100 forum with minimal mods, just enough to get them functional on our device. That's not a comprehensive explanation, but I think that's the basis for the distinction. All came about because of a glut of hellraised/flashaholic'ed i9100 ROMs that got ported over and clogged the regular dev forum.

Incidentally... shouldn't all LA4-based ROMs be in the "Ported Development" board, either way??

As in the Audience chip? Grr, bummer... didn't realize that was still an issue with the GS2. Since I'm not getting my lock screens on LA4 ROMs and stock ROMs support HSUPA+, maybe I should switch back.

I'm feeling the same way, and so am willing to put up with some quirks as the ICS development seems to be going strong since the I9100 sources dropped, so hopefully something solid will come of that soon and my 2.3.x ROM experience on the GS2 will be only temporary.

I have been running my SGS2 with widgetlocker since I've had it, so I don't have a non-widgetlocker basis to compare battery life, but I can get, in good conditions 3.5 - 4 hours screen on in 16-20 hour uptimes pretty consistently, so I don't think it's a big battery killer.

It may be possible that there is an LA4 GNote ROM as well - I believe those characters in a Sammy ROM name indicate year/month/sequential release number. There are a couple posts floating around somewhere that explain what all the characters indicate - can't remember where that post is ATM.

Not coming from a Cappy, I'm not familiar with Audience Chip issues over there. I do remember hearing about it coming up here and there over here, but I don't recall it being a big issue (could be wrong here as well) but I believe we have support for it, other than a functioning noise cancelling mic.

Last edited:

fone_fanatic

Aug 4, 2005
Central Texas
Hmm. Actually, no. it wont run even if i click on it in the system/app folder after copy/paste and reboot. It tries to install but wont. Says 'application not installed'.

You don't install it. Just backup the mms.apk found in system/app (a rename will do) copy over the one I posted, set the proper permissions, then reboot.

Send yourself a text, wait till you receive the text, check your call log and text won't be there!

demon9206

No, ported development is for entire roms created for the international version, simply ported over, like villainmod. Villainmod isn't developed for our phone, it's for the i9100, so we just pet it over.

A Dev here, starting from search making their own room is original, no matter the base

striketrue

Jan 15, 2011
buffalo, ny
Searched the thread, couldn't find anything. Started having a screen wake issue today after running the rom for about a week. Had a random reboot, and ever since I am having inconsistent but persistant screen wakes. Has this been an issue for anyone else?

EDIT: Reflash seems to have fixed the issue, at least for now.

Last edited:

FireRaider

Apr 23, 2008
Salt Lake City
You don't install it. Just backup the mms.apk found in system/app (a rename will do) copy over the one I posted, set the proper permissions, then reboot.

Send yourself a text, wait till you receive the text, check your call log and text won't be there!

Seems like I did that. After I did the copy/paste like you said my messaging wouldn't open up. Cant remember now what the issue was now but I went to CM7. Just checking back here because I am not really liking it that much. LOL.

If I end up coming back I will PM you if I try it again.

phatalbert1000

Jul 19, 2007
Kentucky
What's up guys? Since Jivy is not going to be able to continue with the rom. I am going to take over for a while as long as time allows so. Please list some features and stuff you guys would like to see in the next update. Thanks

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA

HOOOORAY! Thanks so much. I've tried a couple ICS roms over the past week and keep coming back.

Here's what I would love to have:

Happens when DPI is lowered:
1. Calendar, Dialer, and Calculator are altered
2. Bar atop settings turns yellow.
3. Sometimes the clear all notification X disappears (Depends on the DPI- and really, I don't care so much as it's there at 225 DPI and that's what I use)

General Stuff:
1. Last I checked the axiom battery didn't work in the Kitchen
2. Gray on black text in some situations.

All in all. I'd love to see some more stuff in ICS Kitchen and I know a lot of these guys would like to see Red and Green editions (personally, I'm probably sticking with blue :)

Thanks again!

dandrumheller

Jul 10, 2010
HOOOORAY! Thanks so much. I've tried a couple ICS roms over the past week and keep coming back.

Here's what I would love to have:

Happens when DPI is lowered:
1. Calendar, Dialer, and Calculator are altered
2. Bar atop settings turns yellow.
3. Sometimes the clear all notification X disappears (Depends on the DPI- and really, I don't care so much as it's there at 225 DPI and that's what I use)

General Stuff:
1. Last I checked the axiom battery didn't work in the Kitchen
2. Gray on black text in some situations.

All in all. I'd love to see some more stuff in ICS Kitchen and I know a lot of these guys would like to see Red and Green editions (personally, I'm probably sticking with blue :)

Thanks again!

I'll second the sorting out of the black text on dark grey background in some menus as my number one issue.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [ROM]ICScrewD ‬‬‬‬‬♦‬♦♦FINAL♦♦♦[JkayMod][2.1]

Possibly deploying come December so I have a lot of personal and professional things I need to take care of. Thanks for all of the support. I will still be around the forums, but very minimal. It has been a great run but I need to attend to life. Thanks...

.downloads
    [/CENTER]
    edited.......
    Update on things:

Swipe to remove notifications are finally working thanks to shoman's help. Every time I built it would FC he got it working for me last night so thanks again to him :) . Blue Edition will be out first like normal, then red and green will follow suit. Fixing most complaints I recall reading so look for a release in the next day or two :)
    1.6.1 might be a final update.

I might have to sell my phone due to some screw ups by the government. As you know I'm active duty Navy and wife uses my college benefits and the housing allowance we get every month somehow they thought we owed and didn't send it. Now we have to wait a few weeks to get it.

I truly appreciate all the support you've shown the ROM. I've had a blast providing it to you.

Again thank you for all the support you've shown the ROM and it was a pleasure providing it to you. If me and the wife figure out an alternative I'll be sure to keep you guys informed, but as of right now your phones will hand to find a new ROM to call home.

Running ICScrewD ROM
    Late night release today. I've got all the kinks worked out minus one thing. Thanks for the patience.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk