[Q] My buddies work gave him a 4.2.2 (btloader/recov/root/Fulldskencryption question)

Search This thread

faylix

Sep 8, 2009
Boston
Hey guys,

My buddys work gave him an AT&T Galaxy S4. Currently its:

Stock
Samsung-SGH-I337

I come from the HTC world and have been doing some reading but I figured I would ask straight out -

I would like to root, install the TWRP recovery (see why in a second), install CM or some other stable rom (suggestions?) and setup the Full Disk Encryption.

TWRP is the only recovery right now that Supports FDE - so thats kind of a necessary.

Can someone school me?

Can I unlock the samsung bootloader?
Do I need to use this LOKI tool? Is there a TWRP compliant LOKI?
Is Cyanogenmod a good choice for a rom? I haven't seen a stable 11 version listed in the rom section?

I know safestrap has some trouble with FDE

Has anyone tried their AT&T S4 with FDE after rooting / installing rom?

Can you point me to the root files I will need?

Thank you.

- Faylix

DeadlySin9

Sep 2, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Hey guys,

Stock
Samsung-SGH-I337

I come from the HTC world and have been doing some reading but I figured I would ask straight out -

I would like to root, install the TWRP recovery (see why in a second), install CM or some other stable rom (suggestions?) and setup the Full Disk Encryption.

TWRP is the only recovery right now that Supports FDE - so thats kind of a necessary.

Can someone school me?

Is Cyanogenmod a good choice for a rom? I haven't seen a stable 11 version listed in the rom section?

Thank you.

- Faylix

We need to know the firmware version he is on. Ask for the baseband it shows if he goes into Settings>About Device.
If he is on MDB or MDL, he should use the CASUAL rooting tool in the development section.
If he is on MF3, then he can not use this. Safestrap is not compatible with FDE and therefore he will not get any ROMs. I believe someone tried turning on FDE after installing a ROM and it didn't work. I suppose it might if it's on the stock slot but then Safestrap would certainly stop working.

Reactions: faylix

faylix

Sep 8, 2009
Boston
We need to know the firmware version he is on. Ask for the baseband it shows if he goes into Settings>About Device.
If he is on MDB or MDL, he should use the CASUAL rooting tool in the development section.
If he is on MF3, then he can not use this. Safestrap is not compatible with FDE and therefore he will not get any ROMs. I believe someone tried turning on FDE after installing a ROM and it didn't work. I suppose it might if it's on the stock slot but then Safestrap would certainly stop working.

I337UCUAMF3 ....

sigh. Is there nothing that can be done?

is it not possible to root using motochopper?

Then install TWRP using ODIN3 with the instructions : http://www.theandroidsoul.com/latest-twrp-recovery-for-att-galaxy-s4-android-4-4-compatible/

then install Cyanogenmod 11 the snapshot for att galaxy S4?

thank you guys

- faylix

DeadlySin9

Sep 2, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I337UCUAMF3 ....

Then install TWRP using ODIN3 with the instructions : http://www.theandroidsoul.com/latest-twrp-recovery-for-att-galaxy-s4-android-4-4-compatible/

thank you guys

- faylix

CASUAL uses the motochopper exploit, which was patched in MF3. You can't use TWRP because the loki exploit was patched also. And you definitely can not run Cyanogenmod or any AOSP based ROM on our device until a new exploit is found.

kpirnie

Recognized Contributor
CASUAL uses the motochopper exploit, which was patched in MF3. You can't use TWRP because the loki exploit was patched also. And you definitely can not run Cyanogenmod or any AOSP based ROM on our device until a new exploit is found.

try saferoot or Kingo

Sent from my Deadly Venom SS 3.0 S4 ~ 20GB free cloud https://copy.com?r=vtiraF

faylix

Sep 8, 2009
Boston

even though its 4.2.2 ?

Crap crap crap...

kevp75:

Can saferoot or kingo give me the safe ability to run a rom with Full Disk encryption or do they depend on safestrap?

thank you guys ....

- faylix

kpirnie

Recognized Contributor
even though its 4.2.2 ?

Crap crap crap...

kevp75:

Can saferoot or kingo give me the safe ability to run a rom with Full Disk encryption or do they depend on safestrap?

thank you guys ....

- faylix

not sure about that. I do know mk2 can be rooted... and the only recovery right now that works is SafeStrap.

I only dont know because I havent done it... and am a little afraid to try... lol

just got my s4 to where i want it after much fiddlin ;) big thanks to @ted77usa and @Venom0642 and @rebel1699

Last edited:

DeadlySin9

Sep 2, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
even though its 4.2.2 ?

Crap crap crap...

kevp75:

thank you guys ....

- faylix

Yes, MF3 patched it even though it is 4.2.2. Saferoot and Kingo are only root methods, and Safestrap is still the only recovery you can use even after those so no FDE still.

Reactions: kpirnie

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

Stock
    Samsung-SGH-I337

Can someone school me?

Thank you.

- Faylix

I337UCUAMF3 ....

thank you guys

- faylix

try saferoot or Kingo

even though its 4.2.2 ?

Crap crap crap...

kevp75:

thank you guys ....

- faylix

Yes, MF3 patched it even though it is 4.2.2. Saferoot and Kingo are only root methods, and Safestrap is still the only recovery you can use even after those so no FDE still.