OTA Update and Battery Life

Search This thread

javaguy110

Oct 6, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S10+
I thought I'd share my experience in case it helps somebody else out.

When I first bought my phone, it had absolutely stellar battery life. I was able to get over 4 hours of screen time with %20 still remaining. Last Friday (4/18), I took the Verizon OTA update and everything seemed to go perfectly fine.

I am bone stock, s-on, no root...haven't even attempted the s-off.....yet.

Over the weekend I noticed horrible battery life. I was only able to achieve around 2 hours of screen time and even idle seemed to sap it much more quickly than before. I went through several reboots without a difference.

So, Monday night, I thought...hmmm...well fastboot still keeps some things hanging around in order to boot more quickly. So I went into the Power settings, unchecked the fastboot box, performed a power down, let it sit for 30 seconds, powered on and charged it over night.

Lo and behold, my original battery performance is back.

Best of luck.

Reactions: hashkar

1ManWolfePack

Jul 11, 2012
I turned off fast boot and it fixed a few things. I also Greenified FB and FB messenger. My battery life tripled. Lol. Was craps before.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW

javaguy110

Oct 6, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S10+
Well, the fastboot doesn't cause the drain. Fastboot keeps some things cached so you can reboot faster. Unchecking it allows a more complete restart. I haven't rebooted ever since that first reboot with fastboot unchecked. It's still running great!

Sent from my gunmetal grey M8!

Res215dg

Mar 16, 2009
I was getting horrible battery life after the OTA update

But at the same time I had just rooted and was messing with a bunch of sys files using titanium backup, so not sure if something I did along those lines was effecting battery performance.

I couldn't get through 12 hours of mostly idle time without needing a recharge- so I ended up resetting my phone back to factory and and now I get amazing battery life again

Napoleones

May 3, 2014
Battery life is issue since smartphones have been released. I'm used to it. What I do? If you think the great look and feel of the HTC One M8 are worth a slight stamina sacrifice, consider carrying around an external battery unit for emergencies. You can find little portable chargers on eBay.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I thought I'd share my experience in case it helps somebody else out.

When I first bought my phone, it had absolutely stellar battery life. I was able to get over 4 hours of screen time with %20 still remaining. Last Friday (4/18), I took the Verizon OTA update and everything seemed to go perfectly fine.

I am bone stock, s-on, no root...haven't even attempted the s-off.....yet.

Over the weekend I noticed horrible battery life. I was only able to achieve around 2 hours of screen time and even idle seemed to sap it much more quickly than before. I went through several reboots without a difference.

So, Monday night, I thought...hmmm...well fastboot still keeps some things hanging around in order to boot more quickly. So I went into the Power settings, unchecked the fastboot box, performed a power down, let it sit for 30 seconds, powered on and charged it over night.

Lo and behold, my original battery performance is back.

Best of luck.