cm security found towelroot?

Search This thread

a.demarco

May 4, 2013
Holmdel
Ok, so my S4 is still on MDK, and I have been rooted since I got the phone last May, running Hyperdrive.

I recently installed CM Security and CleanMaster for sh*ts and giggles, and CM Security found towelroot on my phone. I did not root using towelroot, so why would it find it? Or is towelroot what CM Security uses to describe any rooted phone?

I don't want to allow them to resolve it if it is gonna break root, but I know for a fact I didn't use towelroot to root the phone originally.

Help please...

joshm.1219

May 7, 2013
Philadelphia
Sbreen probably included the towelroot.apk in hyperdrive because safestrap users sometimes have an issue keeping root flashing new roms on 4.4.2, if they don't flash the su.zip with the rom.

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

Use a file expert and see what folder towelroot is in.

a.demarco

May 4, 2013
Holmdel
Sbreen probably included the towelroot.apk in hyperdrive because safestrap users sometimes have an issue keeping root flashing new roms on 4.4.2, if they don't flash the su.zip with the rom.

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

Use a file expert and see what folder towelroot is in.

excellent, thank you for clearing that up!

jasonsc1

Jun 3, 2013
Chester
I too have this this Question only lil different. I have a Note 3 & I rooted via Kingo. CM security found Towel Root & Fake Id today. I do Not want to lose Root but I read Towel Root is a Security Nightmare because other apps can give there self Root permissions & take over. Again I didn't use towel root I used Kingo, I currently still on 4.3. The only other odd thing is Why I installed CM today. I Recieved 3 Notifications from Google Play today that said I should uninstall Metal Craft Theme for Next Launcher & 2 others by the same person. I uninstalled them & installed CM & this is what CM found. Now I'm not sure what to do because I don't want to Lose Root. Also I wonder what happened with the Theme apps & Google Play. Anyways Any Help is Much Appreciated. Thanks Jason

Celestial Fury

Aug 19, 2013
Sim City
I too have this this Question only lil different. I have a Note 3 & I rooted via Kingo. CM security found Towel Root & Fake Id today. I do Not want to lose Root but I read Towel Root is a Security Nightmare because other apps can give there self Root permissions & take over. Again I didn't use towel root I used Kingo, I currently still on 4.3. The only other odd thing is Why I installed CM today. I Recieved 3 Notifications from Google Play today that said I should uninstall Metal Craft Theme for Next Launcher & 2 others by the same person. I uninstalled them & installed CM & this is what CM found. Now I'm not sure what to do because I don't want to Lose Root. Also I wonder what happened with the Theme apps & Google Play. Anyways Any Help is Much Appreciated. Thanks Jason

CM found towel root on Xperia Tx but not on Xperia Z1. Root is more important. Ignore CM for root matters.

The theme app has nothing to do with root so don't see how you'll lose it. As for why, depends on what CM says about it.

jasonsc1

Jun 3, 2013
Chester
What I really want to know is How CM found Towel Root on my Note 3 & I Rooted with Kingo?

Also If I let CM fix the Towel Root security issue Will I lose Root?

Google Play to me I should uninstall the Theme apps so I have already uninstalled them & they are no longer in the Play store. I was just wondering, could they have caused the Fake Id, & Towel Root Security Risks?

Celestial Fury

Aug 19, 2013
Sim City
What I really want to know is How CM found Towel Root on my Note 3 & I Rooted with Kingo?

Also If I let CM fix the Towel Root security issue Will I lose Root?

Google Play to me I should uninstall the Theme apps so I have already uninstalled them & they are no longer in the Play store. I was just wondering, could they have caused the Fake Id, & Towel Root Security Risks?
Sounds like Kingo implemented TowelRoot in their KingoRoot then. As to CM fixing TowelRoot, I asked that question and the answer is above.

jasonsc1

Jun 3, 2013
Chester
When I Rooted my Note 3 back in March, I don't believe Towel Root even Existed, & if did not Exist then Kingo could not have inserted it into its Root method. The reason I say that is bc when I Rooted my JB Note 3, there was no way to Root Kit Kat & Towel Root Roots Kit Kat. What do you think?

Last edited:

Celestial Fury

Aug 19, 2013
Sim City
When I Rooted my Note 3 back in March, I don't believe Towel Root even Existed, & if did not Exist then Kingo could not have inserted it into its Root method. The reason I say that is bc when I Rooted my JB Note 3, there was no way to Root Kit Kat & Towel Root Roots Kit Kat. What do you think?
CM updates its detection methods from time to time. I'm guessing it's not a perfect identification of TowelRoot and they're just basing it on close approximation (rooting methods are somewhat similar) rather than outright mis-identification.

griffin_1

Feb 6, 2011
Okay, plot twist! I have a s5 that I got from my carrier almost a month ago and it's still stock., I haven't use root. I decided to try the cm security app and it did mention finding towel root. Is it something from the os / normal or it shouldn't find twoelroot?

Celestial Fury

Aug 19, 2013
Sim City
Okay, plot twist! I have a s5 that I got from my carrier almost a month ago and it's still stock., I haven't use root. I decided to try the cm security app and it did mention finding towel root. Is it something from the os / normal or it shouldn't find twoelroot?
Take a screenshot of CM Security "finding" towelroot and email to CM Security and ask for their comment. Let us know what they reply.

griffin_1

Feb 6, 2011
(Noticed now that this is a s4 forum and i have a s5, hope its okay bc the issue is the same)
The problem is that after i opened it to see what it said about it, i must have pressed something without noticing because now it doesnt find it. I tried removing and installing the app again, but it still doesnt show up now :/ i just hope i havent compromised any possibility of root, especially without tripping knox.

Claudione33

May 27, 2016
I had the same issue on a unrooted phone.
I installed the suggested app (CM said "Solve this problem -Towelroot- with our CM security app") and the "threat" vanished.
I deleted the CM security app and the Towelroot thingy appeared again.

Honestly, I think it is just a sort of "scam" by CM to force you to install their apps.

Top Liked Posts