[Tut] Unroot the Galaxy SIII (for stock updates/warranty)

Search This thread

ashwin123

Nov 21, 2010
Chennai
www.youtube.com
Hi All,

I put together a tutorial on how to unroot the galaxy s3 and get it back to stock (for warranty or to get stock updates)

Things you will need...

1. PC Odin
(Check Attachment)

2. Your Firmware
Sammobile.com

Video Instructions

Written Instructions

1. Backup what you need to

2. Install ADB Drivers (Samsung Kies)

3. Put your phone in download mode - Hold Vol Dn + Power + Home for 10 seconds then press Vol Up to continue

4. Check if Custom Binary Download is NO, if Yes then proceed to step 6 if it says 1 count or something like that then go to step 5

5. Follow the thread below to reset the binary counter (or check my video tutorial to do so...) once reset get back to download mode
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1494114
(Thanks to Chainfire)

6. Go to SamMobile.com and download the latest firmware for GT-I9300 (Galaxy S3)
http://www.sammobile.com/firmware/?page=3&t=1&o=1&m=GT-I9300&r=-1#modelsa

7. The downloaded firmware would be a zip file right click and extract it to get a .tar.md5 file

8. Connect the phone to the pc via usb cable

9. Run Extract the zip file that you downloaded from the attachment below and run Odin3 1.85. exe

10. Make sure that only Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time are checked and click on PDA, select the .tar.md5 file that we just extracted

11. Now hit Start

12. Once the phone is up go to Settings -> About Device -> Status, check if the device status says NORMAL... if it does, then the device is unrooted if it still says MODIFIED continue...

13. Reboot into Android Recovery by holding Vol UP + Home + Power till you see Samsung Galaxy S3 displayed on screen...

14. Do a factory wipe and wipe cache then reboot

15. Check Download mode again, if 0 or NO you are done and the S3 can be sent in for warranty if it still shows 1 go to step 16.

16. If the counter stays at 1 it means u were on a non stock kernel... what u need to do now is root (since u have just unrooted you are now on a stock kernel) use triangle away and then flash the stock rom again.... the counter will then be 0 but status might show modified, in that case do a factory wipe and youd be back to a totally stock s3

Hope this guide helps someone :)

Ash aka Cursed4Eva

Attachments

• Odin3-v1.85.zip
    198.4 KB · Views: 44,971
Last edited:

egyptshun

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto
Is there a way to keep all my files on the phone?
Specifically when I get my SGS3, I want to keep/transfer my data files of my games from my old X10, you think it'll be possible?

AbuJaffer

Jun 23, 2012
OK, just to make sure I understand everything:

- Step 2 means "Install Kies"

- I will be able to update from Kies and whatnot after the "unroot" is over.

- Any SD card files will still be accessible, as long as they're official (say, an app loaded onto the SD card).

Thanks for your help in advance.

zaid10

Jul 25, 2012
custom rom

Does this work if i come from a custom rom galaxy s3? or i should first restore phone to rooted stock rom then follow the steps?

lukyjay

May 22, 2010
Perth
Does this work if i come from a custom rom galaxy s3? or i should first restore phone to rooted stock rom then follow the steps?
This will work no matter what's on your phone.

It's so easy.

1. Download your firmware and extract it to your Odin folder so you have your .tar.md5 file, flash it to your phone while your phone is in download mode using Odin. Use it as the PDA in Odin. Wait 5-15 minutes. Go to recovery and wipe everything. Done.

I'm doing it now :)

Reactions: vonniel

matijaz

Sep 28, 2012
Hey guys,

i have cm10 on my i9300 and i'd like to revert back to stock rom, unrooting is not needed, nor is triangle away needed. just want to try stock JB.
Problem is that i have Linux on my machines. I flashed my i9300 using cfroot and heimdall. can something similar be done with stock rom? i got the rom from sammobile.com.
Should i search for windows machine or?
Thanks in advance!

Edit: after untaring that .tar.md5 file i can see -rwxr--r-- root/root 1101420964 2012-08-21 10:44 system.img
-rwxr--r-- root/root 4964608 2012-08-21 10:44 boot.img
-rwxr--r-- root/root 52855268 2012-08-21 13:04 cache.img
-rwxr--r-- root/root 109941124 2012-08-21 13:04 hidden.img
-rwxr--r-- root/root 5652736 2012-08-21 10:44 recovery.img
-rwxr--r-- root/root 12583168 2012-08-27 08:43 modem.bin

should i try with heimdall -- cache cache.img --modem modem.bin --hidden hidden.img --recovery recovery.img

what to use for boot?
--primary-boot or?
anyone tried that?

Last edited:

Diiiiips

Sep 1, 2012
Yeah, I have a similar query. Which firmware would I need? Even after selecting my country and network I see a massive list of firmwares for the phone on SamMobile.

amit-noob

Jun 2, 2012
New Delhi
Take the latest one according to the date...all will work fine.....
Just in case if you will take the old one, you will need to do OTA Update or from kies to update the latest one

Reactions: ohdhalia

saad chughtai

Aug 25, 2012
I cant find my exact firmware guys i need help... the PDA and CSC limit it to singapore and malaysia. Its region is SFR(france). I live in pakistan and i am not receiving updates on my SGS3. While all others are. That led me to conclude that something was wrong. And this issue is more related to flashing stock firmware than unrooting but the latter is also a problem. I cant unroot as i cant find my exact firmware. If i need to claim my warranty i have to have my device status normal, no modifications,stock everything etc BUT the same product code with which i bought it and the same IMEI. Strange issue yes and im quite unlucky. Will those remain unchanged? region can be changed to france by an app but its the product code and IMEI im worried about. Any sugessions guys?

mooseboy85

Oct 24, 2012
Can any one help me please im using 4.0.4 ics rooted but want to update to offical 4.1.1 jellybean?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

cagatay117

Nov 1, 2012
What if our screen gets broken or a button stops working? What if the only thing we can do is handing the phone to service?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All,

I put together a tutorial on how to unroot the galaxy s3 and get it back to stock (for warranty or to get stock updates)

Things you will need...

1. PC Odin
    (Check Attachment)

2. Your Firmware
    Sammobile.com

Video Instructions

Written Instructions

1. Backup what you need to

2. Install ADB Drivers (Samsung Kies)

3. Put your phone in download mode - Hold Vol Dn + Power + Home for 10 seconds then press Vol Up to continue

4. Check if Custom Binary Download is NO, if Yes then proceed to step 6 if it says 1 count or something like that then go to step 5

5. Follow the thread below to reset the binary counter (or check my video tutorial to do so...) once reset get back to download mode
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1494114
    (Thanks to Chainfire)

6. Go to SamMobile.com and download the latest firmware for GT-I9300 (Galaxy S3)
    http://www.sammobile.com/firmware/?page=3&t=1&o=1&m=GT-I9300&r=-1#modelsa

7. The downloaded firmware would be a zip file right click and extract it to get a .tar.md5 file

8. Connect the phone to the pc via usb cable

9. Run Extract the zip file that you downloaded from the attachment below and run Odin3 1.85. exe

10. Make sure that only Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time are checked and click on PDA, select the .tar.md5 file that we just extracted

11. Now hit Start

12. Once the phone is up go to Settings -> About Device -> Status, check if the device status says NORMAL... if it does, then the device is unrooted if it still says MODIFIED continue...

13. Reboot into Android Recovery by holding Vol UP + Home + Power till you see Samsung Galaxy S3 displayed on screen...

14. Do a factory wipe and wipe cache then reboot

15. Check Download mode again, if 0 or NO you are done and the S3 can be sent in for warranty if it still shows 1 go to step 16.

16. If the counter stays at 1 it means u were on a non stock kernel... what u need to do now is root (since u have just unrooted you are now on a stock kernel) use triangle away and then flash the stock rom again.... the counter will then be 0 but status might show modified, in that case do a factory wipe and youd be back to a totally stock s3

Hope this guide helps someone :)

Ash aka Cursed4Eva
    This will work no matter what's on your phone.

It's so easy.

1. Download your firmware and extract it to your Odin folder so you have your .tar.md5 file, flash it to your phone while your phone is in download mode using Odin. Use it as the PDA in Odin. Wait 5-15 minutes. Go to recovery and wipe everything. Done.

I'm doing it now :)
    Take the latest one according to the date...all will work fine.....
    Just in case if you will take the old one, you will need to do OTA Update or from kies to update the latest one
    What About CDMA Sprint SIII?

This is exactly what I am looking for but I need to do this for a Sprint CDMA Type Galaxy SIII device... Does anyone know how? Or will this work? (If so, what firmware do I download?)

I would like if possible a step by step tutorial and how to eliminate all traces that I rooted the device and flashed non-stock ROMs on a Sprint CDMA Galaxy SIII

I tried searching the forums and this is as close to what I am looking for that I have found, if this is the wrong area don't bash me too hard and please point me in the right direction and maybe even hold my hand while we walk there x3 I need to take this into Warranty and don't wanna risk being caught red handed with traces of a custom ROM on my device rendering my Warranty Warrantyless...

Technical Details:

Phone Model: SPH-L710
    Android Version: 4.1.2
    CyanogenMod Version: 10-20121021-NIGHTLY-d2spr
    Carrier: Sprint

If you need more info please let me know =)

Wow moments later after posting this I found this!~

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1904099

This is what I'm looking for... Never mind!~ Thanks anyway!! I hope this helps someone out so I'll just leave it here!~
    Bigginers Question

Hope you can help me here.
    I am not a techie, but am aware that by rooting I can do more with my phone, namely the use of certain apps like Titanium Backup, so I rooted my phone - quite straight forward.

I am now getting messages to upgrade the phone, but I can not whilst it is rooted, so I am now looking at this thread. It looks straight forward, and have cleared the counter using TriangleAway app. I am now about to load the non-rooted OS/Firmware. Once this is done, do I just re root my machine as before, or will that then put it back to the previous OS level????

At the end of the day, all I am really looking for is a machine that is rooted and on latest SW/OS release.

This may sound like a stupid question, and it probably is, but I would like to know.

PS: Many thanks for all this hard work you have put in to this and for sharing it.