[Q] Looking to update older phone onto newer rom

Search This thread

zookeeper525

Apr 14, 2011
I've not touched my phone in over a year (at least it seems that way)

I'm on an older version on Android (4.1.2) and baseband MD4

What do i need to flash one of these new roms? I haven't flashed or checked up on roms etc in a long time. So i'm kind of lost with all this new ND8 stuff.

Any help would be great, as to what i need to do in order to flash a newer rom.

Higgs_Boson

Jul 7, 2012

What do i need to flash one of these new roms? I haven't flashed or checked up on roms etc in a long time. So i'm kind of lost with all this new ND8 stuff.

Ignore the ND8 stuff, as that is indicitive of a newer modem and bootloader, and you would be getting yourself deep into Samsung KNOX territory. If you don't know what KNOX is, there's plenty of info on it here on XDA and on the web. All I can say is be careful with KNOX.

If you flash PhilZ recovery via ODIN and your ROM of choice and GAPPs via PhilZ, you shouls be good to go.

PhilZ DL link:

https://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_Advanced_Edition/d2lte/

.MD5 files are for ODIN, .zip files are for later updating the recovery within the recovery.

GAPPs DL link:

http://paranoidandroid.co/gapps/

Last edited:
Reactions: zookeeper525

zookeeper525

Apr 14, 2011
Ignore the ND8 stuff, as that is indicitive of a newer modem and bootloader, and you would be getting yourself deep into Samsung KNOX territory. If you don't know what KNOX is, there's plenty of info on it here on XDA and on the web. All I can say is be careful with KNOX.

If you flash PhilZ recovery via ODIN and your ROM of choice and GAPPs via PhilZ, you shouls be good to go.

PhilZ DL link:

.MD5 files are for ODIN, .zip files are for later updating the recovery within the recovery.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2768483

that is the rom that i'm looking to flash. It says that i need to be on ND8 or it will brick my phone. So do i need to flash a stock ND8 rom or something with the philz touch recovery?

Is there a tutorial some where for flashing PhilZ? I don't really remember how to use ODIN.

Higgs_Boson

Jul 7, 2012

that is the rom that i'm looking to flash. It says that i need to be on ND8 or it will brick my phone. So do i need to flash a stock ND8 rom or something with the philz touch recovery?

Is there a tutorial some where for flashing PhilZ? I don't really remember how to use ODIN.
If you have your sights on that ROM, I encourage you to read that thread's original post carefully.

There is a link where you should direct your questions regarding that ROM.

As for using ODIN, it's quite simple. Just download it and run the program from the folder directly (no installation required). Choose "PDA", find the recovery file (.MD5), and press start.

If the recovery doesn't stick, you may have to uncheck the "auto-reboot". Retry the flashing process. Once finished (should read "PASS" in green), unplug the USB remove the battery, re-insert the battery while holding Power+Vol UP+Home. That should take you into PhilZ.

zookeeper525

Apr 14, 2011
If you have your sights on that ROM, I encourage you to read that thread's original post carefully.

As for using ODIN, it's quite simple. Just download it and run the program from the folder directly (no installation required). Choose "PDA", find the recovery file (.MD5), and press start.

If the recovery doesn't stick, you may have to uncheck the "auto-reboot". Retry the flashing process. Once finished (should read "PASS" in green), unplug the USB remove the battery, re-insert the battery while holding Power+Vol UP+Home. That should take you into PhilZ.

What version of ODIN are you using? I got "Odin-v3-09" off google and there doesn't seem to be a "PDA" option.

zookeeper525

Apr 14, 2011
I use 3.07, but the "AP" option will flash it for you.

Do i have to boot into download mode or something to flash the recovery?

If i just have my phone on this is all it does

<ID:0/003> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> philz_touch_6.25.0-d2lte.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..

I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong.

zookeeper525

Apr 14, 2011
Yes, boot into Download Mode. Power+Vol Down+Home.

Hm, it connected to the phone that time, but it failed.

ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> recovery.img
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Would it be better if i just flash a stock ND8 rom and then reflash the phone?

Higgs_Boson

Jul 7, 2012

Try ODIN 3.07 and use the PDA option. Not sure if that'll help, but give it a go.

Reactions: zookeeper525

jbnorton0524

Feb 8, 2014
The ND8 works great for some, and others dont like it. Personally id flash ND8 as i get better LTE signal with it. After ND8 boots flash philz recovery in odin 3.07 like he suggested.. go back to recovery and root with the philz option, under the "advanced" menu i believe, and install supersu on the stock rom. Run supersu and it will prompt you to disable knox, just hit yes. Then update to your rom of choice.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

PhilZ DL link:

GAPPs DL link:

http://paranoidandroid.co/gapps/
    What version of ODIN are you using? I got "Odin-v3-09" off google and there doesn't seem to be a "PDA" option.
    I use 3.07, but the "AP" option will flash it for you.
    Yes, boot into Download Mode. Power+Vol Down+Home.

Try ODIN 3.07 and use the PDA option. Not sure if that'll help, but give it a go.